Winchester 94 Questions.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
I just picked up a Winchester 94 from 1977 today for $280 (Pics will be shown). I have a few questions for those pros out there (Plumbernator Specifically).

1. The lever is very loose, is there a way to tighten this, or is it supposed to be like this?

2. The Trigger is also very loose, same question applies.

3. I had a problem feeding also, two rounds seemed to be stuck in the tube, and only after 5 or 6 times of racking did they come loose. Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks fellas,
Zach

Post '64 Model 94's have looser levers so they won't freeze (supposedly) and loose trigger assemblies seem to be somewhat common, doesn't lead to crisp trigger pull for accuracy IMHO, the feeding issue you state could be a worn, or bent, cartridge stop on the carrier or the screw that holds the tube magazine has loosened you can check this one first and if this is the case some Blue Loctite on the screw will hold it once you've got the tube back in the correct position, you can check by feeding it using factory ammo, not that there's anything wrong with reloads but if the OAL differs a bit it could cause this problem as well. Best of luck....

I agree with fishnbanjo but, not knowing what you mean by Loose could me a badly worn firearm which may need more service. The looseness I'm use to is not to the extent of being sloppy. I love the Winchesters for that reason, not so dadburn tight it takes you both hands to chamber or eject a shell like some POS Marlins out there (that's just my opinion). Mine were great shooters and it seemed at times I just needed to point it instead of sight it to hit my mark (of course that's an exaggeration but, ya get the idea). I suggest taking it to a good gun-smithy and have it looked at.

Pay cartaphilus no attention on them marlins . I got four marlin levers. Dont get me or any one wrong. The winchester is a great rifle to. First thing you need to do is make sure its good and clean on the inside. They were made to be a little loose. The screw on the mag tube where it goes in the receiver, is a good suggestion to check as well. Also look for any dents in the mag tube. If that all checks out and is clean on the in side. You might want to check the follower in the mag tube for wear. That will have to be done by removing the mag tube. Front and rear band, and screws will have to be removed as well to get it off. Ill send you a schamatic on your rifle by PM. Again they are great rifles. My first 30-30 was a 94 made in 76. Wish I still had it, but she was stolen a long time ago. By the way we need pictures of that baby

Hey Plumbernator I'd really appreciate that schematic! I'll take her apart tonight than! Pics will be posted soon.
Zach

Here she is; "Samantha"...

For being almost 37 years old, she's in great condition, and still gets the job done! Hoping to go "Deer watching" with her soon!

Zach

I had a model 94, I didn't like it because of the top ejection, and the lever felt loose.One again though it was a 1993 model year though, dad's late 60's early 70's model has top eject but a much better lever. Mine however did drop my limit every year for 3 years before I upgraded to a 30.06 due to hunting farm lands with large open fields. I would like to have another lever gun and a mauser action 30.06 in the future though.

I was used to my Savage 99 when I picked up my '94; compared to the Savage it felt as loose as a Tijuana hooker. I thought there might be something wrong with it so I took it to a smith who said "that's a Winny for you." Probably a good idea to have it checked out to be sure, but a sloppy lever and trigger seem to be pretty standed on this model.

Cuervo25_1":d9rb4hpi said:
I had a model 94, I didn't like it because of the top ejection, and the lever felt loose.One again though it was a 1993 model year though, dad's late 60's early 70's model has top eject but a much better lever. Mine however did drop my limit every year for 3 years before I upgraded to a 30.06 due to hunting farm lands with large open fields. I would like to have another lever gun  and a mauser action 30.06 in the future though.
I wish they still made top ejects, for you see I'm a lefty with a rifle and I can't stand shells flying by my face. My old pre 60 94 Winchester top eject would fling on the brim of my hat and they'd roll off the back. But, I'm afraid wishing is all that I can do anymore.

I think a large part of the '94's success is because of the slop. The looser tolerances allow it to function clean, dirty, dry, wet, hot, or freezing--much like the AK-47 or Ruger Mini-14. Whether it was consciously designed that way or not I couldn't say. Either way, ya got a cool rifle there!

Anyhow, no matter how bad the feed is, it can't be worse than this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/brQi_T5RTAk" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thats why I like my mossberg. Its a proven tuff, reliable, shot gun. My set up will hold 7. If that want work I ve gotten myself in too big of a mess.

plumbernater":fopj4byo said:
Thats why I like my mossberg. Its a proven tuff, reliable, shot gun. My set up will hold 7. If that want work I ve gotten myself in too big of a mess.
LOL!!

I just posted the Utas review because I had a good laugh watching it the other day...its pathetic!

UTAS warning : Not for zombie/alien invasion defense.

First deer lots a guys ever took wuz with the 94...me included. I love a number of things about it including the straight English stock, designed for fast shooting like many classic upland bird guns. My favorite 94 was mine chambered in .356 Win. I had the action and barrel hard chromed and used it for Blacktail when I lived in SEAlaska. I also put a Williams aperture sight on it with the ghost ring and it was a dead shooter with the Winchester Silver tips as I recall. Been a good while though. But my recollection centers on light, sleek and deadly. Just the way I like 'em.

The one thing I'd say about yours, or any used item (and your photo does look good) is that if it doesn't function perfectly 100% of the time, then it's a loser. Ammo should feed into the tube fairly easily...rounds should rack from the tube into the chamber PERFECTLY every time with no catch or binding...and you should be able to shoot a 50 yd. group into a 3" circle while sitting with your elbows on your knees or standing with a leaning rest against a tree. That item is a woods rifle and that's the way you'll likely shoot it.

Often, polishing the feed ramp can make a big difference on how well it feeds. Let a pro do it! It'll never have a really first rate trigger, it's not in the cards on that design. But it's not a target piece. It's a dinner getter. The thing about the trigger is to be familiar with it.