Will burley "ghost" a pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
I am primarily a Va/VaPer smoker. I have a couple of pipes that I have dedicated to my occasional English blends. Lately I am smoking a lot more traditional burleys, mostly Carter Hall but have just ordered some Walnut for a try. My question is do I need to set aside some pipes for those as well? I know the Walnut is supposed to have some English type tobaccos in it, but how about CH or PA, will they wreck my Va pipes if I smoke them in those?

I'm sure there will be dis agreement on this.....

I say NO. The topping/casing/sauce might ghost the pipe but the burley wont. The other stuff in Walnut might present a problem but I don't know I've never tried it. (Can yall hear JP's gasp? )

Burley is nutty, pipe wood is nutty..

No offense here PB. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke! I'll keep right on smoking Walnut till there ain't no more, thank you.

Not really in my limited experience, at least not with normal burley. Maybe if you smoked a few bowls in a row you might be able to taste it a tiny bit in a straight VA, but a bowl or two should be minimal.

Dark fired burley/Kentucky is another story, that will ghost a fair bit (see: Irish Flake).

Thanks everyone for the comments. I've smoked a pipe on and off for almost 40 years (since I was 16) and should have known this, but until this past summer I couldn't stomach the taste of traditional OTC burley's. For some reason my taste has changed and most recently CH has become my daily puff, and it was actually JP who pushed me over the edge to order some Walnut which is just not available locally in any shape or form. Last night I decided to smoke some CH in one of my "nicer" Va pipes and that prompted me to post the question.

I think I need to try this much talked about Walnut to see what all the fuss is about!

Wide Awake":3aaw81gw said:
I think I need to try this much talked about Walnut to see what all the fuss is about!
PM your address and I'll send you a large sample, I've got more than I need,, :D

Mark anyone that has ANY has more than they need. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(Full disclosure: I've never tried it, I just rag on it to aggrivate JP, for all I know it might be the best thing on the market)

puros_bran":t4tkwpvv said:
Mark anyone that has ANY has more than they need. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
(Full disclosure: I've never tried it, I just rag on it to aggrivate JP, for all I know it might be the best thing on the market)
Well PB,,,,,,,,,Walnut will be on its way to you in the morning,,,,,,,,we'll expect a positive review,,,,,,or an apology to JP,,, :p :p :p

Straight burley (like Solani ABF or Wessex Burley Slice) will not ghost a pipe, but the topping in CH will. I like CH a lot, but if you smoke a pouchfull in one of your pipes, it will taste like CH topping (it tastes like figs to me) for a while. It is not the strongest ghost flavor by a long shot and won't permanently foul your pipe, but it will hang around for a while.