Working over a blend - Gandalf's Gambit

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfpc

Reaction score
Made up a blend a few weeks back - my first - which turned out quite well.

I was hoping that some here might provide some insight as I attempt to refine it.

The original blend:

10 parts Old Gowrie
6 parts Latakia
3 parts Oriental
2 parts Perique

using all McClelland blenders

It was very nice, but I thought it was a bit too strong in the Perique note and decided to put in only 1 part next time

Upon mixing though I found that only 1 part seemed too little to distribute through the blend (it is a very tiny amount due to the moisture in the Perique?) so I stuck with 2 parts for the time being and decided to adjust elsewhere.

Rather than changing the proportions I instead used:

2 parts McClelland Latakia
4 parts G&H Latakia

It is marrying now, very tightly packed in a jar - it will be sampled on New Years to see if it has a significant difference from the original...

Anyone here have experience blending their own that might provide some guidance?

I remember-I think- William Serad's article on blending saying that you should always only have 16 parts. So no level is raised without another lowering to make room for it.
So maybe-
8.5 parts gowrie
4 parts Latakia
3 parts oriental
.5 part perique

I'd be somewhat surprised if all masters stick to the 16 total. But, maybe?

Try to tune the "parts" as g's as to not waste, then when right you can make the"parts" oz's for a pound.

I'm not really an experienced blender...just some ideas. :)

Actually that would help - were it reduced to 16 parts then 1 part Perique should be enough to spread through the mix

Should also aid in the adjustment of a blend to "not add a part without removing another" - by giving some structure to the tinkering process... it makes it clearer that you can't simply add to bring something into the foreground without pushing something else farther to the background...

The change in latakia changed the flavor of the blend - turning it more towards Commonwealth, losing much of its "Frog Morton" tartness.

I was aware of the Commonwealth like flavoring of Gawith blending latakia, but was surprised how much it buried the Old Gowrie and perique flavors.

Will make a fresh attempt at the blend, trying some McConnells Syrian (either pure or mixed with McClellands) to see how it effects the blend...

I will also be trying some McClellands virginias (2010 and 5100) in place of Old Gowrie to see the difference.

I would think that 2010 and 5100 are good choices.

2015 is also a nice one for a perique presence.

5100 is just an amazing mixer.

I'm currently trying to tame MacB va No 1... a little 5100 made quite a difference. This morning I added some 5120.

I also have some 5105 (stoved virginias) on the way - seems like a good one for taming a blend