WKRP The Great Turkey Drop...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2031

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Classic! :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PeCGURWzjwE" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Indeed a classic.

I heard that it was based on an actual event (at least a local talk show host here claims he knows the real fellow who tossed turkeys from a copter as a stunt).

Aristokles":6rninuuk said:
Indeed a classic.

I heard that it was based on an actual event (at least a local talk show host here claims he knows the real fellow who tossed turkeys from a copter as a stunt).
Yellville, Arkansas, (where my daughters roommate in college is from) has had a turkey drop for years. It started before WWII with throwing live turkeys off the county court house and the kids would chase them down. Then, some time in the '70s (I think that's when it started) they started dropping live birds from low flying Pipers. By the time I moved down here (1990) it was a well known event.

My daughter went up to Yellville her freshman year, and has some pictures of the turkeys being dropped from about 1,000 feet or so. The general rule seems to be they flap their wings like hell, fly for about 20 seconds, than become basically feathered bowling balls. There are lots of pictures of the damage they cause when they hit a car windshield, or a flat roof, or power lines. I wouldn't want to be under one.

But last year it was outlawed, and PETA and the state police were their this year to issue tickets if anyone tried.

Natch

I remember seeing that when it debuted. But, as a Junior in High School, I mostly remember Loni Anderson....

600full-loni-anderson.jpg