Why Robert is called "beebiz"....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
Bruins sent me a PM this afternoon in which he asked if I kept bees or if "beebiz" was because of something else. After so many of you enjoyed the true story that I told about me, my Granddaddy, and the stone, I decided I'd post this true story as well. I hope you, my brothers, enjoy it!!

For years, I had wanted to keep honeybees! I could remember my mother's father doing so when I was a very small boy. I remembered the good time that he had working with his bees. And, I remembered even better the marvelous taste of the honey that he would harvest from them.

But, the hobby had always been a bit cost prohibitive for me. Every time I would get within sight of having enough cash to get started, something more pressing and/or important would arise and deplete the funds.

I don't remember the particulars concerning exactly how, but I learned of an elderly gentleman who had to quit keeping bees because of his health. I was told that he had a tremendous amount of equipment and might be willing to part with it in such a way that I could afford it. So, I went to see him.

Sure enough, he had mega amounts of hive bodies, medium supers, honey supers, frames, and foundation (all parts that make up the honeybee hive). And, much of it was brand new... had never been assembled or painted! Additionally, he had a bee suit, gloves, a couple of veils, a couple of hats (all of which fit me like I had ordered them for myself), and a smoker.

After spending over half of the day with the old gentleman, talking bees and life, and looking through all of his equipment, I finally told him that I needed to get back home before my wife got worried about me (fat chance... she knows two things... one, I'm long winded... and two, she's just not that lucky :lol: ). "But, before I go... I'd like to know something," I said. "There's no doubt I'd love to have what you've got. But, I just don't know how in this world I could financially afford to buy everything you've got. But, maybe I could afford to buy enough for a few hives. How much would you take for the clothing, smoker, and enough stuff to make up 5 or 6 hives?"

The old gentleman lifted his cap with one hand and brushed his eight to ten remaining hairs back toward the back of his head; then, placed the cap back on his head. This coupled with the look on his face, told me that he was doing some serious calculating!! And, I should probably brace myself!!

"Well... you do realize that if you had to go and buy everything I have here, it would cost you several thousand dollars, right?"

I assured him that I was aware of that. I told him to name his price. And, I said that if I could meet his price, I would be back early Saturday morning to get the stuff.

Then, he thought some more as he once again did his ritual with his hat and hairs. He finally said, "Tell you what... you got a trailer you can pull behind that truck or yours?" I said that I did. "You show up Saturday morning about 7:00 AM with your truck and trailer. And, we'll talk price then!" I agreed and left.

Saturday morning, 7:00 AM found me knocking on the old gentleman's door. He came outside and instructed me as to where to put my truck and trailer. And, after doing so and exchanging pleasantries with him, I asked if he had come to a decision about the price.

He told me that he would tell me what to load and I could do the loading. As for price, he said that he still wasn't sure. But, he said that he'd think about it as I loaded things. He also said that he was sure that I would be able to afford his price.

Once we had the truck and trailer loaded... each rounded full... and, I had everything tied down, I again inquired as to his asking price for the items. He said that he still didn't know for sure. But, said that I still lacked a good pickup truck load of stuff getting it all. "You go unload that stuff and get back here quick as you can. And, we'll talk price then."

In a way, I dreaded this. I was so afraid that I would get the stuff unloaded at my house only to find out that I couldn't afford it; then have to load it back up and take it back to him! But, I did as I was told... without question or complaint.

When I got back, the old gentleman still hadn't decided on a price. And, despite my protest, he insisted that I load the balance of the items on my truck. Seeing that the old gentleman was at least as hard headed as I was, I finally gave in and did his bidding.

Once we finished and I had the load tied down, I made one final inquiry as to how much I owed the old gentleman for everything I had gotten. Once again, the old gentleman did his dance with his hand, hair and cap. And, by this time I had half way figured out that this was the old gentleman's way of aggravating me and keeping me in suspense!!

Finally, he said, "Son... based on what you've said and what I've seen, I'd bet you don't have the cash to pay me what I would want for all that stuff. But, I hate to see it sit and rot down in my barn. So, tell you what I'll do. If you will promise me that you will use and enjoy that stuff and will promise to bring me a couple quarts of your honey... when you can spare it... all of it is yours... no charge!!!"

I couldn't believe my ears!! I asked the old gentleman if he was sure he wanted to do that. And, he assured me that he was. I promised him the two things that he asked for. We shook hands. And, I went home.

Over the next few days, I went through the items that the gentleman had given me. And, I took inventory of everything. Then, based on what I knew the items would cost if bought new, I guestimated how much everything would have cost me if buying it new. It was upwards of $8,000!!!! And, for what... not one thin dime more than my gas and time to get it, a promise to use and enjoy it, and a promise of a couple quarts of honey... once I could spare it!!!

