Winter Smoke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloppy Joe Hemingway

Reaction score
My wife, while she doesn't mind the room notes of some of the tobaccos I enjoy, sends me outside when the pipe and toby comes out. Usually, I don't mind as sitting outside and reflecting on my day with a leisurely smoke hits the spot. However, living near the Windy City, winters are quite harsh around here and an outdoor hour smoke and relaxation are words that don't fit in the same sentence come January. What do you Brothers that exclusively smoke outdoors do when the weather turns bitter?

Well, I know that my living in the South disqualifies me, but I'm really from the same area you are living. For me, Winter is my favorite time of year and the cold air entices me to move outdoors. Pipes just seem to go so well with sweaters, scarfs, coats and hats. Nothing like a warm pipe in your hand and a flask to warm your insides on a cold night! I can stand it as long as it doesn't drop into the 20s or below. But a nice neighborhood walk in the 30s... that's good stuff! I always envy you guys living up North.

I'm willing to trade houses with anyone North of the Mason-Dixon... :lol:

When its really bitter cold I dont smoke, I wait it out for a day in the mid to upper thirties at least.Sometimes I bundle up and sit at a small table and chair in the garage with an electric heater on.

Granted, it's not going to get as cold here as Chicago (well, not too often, anyway). I sit in my car (and read if there's enough light) when it's too cold/windy to walk!

This may be too "old school" to even imagine, but I just smoke in the house.

:face:

If you both work and pay for the house, it's half yours. Smoke inside :twisted:

Smoking in the house will never be an option for me. It is a good thing I live in the south.

This subject comes up each year. There should be a "man-room" pod designed with good ventilation. Imagine a large shipping container that fit in a standard garage space. You could design the inside however you liked and move it if you ever traded houses.

J Soshae":qz0627hh said:
Smoking in the house will never be an option for me.
Same here. I could impose my will, but to what end?

I smoke outdoors, in the garage, or in my truck. Where I live rain is a bigger issue, but as long as I have cover, its all good... in fact its better than when its hot.

Yak":dndxkmho said:
This may be too "old school" to even imagine, but I just smoke in the house.

:face:
If I had a house, it might be an option; against the lease and even if it wasn't, the smoke alarm would go crazy!

I had friends last winter I was conning into smoking with me. There was 2 feet of snow on the ground so we'd bundle up in layers upon layers and head out to smoke. Talking and joking always makes it better no matter the temperature. You could always run down to Iwan Ries, I think they have a smoking section in the store....although I am uncertain. Who knows the PAD/TAD from smoking at a B&M might sway the wife into letting you smoke inside :twisted:

Well, over here the weather can be very strange and variable. Right now I'm having more trouble with high winds than with rain or cold, but I've dealt with them before... to your question Joe, I have some great hats that seem to help a lot - a waterproof bush hat from the outback of Australia that does a great job in rain, and a fur pilot-style Stetson for when its cold. That combined with a good heavy coat should see you right in most conditions. Admittedly, I look like a bit of a lunatic, but I don't really care what people think of how I look.

kaiser83":acdxz09u said:
I had friends last winter I was conning into smoking with me. There was 2 feet of snow on the ground so we'd bundle up in layers upon layers and head out to smoke. Talking and joking always makes it better no matter the temperature. You could always run down to Iwan Ries, I think they have a smoking section in the store....although I am uncertain. Who knows the PAD/TAD from smoking at a B&M might sway the wife into letting you smoke inside :twisted:
Ahaha, I wonder if this argument would sway my wife... Or if my wi-fi would keep my connected to you guys from my new digs in the doghouse! :lol:

I don't smoke inside, never have, never will. Luckily I live in an area where winter nights are not too cold. That said, I just grab a jacket, if it's going to freeze perhaps a sweater under a jacket, double my socks up, and sit out in the yard.

I love smoking a good Latakia mixture on a calm cold winter night. There are very few greater pleasures. If it's a windy winter night I smoke in the garage.

I just bought a small space heater (on sale!) and am clearing a space in the garage for my winter "smoke pit."

I don't smoke indoors. I have a comfortable deck and a metal/tile fire pit and lots of oak firewood. Sitting out there watching the moon and listening to crickets and frogs is more relaxing that being inside any day.

It'd be nice to have a workshop or a screened in porch for rainy days though. :)

DrumsAndBeer":4bb3vwjr said:
I just grab a jacket, if it's going to freeze perhaps a sweater under a jacket, double my socks up, and sit out in the yard.

I love smoking a good Latakia mixture on a calm cold winter night. There are very few greater pleasures. If it's a windy winter night I smoke in the garage.
What he said... this is one of life's greatest pleasures in my book. :D

I live in the Cleveland area, and spend most of the winter dealing with lake-effect snow right off of Lake Erie - so I hear you!

I'm not forced to smoke outside, but believe it or not, I quite enjoy smoking outdoors on those really bitterly cold evenings. Granted, I do it by choice and can always retreat indoors, but FWIW if you don't want to feel confined to your car or a garage, build a fire pit! Even when the wind chill takes things to single digits, a nice backyard fire warms you up...plus that combination of a hot fire in a frigid atmosphere makes pipe smoking a whole new experience. The only "work" involved is clearing a space in the snow for the fire and a place to sit (and yeah...that can be a bit of an undertaking at times, to be sure).