Workshop finished

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laherb

Reaction score
For the past few months, my dad and I have been turning an outbuilding into a woodworking shop. The larger room for the bigger work, cabinets and what not, and a small addition for my pipe making. Still some work to be done in the larger room, but I had finished up my room this past week... Up until now, my lathe was in as separate building and everything else was in my dads fiddle shop, and he didn't like the dust that pipe making makes. I've used the new shop for a couple of days, and I can say it's so much nicer to have all my tools in one place and not having my dad get on me for the mess I'm making. Here are some pics of my new little hole in the wall.

IMG_3082.jpg
IMG_3083.jpg
IMG_3084.jpg
IMG_3085.jpg

Abe

Very cool! It looks great. I'm jealous! I'm currently trying to get setup in my attic... Still looking to buy a lathe and a few other gadgets. I dig the pipes of yours that I've seen here btw :cheers:

Thanks, post some pics of your attic conversion when you get finished up. I enjoy looking at peoples shop setups, it's a great way to get ideas.

Abe

Abe, I think your workshop looks great. I can see a lot of great pipes being crafted there!
And that is the coolest looking lathe I've ever seen!
Nice work!

What a nice setup to enjoy practing your craft! Congrats on an impressive well designed shop! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

1,000 bonus points for turning that lathe into a buffing wheel. 8)

I can't wait to get a workshop put together, I'm with these guys: need a lathe, other stuff. Like...space. :monkey: :monkey:

Wow, that looks like a very well equipped shop. Nice job with those dust collectors. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your handiwork.

Curious about the lathe,,,make and year,,,looks older (back when they were built to last)

Nice workshop Abe. It looks well thought out (the air conditioner looks strategically placed right at face level for those hot muggy west virginia summer days). You make some quality pipes and I can't wait to see what you churn out of the new space.
Cheers & Health,
Milan

Very nice setup, great vac system and well built equipment.

Congrat's and enjoy.

Thanks guys. It was fun to set up, and should be even more fun to work in!

mark":p8hcx8ur said:
Curious about the lathe,,,make and year,,,looks older (back when they were built to last)

The lathe is an old Atlas 10"-F, TH-42. When they were build Atlas didn't do a great job of being able to date the machine. When I replaced the spindle bearings one of them were dated 1946 the other 1949, so I would say late 40's.... About a year ago I was shopping for a lathe, so I'd search craigslist once a week, one day this lathe popped up on there, the price was a bit much for me to pay. So, I continued to do my weekly search and I noticed every couple weeks the price on the lathe dropped, then one day it was in my price range and I pounced.... Luckily at my work I have a small machine shop and spray booth at my disposal, so I decided to take it into work and completely rebuild and refinish it.

Abe

Wow, I thought that lathe looked old, but the finish didn't support that. Excellent refinish job, it looks ready to last another lifetime.

GREAT shop bud, I just love it. Looking at pics like this makes me want to get back into my pipe refurb business again....I plan on doing that after I finish a few more projects on the house...one thing at a time ;)