Woodworking Burl

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK_Pipe

Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I was reading this post on oak burl:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t16405-if-only-oak-burl-made-good-pipes?highlight=oak+burl

And Kyle mentioned that some woodworking brothers might be interested in hardwood burls. I never thought of that.

I don't have any on hand right now, but in the spring I'm usually working in the woods and stack a few burls that I come across. In the past, I stack them up thinking that I will do *something* with them, but I haven't gotten into turning yet and probably won't for a while. Then, I forget where I stacked them in the woods and never go back!

Anyhow, when I come across them, I'll keep them on hand for Brothers, etc. But, that begs the question, "What's a useful or usable size?"

I've found many the size of a softball to a few as big as a four drawer file cabinet...

What's the deal with storing the burls? Can I just stack them up dry in the garage, or should they be left outside? Does it matter?

I'll keep the info in mind and, in the future, keep these things where I can use them in the future myself or give them away, trade, etc.

Thanks!

ADK

I think you can turn burl anywhere from a softball size to a drawer, and probably bigger. I know a wood turner around here who makes bowls out of burl. He'll typically turns them anywhere from 6" to 18". You definitely have to have the right gear to turn bigger pieces though.

He doesn't do anything magical for storing them or prepping them either. He just chucks them outside his shed and cuts them as needed. Normally, you'd probably want them dried, but he cuts them somewhat wet, because his bowls take on a bit of a wave as they dry, that he seems to like.

I know he finds them himself an even pays local tree guys to pick them up for him, but I have no idea what he pays or what they typically sell for.

I don't think you'd get rich, but you might make "something" for your effort if you connected with a local turner.

Brian.

Well, maybe from this point on I will just chuck them in a pile indoors to let them dry ---

I don't have any plans to sell what I find, but I may be in the market for some tobacco trades!

It's better someone put them to use then I simply tossing them and forgetting about them. I won't have any time too soon to put any on a lathe, myself.

ADK

If you just pile them up inside they will crack badly as they dry and end up worthless.

They are worth a lot more to a turner wet. First, they are easier to turn wet and, second, after rough turning they will dry better and be less prone to cracking.

Your best bet for preserving a burl after cutting is to leave as much bark on as possible and put a very heavy coat of latex paint on the cut side. Better yet, you can get a product made specifically for this to apply to the cut side. It is basically a water based wax emulsion.

If you save some burls for me I will turn you a bowl from one.

Todd

Thanks for the tip on preserving burl! I will pick up some of the water based emulsion... any resource you can point me to for buying it?

That probably means that the ones I've tossed in piles over the years aren't much use at this point!

Out of curiosity, is there much use to softwood (pine) burls? Most of what I find are hardwoods, but I know where there are some enormous pine burls on a long dead tree. I'm afraid they are dried out, but I'm interested to know if they are as desirable as the hardwood burls.

I'll be sure to save the burl that I find in the spring and keep in touch!

BTW - That plateau Dublin on your site is gorgeous. It looks light and as through it would clench very nicely.

ADK

Thanks, that is one of my early pipes which I kept. It is nice and light, which is good for me because I tend to be a clencher.

Here is a link to the product that I use to preserve green wood. It works very well.

Anchorseal2

Pine burls are just as nice as "hard wood" burls. The terms "hard wood" and "soft wood" don't actually have anything to do with the hardness or value of the wood. There are many "hard wood" trees with wood that is much softer than Pine or "softwood trees".

If you have some time you might cut into the old pine burls. You may be surprised at what you find inside so long as they have not started to rot.

Thanks!

Todd