Needless to say, the old gentleman got all the free honey that he and his wife could eat!!! And, they got it up until the day that they died!!!!

Now... for the rest of the story.....

Just a few years ago, I began getting in bad physical condition... quick! And, I knew it wouldn't be long and I would no longer be able to care for my bees and their hives.

Through a friend of a friend who was a friend of a friend... and, so on, I learned of this young (mid twenties) fellow who was interested in the hobby, but couldn't afford to get started right. Ring a bell?? It did with me!! Long story shortened a bit... I got in touch with the guy and invited him out to my bee yard.

Each of the three times that he came, his eyes danced and his mouth watered as he admired my bees and hives. Each time, he told me how much he wanted a setup like mine... some day... when he could afford it.

As he was getting ready to leave at the end of the third visit, I told him that I had sold my bees and hives to a fellow who didn't have the means to move them all. I asked him if he would be interested in earning two hives of bees and some spare equipment for himself by moving the bees for me. He eagerly assured me that he would. I told him when to come back and to make sure he had a long trailer with him. He said he would.

The night before he came, I went out to my bee yard and closed all the hives up so the girls couldn't fly the next morning. That way, I'd be assured that very few bees would get left behind when they were moved. As I closed them up, I did so with tears in my eyes. But, there was joy in my heart for what I had planned.

The next morning, the young man showed up with his pickup and trailer. When we got out to the bee yard, he asked if I would tell him which two hives would be his. I told him that I wasn't quite sure yet. "Let's get'em loaded up first. Then, I'll inspect them better and let you know," I told him.

After we got them all loaded up, I walked around and looked at each one... as if I were inspecting all of them. Then, I stood back and looked at them. Finally, the young man asked me if I had been able to decide which two hives I wanted to give him.

I crossed my arms across my stomach and said, "You know... I can't tell much difference between these hives! So, I guess I'll give you the last two that we loaded. Is that alright with you?"

He said that was fine with him. Then, he asked where the rest of the bees would be going.

"I'm sorry, but I don't have the address. So, I really don't know!"

I wish you could have seen the look on his face!! He was obviously bewildered and just a tad upset! All that work... and, I didn't even know where they were going!!!

Then, I asked, "You got a penny you can give me?"

He reached in his pocket, pulled one out, and handed it to me.

I said, "Son... I gave you those two hives in exchange for hauling these bees to their new home. And, I don't know the address where they are going... because I don't know your address!!" He now had a very, very puzzled look on his face!! "You see, I just sold the rest of the hives and equipment to you for one penny!!"

He teared up as he hugged my neck and thanked me repeatedly!!!

The next afternoon, he came back and got the rest of my beekeeping equipment. And, with the exception of him bringing me some honey on two occasions, I never saw him or my bees again.

But, rather than think of this an ungrateful young man, I prefer to think of him as being so busy with taking care of my girls that he just hasn't had time to come back and visit me! I at least hope this is the case!!

So, the short version of the answer is, yes, Bruins... I used to keep bees. But, I don't anymore. :(

Robert

Yep. P.I.F.

Pay It Forward.

This is authentic human nature coming out and showing itself.

The finance criminals invented the currently supposed predatory one to justify their depredations. But people -- here especially -- keep demonstrating the falsity of it.

:face:

Great story Rob, thanks for sharing!!!!!!
Amazing stuff really!!! :cheers:
I think you have now found a place you can call home!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You need to write a freakin' book, my friend! I don't even care what it's about. I just want to read it!

Thanks for sharing that amazing story Rob. In a world were neighbors barely greet each other and people hustle about their daily business without an inkling of a thought of those around them it really warms the heart to hear of such tales. You have a wonderful way with words and your stories certainly keep me transfixed. That my friend is your gift to all of us here on BoB, your ability to enthrall us with your words. Keep it up and thanks again for sharing.
:study: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Very cool story, thanks for sharing. You are definitely one of the good guys.

you know Robert, I like you more and more each day...

check your 'my pipes' thread when you get a chance

Pete

Great story. I haven't got much to add apart from the really good replies above, but that made my day. Thanks Robert.

so this can be the bees thread, beebiz. great story. i asked you hoping you did have something to do with bees. we have a shortage of honey bees in our area and i have some extra land where i could keep some. thing is, i don't want to mess with getting honey or getting stung or any of that. i just wanted to put up a couple hives to help out the population and leave it bee (i mean 'be'. ha!) so my question is, can i do that? or do they need constant looking after? thanks for your expertise!

Great story!!

I have been wanting to build a few hives myself but I have way to many hobbies so it has to rest until I have time.

