Why

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelhammer

Reaction score
What is the reason for using distilled water in humidification jars? I know all tap water is not created equal, but mine is very good here at home.

Kelhammer":zdqahk26 said:
What is the reason for using distilled water in humidification jars?  I know all tap water is not created equal, but mine is very good here at home.
Well, if you know it not to have Chlorine in it or any other additives for purifying it to be drinkable I would go ahead in use it. The reason to use distilled is because it doesn't have any of that in it.
My water is well water but, they have to put chlorine in it to make it safe enough to drink nowadays and I can actually smell it when I turn the tap on.

Yep, distilled water does not contain additives. Tap water has a bunch of them as well as minerals that all can interfere with humidification devices.

A gallon of distilled water costs less that $1 -- a solid investment.

If it's not distiller the minerals will eventually climb the system
They calcify in your beads, green moss, etc and don't let the system you are using regulate (release and adsorb) the water properly.

Trust me, don't get lazy use distiller it's a pain to buy a new system because the RH just won't regulate..... Ask me how I know :)

David

I always thought it was an anti-mold issue???

Regardless, $0.89 at Walmart for distilled water.

Yes mold will form easier at higher RH so that is def true (and by the way, an old copper penny ie real copper placed in the humidifier device will prevent mold) but the main reason is it just absolutely destroys the devices ability to maintain the RH properly after a few months of not using distilled. you'll still get mold if the RH is kept too high but not as quickly.

For me it was always laziness... and i paid for it every time. Now I just ask my much better half to always grab me couple jugs when I am down to 1 gallon.

David