WooHoo!! Score!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Diamond Brand Strike Anywhere Kitchen matches. Greenlight, sourced from responsible forests. Extra thick for longer burn time. Pack of three boxes of 300 each. Almost as good as the time I got my hands on that 4oz Cutter-Top tin of Dunhill Standard Mixture from the late 1950's or very early 1960's. Only I can get all these matches I want at Beachy's Bulk Foods near Arthur, IL. It's an Amish store. :sunny:

I like doing my initial light with a match, then I use the Zippo for re-lights. Nothing quite like a good match.

You're lucky, I can't find strike anywheres worth a damn. Usually thin and wimpy sticks that don't light anywhere.

By the way, how"s the shoulder and knee doing?

Nice call on checking the Amish store. I live in nothern Indiana and will have to see what I can find. Thx for the tip.

Andy

mark":aeantxal said:
You're lucky, I can't find strike anywheres worth a damn. Usually thin and wimpy sticks that don't light anywhere.

By the way, how"s the shoulder and knee doing?

Good days and bad days. This morning the knee was killing me after about 4AM. But it was fine all day today. Go figure.

FWIW I use the "strike on box" kitchen matches. When away from home base, I carry a supply of matches in a little Peterson University Flake box. I cut a piece from the box's strike surface and glued it on the inside of the UF tin lid with one of those waxy glue sticks. (I'm thinking next time I might affix it to the outside of the tin, but so far no problems.) I haven't seen "strike anywhere" matches, well, anywhere, so this works for me, since I don't like to char the rim of my pipes..

riff raff":tsw8itz8 said:
I get these at my local Food Lion, $5 for a 3 pack.
Can't get them any where around here, I hate strike on box only matches they just don't make sense

Thanks for the matches info. I eat supper at Yoders in Arthur several times per month. I have furniture in my house that was built two miles from Beachy's, at the Pineview woodworking shop, and a bunch of clothes from my favorite men's store Delbert's. Arthur is great little town.

Steve

I was curious if these were readily available down here. First grocery I stopped at had them by the charcoal. They had both the big kitchen boxes and the smaller pocket sized box.

I use the Penny Matches 'Strike Anywhere" by Penley. I get them at a local Amish Store. I pay only $1.30 for a package of ten. 32 matches per box.

Dunno about all 'yall, but I get Diamond Greenlight Strike Anywhere matches from my local Ace hardware.

These are the 32 count boxes, and are 1.75 long.

These are my matches of choice, and buy them in a pack of 10 for a couple bucks.

Like these better than the longer version.

FWIW..........

:|

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":xll6ko09 said:
Dunno about all 'yall, but I get Diamond Greenlight Strike Anywhere matches from my local Ace hardware.

These are the 32 count boxes, and are 1.75 long.

These are my matches of choice, and buy them in a pack of 10 for a couple bucks.

Like these better than the longer version.

FWIW..........

:|

Cheers,

RR
$.99 for a pack of ten boxes at the local Kroger all day long and a few bucks for the three-box packs of the big kitchen size. The "new" green light formula is not as good as the old red-and-white (either in the penny match size or the larger kitchen match size), but still glad they are around and easily available (in my market at least). While I already do have hundreds of these ten packs stored along with a goodly amount of the kitchen sized boxes (insurance against their likely disappearance, fearing that they will some day go the way of the glorious, life-giving incandescent light bulb, not due to federal regulations, but due to market demand), I throw at least a few packs in the cart every time I happen to be at the store, and have for several years now. Need to keep my vesta case filled somehow!

Kapnismologist":sbymn4lu said:
The "new" green light formula is not as good as the old red-and-white (either in the penny match size or the larger kitchen match size), but still glad they are around and easily available (in my market at least).
This! I still love a strike anywhere, but the definition of "anywhere" has been greatly reduced. Proper strike-anywheres would work on anything dry and not too smooth.

My favorite stiking media were newish jeans and the classic heel-of-the-shoe. A student of mine once reported success striking it against his stubble, though he admitted it hurt like hell.

If you're in southern New England, Richlin reliably has the green ones, and sometimes the red ones--still a bit defanged, but better, in my experience.

Doc Manhattan":g3h8vtnb said:
...I still love a strike anywhere, but the definition of "anywhere" has been greatly reduced...
No doubt about it (and we have had this conversation before, as I recall). You are spot on regarding the Greenlight (one word, to correct my typo above) strike anywhere formula leaving much to be desired. With the older red-and-white Diamond brand, of which I still have maybe a half-dozen or so boxes of the kitchen size and perhaps thirty or forty boxes of the penny size, I would routinely use all types of media for striking with nary a problem. My favorite, a great party trick when done nonchalantly, was the thumbnail. I am, of course, still glad that at least a passable strike anywhere match is easily available due to the constantly open maw of my vesta case (I do not use lighters), and that they ignite routinely well on the serrated striker on its bottom (when done at the proper angle and with the proper pressure of course). I do, though, certainly miss the days of the easily available better quality matches for which the possibilities of ignition were more or less endless (never tried my stubble, though).

Sterling silver and gold vesta case filled with Diamond Greenlight Strike Anywhere Matches
(case: Birmingham, England, 1901; matches: Daleville, Indiana, USA, ca. 2012)

Hey Eric! That match case is realy cool. Didja find it at an antique store?

RonA3597":hoz32852 said:
...Didja find it at an antique store?
Nope; eBay. Paid less than the spot price of the metal at the time as I recall (it was horribly tarnished, nearly black, but cleaned up quite nicely). One of the better scores I've had, and besides a wedding band and, of course, one or another mid-grade rollerball or fountain pen, is the only piece of jewelry I routinely carry or wear on my person (unless a wristwatch counts, but I do not think it does).

For those who use matches, I cannot recommend a proper English vesta case strongly enough. Like this one, most of them I have seen from the late 19th - early 20th century sport a ring so that one may attach it to a watch chain. Not having much opportunity to wear a vest (or, a "waistcoat," I suppose, in keeping with the British theme), I usually just put it in my pocket. Much sturdier than the cardboard boxes the matches come in, and is more fun to fiddle with too boot. I have occasionally found myself looking to pick-up a few more, but because it is a purely utilitarian object and this one works for me just fine on a daily basis, don't really want to start yet another collection.

You cant find those strike anywhere in Mass, but last time I was in NH for vacation I bought 4 boxes of the Diamond Greenlight strike anywhere. I agree that the "anywhere" part isnt exactly the truth, but I smoke outside and the pavers or fence are rough enough.

Next time I am passing through NH, I will buy some more (along with low cost tax free liquor)