I was planning to do topbar hives which is uses bars that the bees build natural comb to their desired size with out using foundation. This makes lifting much easier as only the top is removed and each bar can be manipulated separately.

As far as dropping a hive out in the field and leaving it alone it can be done. My bro-in-law who was a farmer did this but each year he had to buy more bees as they usually didn't survive the winter or they were destoyed by skunks, or other animals.

If you don't manage the hive properly in the spring nature takes its course. A strong hive will swarm and you may lose your bees. If you can see the swarm building you can catch it with a nuc or transfer a cluster with some comb and the bees will take care of the rest. Robber bees can kill a hive, illness and mites can kill it as well.

If you contact your local county Agriculture extention office they can point you to a beekeeper who may be willing to drop a few hives on your property for you. You just have to allow him to tend them. Many do this in exchange for a share of the harvest.

Here is a great forum for learning/interacting with bee keepers Beesource

Teriffic story.

We were going to get my friends some starter beekeeping stuff as a housewarming gift... thank goodness we waited--a few days before we planned to order, she found out (after 30 lucky years without a sting) that she's severely, Epipen allergic.

I'd keep 'em myself if my yard weren't so tiny.

thanks for the info laearl. sounds a bit more complicated than i was thinking. yeah, the last thing i need is another hobby. (that's pipe and baccy money man!)

Gentlemen, please allow me to apologize for not replying sooner. About 15 minutes or so after I made my last post last night, our Poodle whose name is Cuddles began having babies! Between that time and around 7:00 AM this morning (Central Time in the US), she had 3 pups! My wife... my best friend in the world... and I were by her side... comforting and assisting her the entire time.

The 2 smaller pups (a boy and a girl) survived and are doing great. The other one (a boy) got wedged in the birth canal and took several hours to be born (don't know which one grunted and pushed more... me... my wife... or Cuddles :D ). He was stillborn. Though sad, it is just something that happens sometimes. And, Piet, I have no doubt that he and Laker are having a blast at Rainbow Bridge!!! :)

I thank you all for all of your kind words concerning the story! And, I am so pleased that you enjoyed reading it!! Writing is something I love to do. And, I'm just long winded enough to have a difficult time of telling the "short" of it... straight to the point!!!

I was blessed/cursed at birth with a gift for gab! I've never, ever met a stranger in my 50 years of life! I can even remember hearing my mother telling others about how as such a little boy... barely able to put sentences together... I would stand and talk to adults... just like I was as big as they were!!! :D

Nitschke066":q25yflrw said:
You need to write a freakin' book, my friend! I don't even care what it's about. I just want to read it!
Thank you, my brother! My wife, mother and father have been after me for the past eight to ten years to do just that. But, I just find it hard to believe that very many people would find anything I had to say that interesting... at least... interesting enough to pay to read it!!

But, since I know that you and some of the other brothers like to read, I'll tell you what I'll do. I have a few "stories" that I can tell. I have written a few of them as school papers (all lost in our December 3, 2003 house fire). And, some of them, I have never written. But, if you or any of the other brothers are interested, I'll get some of them written down, print them out, and mail a copy to you... at no charge! I just don't think it would be very practical to post them here or to try and email them.

The only three "catches" to this are these. First, once you have read the stories, I would like an open, honest, no holds barred opinion of my writings. No, this is not vanity driven. As I told Piet, there's not a vain bone in my body. I just simply would like to have your opinions! I respect them!!!

Second, please be patient with me. I will need time to properly relocate these stories from my mind to hard copy. And, then I will need to proofread them for mistakes. I want only the best for my brothers!! And, if there are very many of you who would like a copy, it may be that my financial constraints make it such that it will take me some time to get the copies mailed to everyone who wants one!

Third... and, I know this goes without saying... but, saying it makes me feel a bit better! ;) Please never have any of the stories published as your own writing or without my permission.

That's it!

What do you gentlemen think? If you are interested, please say so. And, when I begin, I will start a thread saying so. And, I will keep you posted as to the progress of my stories!

Peter, my brother... I will simply say that you, sir, are a good egg!!! ;) Thank you!!!!

LAEarl, your idea of keeping bees in a top bar hive is a very good one! After I let that young man have mine, I built two top bar hives that I kept for three seasons before I lost them to a predator. They were the easiest and most fun hives to work that I had ever had! Just make sure you respect the "bee space" when you build them... to help the girls to keep their combs straight and to ward off excessive burr comb building!! And, make sure that you remove any crooked or misshapen combs as soon as you find them!

