Why shave every day?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
A young bearded man who is a friend of my youngest daughter (mid twenties) mentioned how beards were so cool and asked why I shave every single day. My reply:

There's nothing like waking to the prospect of another day in this wretched hell and putting a razor to your neck. Tests one's inner strength.

I think I gained a little street cred with that one :) 

I don't make it a habit of shaving every day, hate it. Besides I go no where and need to impress no one. Granted I do shave from time to time and it's a good feeling afterwards but, that's where it ends for me. (I no longer have the beard, just a mustache)

It's easy to put a razor to your throat, the hard part is pulling it away.

For me it all really depends on what look or feel I'm going for. Whatever the reason, practical, fashion, etc.

Right now...it's cold in NE Ohio, so a beard it is. The wife also likes the beard, so it's an easy choice. Sometimes she likes me clean shaven or I get sick of grooming it, so a morning shave it is.

I like your angle though. I shave with a straight razor or DE safety razor. The straight can kill ya if you don't respect it, haha.

I'm working my way up to a straight. I have a couple of old Gillettes, a Tech and a New long comb. Some of those straights are gorgeous. Maybe next year.

Unless your in the military or work where full facial hair is frowned upon, there's no real reason to shave daily IMHO.  I shave usually just twice a week and life is fine !! One of the perks of being "retired" and single. :twisted:  :twisted:

Given the choice I'd have a beard or goatee all the time but facial hair is not allowed for safety reasons in the patch. "Shave Up To Mask Up". Daily.

Days off & down time it's just a trim to keep it neat. Not having to shave is one of the things I really look forward to when retirement comes along. tick tick tick

Fr_Tom":ceo20ate said:
For your amusement, the Field Guide to Pastoral Facial Hair

I LOOOVE definitions !! Makes life so EASY! :twisted: :twisted: 

I've had a full beard for virtually all of my adult life.

Just need to shave my neck once/wk.

Would love to have a long "frontier beard" (such as the guy on "Fast and Loud"), but alas mine grows like pubic hair!

:cry: 

Cheers,

RR

For me, it's shaving my head every day. I started shaving for the look and not for a lack of hair growth, and I told myself that if I was going to be bald on purpose, I'd better do it right. For me, that means no stubble, so I pretty much shave every day. About once a week or less I'll give my skin a break and wear a hat instead of shaving. But I almost never go out in public unshaven.

PS. The day I decided to start shaving my head was the day that Murphy's Law kicked in. I will unfortunately never go completely bald now...that would be too easy :evil: 

My feeling is that if you shave every day it makes it easier the next day.

I generally only bother to shave once or twice a month. I'm right handed and can't touch my face with my right hand. I only shave with a straight razor. So any more than that I feel would be taking unnecessary risks.

Jim

I quit shaving when I retired from the military in 1996. I keep the beard rather short and my haircut the same length. I can't stand the itch on my neck, so I shave the neck area in the shower.

I shave every day because it makes me feel good. However, ice fishing is here and I may need to protect my face with a beard.  :) 

Never fully shave 90% of my face. Shape the beard every 3 days (when the 10% gets shaved). Take it down to stubble every 8 weeks.