Why I don't smoke a pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
So I would really love to smoke with my husband. I would also really love to drink a glass of wine with him. The problem is that I get tounge bite, BAD. It doesn't matter how I smoke I always get the same feeling. On the same note, I cannot get past the tannins in wine. They are bitter and that is the only thing my pallet picks up. Is there something I can try, or something I'm doing wrong

What tobaccos have you tried? The degree of bite varies wildly between blends.

Try a Peterson P-Lip with some Frog Morton On The Town.

Also, a filter pipe can help pull a lot of moisture out of the smoke, preventing steam burn on the tongue and palate.

Seconding what was recommended above, try the Boswell's Christmas Cookie I sent your husband a sample of in a MM Cob - with the filter in place. I wholeheartedly agree about the filter helping in a case like yours.

The Christmas Cookie is a very mild blend (which tastes and smells great BTW) and I've never had the slightest hint of tongue bite with it.

Hope this helps.

8)

Scotties, I think we all got tongue bite when we first started. If you start with blends less likely to bite and only smoke maybe twice a week, after a couple of months the mouth toughens and you will start to get all the benefits without the agony.

Just sip on the pipe enough to keep it burning without it getting to hot. Have a cool drink to sip on. When you feel your tongue has had enough, dump the pipe out.

Some of the richest flavor often comes at the bottom of the pipe when the dottle starts to burn. Unfortunately if the dottle is damp, when you see a lot of smoke there is also hot steam. This tasty period is also likely to bite you.

Tongue bite from tobacco is alkaline; tongue bite from wine is acidic. Try both together, perhaps?

(Coffee works, too, as Yak notes above.)

With new smokers I notice one common practice that's certain to provide immediate tongue bite issues, they blaze up and puff away like a steamship, trying to get a lot of smoke and flavor. A big burning cherry blazing up from the bowl, thick plumes of smoke blown. This is not how it's done. No variety of tobacco will allow for this without producing ill results. If you pack the bowl so it is a little looser below and a little tighter (a little, not a lot) on top, then patiently light it, let it go out, and repeat a couple of times, you can slowly sip away at it and get nice subtle flavors that will not maim your tongue. Also, starting with a smaller bowl and trying to caress the smoke along will produce better results than a wide deep bowl that will tend towards a bigger fire inside. The idea is a small, just barely maintained smolder. I'd reccomend you carve yourself a little group 3 prince shape and break it in with a nice mild burley, like Uhle's 00, Peretti's Thanksgiving Day, or the like. I'd stay away from aromatics as they tend to bite and actually have less flavor, inducing heavier puffing in search of more flavor. Virginias can bite the novice as well. A simple, mild, American burley is the way to go, IMHO.

For me, tobacco and wine do not mix well. Coffee is best, tea is good too. If you want to enjoy a glass of something nice with your husband away from your pipe, try a nice ruby port 8)

Thanks guys. Some new things to try. I have been meaning to carve a pipe for myself anyway. I have a churchwarden going for my mom and then maybe I'll make myself something special. I will give coffee a try with the next pipe I smoke. I love me a good cup of jo.

Great list of preventive measures! One more -- I recently read somewhere an article on twin bore bipes. These are pipes that have two air holes instead of one in the mouthpiece. Inside the mouthpiece the airholes come together in a "Y" shape long before the reach the tenon. The writer asserted that this design (which seems puzzling when I first saw it) is intended to eliminate tongue bite, a malady which he also is troubled by. He said he tried a pipe with two bits, one twin bore, the other a standard fish tail. With the latter he had the dreaded bite. With the former, nada.

The bidness end of the mouthpiece looks double barreled.

Try a nice middle English.

I've taken to drinking Gator Aid while smoking. Whether it's an antidote to tongue bite is more than I can tell you. But it does come in a variety of different flavors and, 'round these parts, it only costs .88 for a quart.

Try white wine, like Sauvignon Blanc, of which I'm quite fond. No tanins in white. Or at least, I don't think so. If hubby likes a nice Chianti or Carbernet Sauvignon, you'll have double trouble.

Good luck, Scotties...the Brothers have covered the bases.

There's a bit of "tongue toughening" you have to endure no matter how mild the smoke, this much is true--take it from someone with a bit of a sensitive palate. The good news is, it gets better...much, much better! It won't take long. Keep trying stuff until you find one that works. There's no shortage of Brothers there that will help a Sister out with samples, if needed. :)

One thing I'll add is some of the aged Burleys, such as those made by Wessex and Solani I have handed over to new smokers and they've been a smash-hit!

8)

All good advice guys. I do have to second Kyle's suggestion of aged burley. I frequently get sick and can't smoke for several weeks at a time. If I jump back in with most of my usuals I get bit bad. So I crack open my ancient glass tub of Prince Albert. Usually that does me up a right treat. At 72 it's still going strong but has learned to be gentle. Let me know if you're interested in giving it a shot.

Jim

Oops. Forgot to suggest calling Carol Burns at Pipeworks and Wilke. She is the proprietor of this ancient and honorable establishment, a member in good standing of the female persuasion, and a skilled tobacconist. I'm sure she could outfit you with an appropriate sampler and possibly a nice female-friendly briar. Good luck.

As to the wine side of this. Though a fine wine is a good thing. A fine aged beer is often better, get a good barrel aged craft beer and enjoy.

I actually brew my own beer. I have been known to enjoy an Old Ale from time to time. Thats about as far into anything containing alcohol as I get. I'm not good at drinking, so I gave it up a long time ago. I have tried more than once to enjoy wine and it just hasn't happened. My mom said she didn't start liking wine until she was 35. Maybe I just need to wait a few more years.

I will look Carol up for sure. Thanks for that.

Scottie

scotties22":bp3xza5u said:
I actually brew my own beer. I have been known to enjoy an Old Ale from time to time. Thats about as far into anything containing alcohol as I get. I'm not good at drinking, so I gave it up a long time ago. I have tried more than once to enjoy wine and it just hasn't happened. My mom said she didn't start liking wine until she was 35. Maybe I just need to wait a few more years.

I will look Carol up for sure. Thanks for that.

Scottie
Gracious, Scottie,
You are the ideal pipe smoker's wife. Not only do you want to smoke with your man, you brew beer too. What a great combination!

My wife wants to smoke with me, but has allergy and lung issues that preclude it. I'm just tickled she still wants to do so and still encourages me to smoke. Good luck finding the right tobacco & pipe.

Try some BCA from Lane - a vanilla flavored black cavendish that makes a great bite free starter tobacco and makes the house smell like heaven to boot...