A side note... when I had my top bar hives, it was easy to get a crowd to gather at my house. All I had to do was to let a few folks know that I would be working the hives... without my bee suit. Once a few people would show up, I'd go out to the hives and work through them... wearing nothing except my short shorts and my sandals!!! The girls (working force of any beehive) would be in a fog around me and would be all over me. Folks were amazed by how I could do that... without getting stung! But, I don't know which was the greater draw for them... the sight of me, surrounded and covered in bees without getting stung... the "sample" of honey that I would give each one who wanted it... or, the sight of me... shamelessly showing off my gorgeous, five feet, ten inches tall, two hundred and forty pound body... in nothing more than a pair of short shorts and sandals!!! :lol!:

Brother Bruins, LAEarl has given you some sage information and advise. Simply setting a hive of bees in a field and leaving them to their own devices can work. But, I'll guarantee you that it will only work for a short time. There are just too many diseases and predators that afflict the honeybee for them to last long. That and pesticides are the two biggest reasons for such a huge decline in the honeybee population in your and other areas of the world.

If you find the right beekeeper, he or she (yes, people of the female persuasion keep honeybees too ;) ) will be tickled pink at your offer to let them keep bees on your place!! It would be a "no muss... no fuss" situation for you. And, you could do it however you wanted... get paid some cash for it... get paid some honey for it... or get paid by simply enjoying the bees and knowing you are helping a local farmer's crop's pollination out!!!

My brothers, please forgive me. But, after only around 3 hours sleep last night, this is one very tired, worn out old man!!! :lol: And, because of that, it may be that today I won't be around the board as much as I have been being. Again, please forgive me. But, I will try to check in a few times throughout the day. And, remember that although I may not be here posting, my thoughts will be with you, my brothers!!!

Have a wonderful, blessed day, brothers!!

Robert

PS
If any of you are interested in reading my stories as I mentioned above, don't forget to speak up and let me know. If you are not interested, it's no big deal. I will understand. And, my feelings will not be hurt in the least!! I would just like to find a way to repay my brothers who have been so kind to me!!! ;) Blessings to you all!! And, good day!!!!! :)

A good plan here........
Since we all like the stories Rob,
.......Why not post them up on the bookshelf to share with the bro's!!!

:cheers: :cheers:

Oh my goodness, brother Piet!! You have made my head swell so that I'm going to have to forgo the sleep and go soak my head in some Epsom Salt water... to reduce the swelling!!! :lol!:

I'm sure you know that I am only kidding! Regardless of whether it happens or not, I am honored and humbled at the thoughts of such!!

There is one and only one thing that concerns me about posting my stories in a public forum. I hate a liar and a thief... equally!!! If one will lie to you, they will steal from you!!! The obverse is equally true!!!

I feel that we are extremely fortunate that we have none as members. But, the cold, hard truth is that this world is filled with unscrupulous individuals who would think more about which soda they wanted with their cheeseburger than they would about stealing my stories.

Once again, please understand that my concerns are not at all vanity based! As I have already conveyed to you, there is not a single vain bone in my body!! However, the thoughts of someone stealing one (or all) of my stories and passing them off somewhere as their own is is gut wrenching to me!

I'm reasonably sure that my stories will never earn a dime. But, if they ever do, I want that dime!!! I don't want it for myself. I want it to better take care of my wife and our canine children!! And, just as important to me, I want that dime to share with strangers, good friends and family members of my choosing... like you... and my other brothers here at BoB!!

Truth be told, I might would have a selfish moment... in an instant of weakness... and use some of the money to buy myself another churchwarden or two... and, maybe a package or two of some good, quality tobacco!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

If we could work it out such that there would be little or no chance that some unscrupulous individual could steal my stories, I'd begin posting them as soon as I could... with permission, of course!! ;)

One last thing... and, maybe this is a tad vanity driven :oops: ... maybe not. I've not yet been able to decide. It is concerning the title. If possible, I would love to see it entitled, "Precious Memories (and, other ramblings of an old-fashioned country boy)." It is a name that I have envisioned every time I have allowed myself to entertain the idea of writing a book.

There are two reasons behind the title. First, "Precious Memories" was my first written story... and, is my favorite! Second, I am just as it says... "an old-fashioned country boy!"

That did it!!! I have got to go and try to get some shuteye!! And, I've got a few things I need to do this evening.

Let me know what you gentlemen decide and want me to do. I am your brother and willing servant!!

Talk to you later,
Robert

Reading this has gotten me even more anxious to keep bees! I've wanted to since I was little, and once I purchase a house, a couple hives will be my first investment. I think my apartment complex would frown upon hives on my patio :tongue:

Hi Robert, I might have a solution which will allow those brothers keen to read your stories an opportunity to do so and for you to save costs in terms of printing and posting your works. I would like to offer my services to create a secure website whereby your works would be published and only members who are explicitly granted permission may view the work.

You will have full access to the content and be able to update it as you wish. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in or if anyone has any other suggestions it will be welcome.