Women & Pipes - some for the sisters of briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schacht

Reaction score
Even though women dont´ seem to be a major audience here at BoB - in my opinion a pipe can be an incredibly elegant accessory and where I live, it seems to get popular. Anytime I go out on a vernissage (for example) there are pipe smoking women here and there.

These are some of the pipes my wife likes:

_SCH1786_web.jpg

_SCH1791_web.jpg

_SCH3135.jpg

_SCH3143_web.jpg

_SCH1071_web.jpg

_SCH1123%20_web.jpg

_SCH1083_web.jpg

_SCH1925_BW_2_web.jpg

My wife has never smoked a pipe, but recently (within the last few months) she's shown some interest in trying it "just once." Well, we'll see how that goes!

Airborne":8olkln72 said:
[…] Well, we'll see how that goes!
I hope you´ll take some pictures, and let us see as well how that goes.

Tanks for your comment and kind regards
Thilo

Beautiful and elegant!
I love the patina on the meer, and is that custom silver work?

I would think that a delicately shaped pipe with a thin bamboo shank might appeal to some female pipe smokers, although I'm probably stereotyping. Tsuge comes to mind.

Thanks a lot, Harlock. The silver work on that Meerschaum pipe was made by Nils Thomsen himself, the ring on the Churchwarden is made by latvian Gold/ Silversmith Aino Kapsta.

Yes, Tsuge´s style is for sure compatible to many women, but over the years I´ve learned that there are possibly differences between one woman and another. Such a Tsuge wouldn´t appeal to Christiane (my wife), but I have in fact another female friend, who looks like a half japanese Marlene Dietrich - Tsuges pipes would look great on her.

Schacht":p6zxcewr said:
I have in fact another female friend, who looks like a half japanese Marlene Dietrich - Tsuges pipes would look great on her.
She sounds interesting already!

Women and Pipes ......Uncommon but not unheard of.

Guy":smpddp4e said:
Is it really that uncommon that women smoke pipes over there in the land of opportunity? I´m a curious European now…
I heard that a certain Ms. Germanotta is a famous pop singer in the US and she has been seen smoking a pipe lately.

gaga.jpg

Schacht":nr9zv4s5 said:
Guy":nr9zv4s5 said:
Is it really that uncommon that women smoke pipes over there in the land of opportunity? I´m a curious European now…
I heard that a certain Ms. Germanotta is a famous pop singer in the US and she has been seen smoking a pipe lately.
From my observations playing guitar at various spots in the city. I know many women who smoke like hookah bars. Not so much having a big calabash hanging from the mouth (or any other pie).

One of my friends in grad school was a Sister of the Briar, but I fear she may have given it up. It's hard to know--our campus made it so difficult to smoke that she may well be puffing away where our paths do not cross.

Guy":b0wuabfr said:
[…] I know many women who smoke like hookah bars. […]
That´s very popular here as well. But many women seem to appreciate the somehow androgynous charisma of pipe smoking.

Beautiful pipes and beautiful photography! I wish I could take pictures like that!
These pipes indeed suit your lovely wife very well. I wish mine would try as well....

Thank you very much, Danny. If your wife really tries, please make sure you´ll have a camera at hand…

I hope all the sisters and brothers will have a wonderful sunday evening.
Thilo

Thanks again everyone, for your very kind comments on this topic.

I´d like to show another one that belongs to my wife. In this case, the pipe maker is a woman as well - Maike Paessens:

_SCH2886_web.jpg

_SCH2889_web.jpg

_SCH2888_web.jpg

_SCH2919_web.jpg

For both genders, the rule needs to be smoke what we enjoy, enjoy what we smoke

20 years ago, I'd have recommended avoid small bowled pipes with a passion ... the "pipes for ladies" were often the lowest graded wood in the bag. The exception was if you were able to buy a Dunhill Group 1 or a Charatan of equivalent grade.

These days, there are quality pipemakers who produce good product on a smaller scale. They work for short smokes for either gender, and as primary pipes for those who prefer them.

Isn't the briar wonderful?

"Adrogynous charisma" is such an apt description. As a woman that is one of the appeals of pipesmoking for me. These pipes are absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing, Schacht.

Very stunning....I love the silver work.

I find that I like something that hangs well and is small enough not to block my view.....but, then I smoke while I make pipes and that's really the only time I do. That's why my Gowley Ramses is perfect for me (stole it from my husband....it was his birthday present :lol: )

If I were to sit and enjoy a bowl I, personally, would want something rather large that would sit comfortably in the hand. I don't do dainty.

Would want something rather large that would sit comfortably in the hand. I don't do dainty.
Must resist set up .....