Worst beer exerience in the world (at least for me)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Okay, so here's my diatribe. I generally stay far away form the horse-pi$$ that is sold a beer - aka. Budweiser, etc.

So, I tend to buy beer that is a bit more expensive, but I rarely drink more than one beer at a time, so I don't mind. This evening I bought my old standbye, Warsteiner Dunkel, but decided to also buy a $5 bottle of something called Arogant Bastard.

My parents are baby sitting for us tonight, so I decided I wanted to get my dad and I a treat, as my wife bought a small cake for my mom and her.

Needless to say, the damn thing tasted like pure grapefruit juice, with a small hint of hops and malt. It was disgusting, vile, and completely unpalatable.

So, my vote for worst beer of the year, is Arogant Bastard.

What is yours?

My mother-in-law (at the time) bought my father-in-law a case of "BEER". Purchased at a discount warehouse, the cans were all white with the one word "BEER" stamped on it. We argued over who would have to try it first and I gave in. I popped it open and took a swig of the worst swill I had ever tasted in my life,,,but I kept a straight face and took another drink proclaiming it to be top notch brew. My father-in-law grabbed a can, took a healthy hit and spit it out,,,,she was in the line of fire and got drenched.

Oskar Blues "Old Chub" Scotch Ale is one of the few beers that I've expected good stuff from and was slapped in the face by disappointment. (I really like their other beers.) It's oddly thick and syrupy sweet, in an insipid way.

Ol'Dawg":cailm7p1 said:
"Billy Beer" from the 80s first came to mind.

Jim
Same here...or maybe Pearl? Tasted like they made it from the Brazos River.

Back in the 70's the cheapest beer in my neck of the woods was a brew called "BuckHorn". It sold for $3.00 a case, but was worth $2.00 just for the moisture content. I've never been entirely sure just where the horn it came from was located on the buck.

I actually enjoy Arrogant Bastard Ale on occasion. Definitely need to be in the mood for a hoppy beer though.

The ones I find repulsive to my taste buds have been: Anything made by Miller and anything labeled "Malt Liquor"

Arrogant Bastard is a very hop forward IPA, and the grapefruit character is typical of American interpretations that use bold Pac NW hops such as Columbus and Chinook. One needs to develop a palate for these stronger tastes and not everyone does or wants to. If your tastes gravitate towards more malty beers then that's what you like and so be it.

Beer is like anything else. Drink what you like. There's room for every taste.

That said, once one gets a taste for the hops there's no turning back! Ya, I'm a brewer and our Snoqualmie Falls flagship brand Wildcat IPA is swimming in grapefruity Columbus. Has a very nice malt balance as well so it's not one dimensional.

Back on topic, there's plenty of beers that only get one sip from me although these are typically so out of balance one way or the other they hold no interest for me. That, or they have gone off and are sour or oxidized (although I do have a soft spot for intentionally sour beers like some of the Belgian offerings and a few US craft brewers emulating the style).

So no specific examples here. Suffice to say I like my beers with flavor, aroma, balance, and aftertaste.

Life is too short to drink beer with no taste.

Cheers,

RR