Why is the Canadian Shape called a Canadian?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigham

Reaction score
I've yet to get a satisfactory answer to this question. Dunhill has a Lumberman; Woodsman has been used; and Canadian is the standard. I understand the subtle differences the length of the shank and different stems and oval versus round make on the determination of a Canadian/Lumberman/Lovat/Liverpool. But where did the term Canadian come from originally?

Here is a discussion from 14mos ago regarding origins of shape names. It dose not answer your question, but may be useful as a jumping off point.
https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12055-the-origins-of-standard-shape-names

My understanding is that the term 'Canadian' for description of a pipe came first. The early French explorers adopted the native american design of the smoking pipe (the calumet) with its flattened shank/stem carved and drilled from a single piece of wood, with the bowl carved from pipestone from what would become southern Minnesota. The French explorers, being traveling men, naturally reduced the length of the shank/stem to be more handy. When pipes began to be made from briar, the shape was retained, as it was a favorite of many French-Canadians at the time; some of which had emigrated to the USA.

The term 'Lumberman' was coined by Swedish emigres working in the lumbering business in the northern tier of the USA, from Michigan west to Washington and Oregon. They liked the style of the 'Canadian', but due to ill feelings over boundary disputes on timber tracts, wanted to call the pipe design by a name other than 'Canadian'.

Accurate account? Who knows? But it was told to me by my great-grandfather, who was a steam locomotive engineer who worked in the Washington state logging area in the late 1800's.

Wow Outlaw,
Thats pretty interesting! It sure makes sense. And, coming from your Great Grandfather, I bet its true.
Nice

LOL :D ,
Seiins how we are here, and on the subject of Canadians(style)
Brigham,,,Do you yourself smoke a Canadian Style? I see you have 9 Brighams. Do you own a model 19 ?

Dusty, I saw your inventory list and thought I would bring mine up to date. Those are the pipes I have here at home. I'll add the office inventory shortly. The "collection" does include at least 3-4 Brigham Canadians including a Dunhill Lumberman (same thing). I know I have the first #19 that was cut at the EU factory which I turned myself (after someone who knew what they were doing set it up for me). The decision to bring the #19 back into the Brigham fold just made sense being Canadian and all and was near and dear to me.

EC, thank you for the explanation. This is the best I've heard. I assumed it had something to do with the voyageurs but no one has been able to make the connection for me. Greatly appreciated.

Swell factoid, Outlaw. Thanks. I had wondered myself, just wasn't on the front burner. :lol:

8)

It does sound plausible.

But then it makes me wonder about "Liverpool" . . . and "Dublin" . . .

(?)

:face:

I believe EC Outlaw hit the nail on the head. Best explanation i've ever heard! Especially plausible coming from someone who was actually in that area - EC's Great Grandfather.

Yak - Rhodesian and Bulldog? Who knows... I've never understood exactly how they relate a Bulldog to the shape that we are all familiar with. There are still arguments as to the true differences between a Rhodesian and a Bulldog. Where did it start? Where will it end? You're guess is as good as mine, Brother.

I've always heard that the Bulldog shape resembles a bulldog's (dog) head when viewed from (pardon the pun) head on. Rhodesians, I assume, have been given the name to differentiate between the shank and stem cut (taper vs. saddle); but what do I know?

I know I like 'em, my favourite shape after long-shanked billiards, be they Canadian, Lovat, Lumberman, or Liverpool in nomenclature.