Wiley

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinger4me

Reaction score
I would like ot know something about Wiley Pipes. A Wiley Freehand has come into my possession. A somewhat large pipe but nice, plateau on the top and some sandblasting on part of the pipe, nice grain. I usually don't smoke that large of pipe but it will be nice. THANKS for any information you can provide.

Are they good pipes? Were they "pricey"? Notable smokes or just okay? ANY INFORMATION OR EXPERIENCES WITH THE BRAND WOULD BE BENEFICIAL TO ME. THANKS for prompt response. Some pipe smokers are older and may never have had a freehand pipe let alone a Wiley.

I own only one. It's been a little troublesome to me due to the V-shaped tobacco chamber design (and the fact it's being broken in), but it's lightweight, beautiful and seems to be crafted nicely. Smoke it--you'll know if it's good for you or not. *shrug*

Freehand pipes just remind me of the 1970s, as that's when their popularity spiked. Not sure what to tell you about "older pipe smokers." I'm certainly not one. :lol:

I have a slightly skewed view of these pipes, being a pipe maker myself, so I'll tread carefully. Randy Wiley has been making pipes a long time so it's not like he's gonna go out and shoot himself if I say something disagreeable.

This is in my experience, I will not speak outside that.

The good: Super finish quality. Pleasant tasting pipe due to the oil curing process. Draw is fantastic and the button (tooth ridge on the stem) very finely cut.

The bad: Because of how they are machined, the stems are very thick right at the button. Uncomfortably so in my opinion. My pipe smoked pretty well and certainly tasted excellent, but it required a pipe cleaner half way through the smoke so as not to gurgle for the rest of the smoke. None of my other pipes require this. It was also uncommonly heavy due to being uncommonly large.

Wileys are decent pipes but if you are looking for a super thin bit look elsewhere, and if you are looking for a small, light pipe, again, this is not his specialty.

They are not, generally, super expensive pipes, as handmades go. Some of his higher grade pieces go for more, but a couple hundred bucks is the typical price range.

I can only speak from my one and only (so far) Wiley experience. It's a Rhody I got back about 10 yrs ago from my (then) local TB.

It's been a workhorse, and one that comes into almost daily use. I normally smoke Va/VaPers in it. And when I venture into other blends (like SG Navy like I will do later tonight) it doesn't hold any grudge against it with regard to falvor carry-over.

It builds minimal cake, and is a cool smoking machine. What''s not to like?

From there, I have yet to see a Wiley I'd like to acquire though. But I've been watching.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

I have two of his Galleon line. Got them about 10 years ago and at the time found this finish intriguing and different. I have enjoyed the pipes very much and do not hesitate to recommend them. I think they are a great value.

The Wiley's that I smoke are good performers, and I've not had any issues with gurgling as noted earlier. One of my favorite Wiley's is a Captain Earle that he created for Hermit Tobacco sometime in the 90s, a time when Kyle Weiss was throwing spitballs in the back of the classroom.

in my experience they have a fantastic open draw, huge stems at the bit, and are universally wet smokers. Oh, and they are much heavier than just about any pipe you'll own. I had a 150g Wiley once, just silly how heavy it was.

The stems are very nicely carved and substantial, just huge from having that 1/8" airway all the way from bit to chamber. The wet smoker part is a deal breaker for me. I would have liked mine for Burley pipes, but every one of them smoked wet.

The Wiley I have was the most expensive pipe I've bought to date, I think it was $240. I was making okay scratch that month, and the Tinder Box tempted me. Maybe it's just me, but I can't get it to perform the way I expected.

Sadly, Kevin, I wasn't the spitball kind. In fourth grade I was reading an old book about autopsy procedure on my own time and got sent a well-worn path to the principal's office. In first grade I was so impressed with my partial German heritage I was putting swastikas on all of my papers after my name. Yeah, the parents got called.

Anyway, I'm going to have a hard time buying a Wiley pipe again, maybe they're just not for me.

8)

Question about Wiley pipes - Does he oil cure all the briar he uses, or just certain lines of his pipes?

I ask because I have been on the prowl for the right Radice pipe just to have an oil cured piece in my collection, but I am seeing that Wiley's prices are quite attractive.

Radice no longer oil cures afaik, at least I haven't seen any marked as such in a few years. Your best bet for less costly oil cured briars are Ashton and Ferndown. I know every Ferndown pipe receives the treatment, I do not know if Ashton still does.

I've got a Wiley freehand bent Dublin that is a great pipe. I mainly smoke flakes in it and it is a dry, cool, smoker. Based on this pipe, I would recommend them. I guess YMMV.

DrumsAndBeer":0lu64pb4 said:
Question about Wiley pipes - Does he oil cure all the briar he uses, or just certain lines of his pipes?

I ask because I have been on the prowl for the right Radice pipe just to have an oil cured piece in my collection, but I am seeing that Wiley's prices are quite attractive.
I spoke with Bob Clark not long ago (www.clarkpipes.com) and learned that he has just about perfected an oil curing process for his hand-made pipes. Bob's a good guy and makes some nice pipes. No idea on prices, but for an oil-cured briar pipe, you might want to drop him an Email.

Dead link on my browser . . . (?)

:face:

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

rothnh":ackhjt0v said:
I spoke with Bob Clark not long ago (www.clarkpipes.com) and learned that he has just about perfected an oil curing process for his hand-made pipes. Bob's a good guy and makes some nice pipes. No idea on prices, but for an oil-cured briar pipe, you might want to drop him an Email.
Hey thanks!