Worst Advertising Idea Ever

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rad Davis

Reaction score
I don't know what idiot at Domino's Pizza came up with this idea, but I was taking out my garbage can and picking up the newspaper yesterday morning when I saw a Domino's plastic cup with a lid on it lying on my front lawn.

I thought, "Argh, some asshole thinks it's OK to throw his empty Domino's cup in my front yard." I went over, picked it up and put it in the garbage can.

On to the next door neighbor's house. I pick up his paper and take out his garbage for him, because he's 80 years old, and doesn't walk well. There on his lawn, I see another Domino's cup. I'm thinking, "There must have been two assholes in that car!"

I picked the one up from his lawn and notice that under the lid is a folded flyer of some kind. Then I look up and down the street, and there's a Domino's cup in every yard!

I didn't even open it up to read the flyer. Just threw it in the can.

How could anyone at Domino's think this was a good idea?

Rad

Well, at least it puts the cups to SOME kind of use. Having ordered from Domino's once, I can say for an absolute fact, that I will never have the need of a Domino's cup with anything I ever eat, ever again.

If that happened on my lawn, the local Domino's would open for business the next morning to find a large rock through their window, with an attached flyer for "Doc's Stone & Gravel - No Job Too Large! Ask about our Corporate Rates."

Worst idea since "New Coke." :lol!:
Except mebbie those maroons that put those "lite-bright"
thingies on bridges and caused a terrorist scare.

Hermit":khnqrkav said:
Worst idea since "New Coke." :lol!:
Except mebbie those maroons that put those "lite-bright"
thingies on bridges and caused a terrorist scare.
Actually, the only maroons involved in that little drama were the Boston cops.

The "potential explosive devices" were battery powered LED signs---essentially child's toys---that were part of an advertising campaign that had been in use for weeks in many cities (including Boston) without a complaint of any sort.

Here's the sign:

http://prblog.typepad.com/strategic_public_relation/images/mooninite_1.jpg

The hoo-rah was created when someone in the PD immediately called the bomb squad after a citizen called asking whether the signs were legally placed because they seemed to be on city/state property.

Then the press then got wind of a bomb squad call-out and the circus began. Naturally, to cover their asses after seeing their response completely lacked common sense (it could have been called off as soon as the first sign was examined), the bureaucrats in charge decided to play the "straight guy" card and run with it, shutting down half the city; and afterward, to play the injured party.

P.S. -- my kid lived in the same neighborhood as several of the signs, and just down the street from one that was "responded to." You should hear him tell the story. :lol:

LL":4dfm3e6w said:
Actually, the only maroons involved in that little drama were the Boston cops.
Yeah, it's amazing how something small and harmless can get so out of hand. :roll:

A couple of weeks ago a guy had managed to "escape" from the nursing home down the road from my school and they suspected he might be on campus. Somehow, over a period of only an hour, that got turned into "a man has a gun and is shooting people".

I don't even know. :no:

Rad.....To paraphrase Ron White, "There ain't no way to explain stupid!! And to think that some outfit probably got paid to think up the "flyer in a cup" scheme!!! :lol!: FTRPLT

ftrplt":c8bgwrec said:
Rad.....To paraphrase Ron White, "There ain't no way to explain stupid!! And to think that some outfit probably got paid to think up the "flyer in a cup" scheme!!! :lol!: FTRPLT
And someone was paid to drive around and throw cups on peoples lawns.

I sent a complaint to Domino's online, and got a stock response:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact the Domino's Pizza Customer Care Team. As a valued Domino's Pizza customer, your comments are extremely important to us.

I want to apologize for the situation you encountered at the Foley location. Domino's Pizza takes great pride in providing the quality products and service you have come to expect and trust every time you place an order with us.

Because your Domino's Pizza store is independently owned and operated, I have forwarded your comments to the franchise owner with the expectation that the franchisee will follow-up with you.

We appreciate the opportunity you have given us to address your concern and improve our operations. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. Your feedback is very important to us.

Our goal is to make every Domino's Pizza experience an enjoyable one!"

I didn't bother to tell them that I am not, and never have been a "valued Domino's Pizza customer". :lol:

Rad

there is a dominos across the street from my house. If they pull this shit on me, I'll make those assholes pick it up at gunpoint. Ah hell, I'm about to make the news, and I'm not even gay or muslim....

Texas Outlaw":21r7s0vf said:
there is a dominos across the street from my house. If they pull this shit on me, I'll make those assholes pick it up at gunpoint. Ah hell, I'm about to make the news, and I'm not even gay or muslim....
Maybe you could get away with it via the "make my day" laws.

I showed this retro ad to my wife to show her what would happen if
I was served that decaffenated coffee she drinks;

Spankingwife.jpg

Winslow :sunny: