Wishful shopping

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshoowah

Reaction score
Do any of you ever just go to a pipe-related site and start adding tins of tobacco you're interested in just to see what it comes out to? I find myself doing this more lately. I never purchase though, probably because in good conscience I can't.

I just went to P&C and added every tobacco that has peaked my interest or that I simply enjoy. $350 total. Mind you, this was with a maximum of 2 tins per blend, with many only being 1 tin. Ah, 'tis the life to dream.

Never done it quite that way but, I have wish lists that are very long to say the least.
But, I've been known to when shopping in a real life store to gather up what I want in the cart to only put most of it back while talking myself out of most of it. You know, "yeah I need this like a hole in the head, and this is garbage you'll just get fat on, and that's just too pricey" etc. etc.  :fpalm:

I do that all the time. I then sleep on it and go through it again the next day. I do this until my order fits my budget. Lol.

joshoowah":a5knows8 said:
Do any of you ever just go to a pipe-related site and start adding tins of tobacco ... ?
Given the statistics, it's likely that each among us has done so ... I used to sell software to mid-sized online vendors that provided insight into this and other issues involved in maintaining their Websites ...

Despite the fact that partially loaded shopping carts are seldom seen abandoned in the aisles of brick/mortar stores, e-tailers have an average abandonment rate of 67% ... yes, that's right ... for every sale an e-tailer makes, he has two abandoned shopping carts to deal with ... different segments of the market have differing rates of abandonment, but 67% is the overall average ... reasons for this vary ...

statisia.jpg

I did that on P&C recently. Sometimes it helps to get a feel for what you want, then whatever you can talk yourself out of whatever you don't need, then pull the trigger once you've narrowed down the cart to an order you can afford.

Its online window shopping!

After 40+ years of smoking, there's not many blends/mixtures I really want to try, just my usual 5 or 6 "standards" I smoke regularly so never have this "problem", but I am a devotee of the KISS principle in living  :twisted: :twisted: 

I do that all the time. It helps me remember which blends I was wanting to try the most. Even when I do order, I almost always have to whittle down. I don't order often, since I usually try to hit the $100 free shipping threshold.

It also helps when a great deal pops up, like what P&C ran on IPSD. I got a Nana Ivarsson Stanwell pipe and a TON of goodies for $75. I knew I wanted some LBF and wanted to try some C&D Burley, so 8oz here and 4 oz there quickly got my order in at $100 before the pipe I wanted went OOS. BTW, I sold the pouch that came in that deal for $30, so I got the pipe and more than a pound of tobacco for $70.

I've done this in the past, in order to see what the total would be. Problem is, that if I go through the exercise I'm liable to carry through with it too.

:oops: 

Cheers,

RR

I buy far less than I used to. If I do fill a cart I am also doing the same cart at other vendors and comparing costs.

I don't worry about the free shipping threshold. It's still $60 more than what I typically spend.

gravel":bu6j726v said:
I buy far less than I used to. If I do fill a cart I am also doing the same cart at other vendors and comparing costs.

I don't worry about the free shipping threshold. It's still $60 more than what I typically spend.
I do the comparison shopping as well.

Did it once at 4noggins, was curious to see how much it would cost for some blends across the pond, I still had a ton of things I was curious about and my basket was already over $980, that was the end of that little fantasy!

Yep, I too enjoy "online window shopping" and end up buying nothing more often than not. When I do buy, it's during a sale/promotion and I gather enough items to score the free shipping.