Worst Peterson sandblast ever

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a monday or friday pipe..
...meaning..we have a sayin in the auto industry...its a mon or fri' car... most of the early 90 models Lumina vans are prime example of mon. or fri car.

WTF!!!!

It looks like somebody tried to rusticated this on their own with a wire brush on a dremel or something! AFAIK, they sandblast the briar to rusticate a bowl.

I do not think it came from Peterson like that. No way. MIKE

I keep looking at it, and...
I don't know, I don't think it's a sandblast.
Rather, just a FUNKY piece of briar...
Maybe?

Harlock999":q2jihojq said:
I keep looking at it, and...
I don't know, I don't think it's a sandblast.
Rather, just a FUNKY piece of briar...
Maybe?
Some Parker pipes with that horrid black coating have a very similar surface, when it is extreme it actually looks pretty cool,

(This is an extreme version in the Parker pipes)
bentrusticbilliardjpg_zps15a86f07.jpg

(when the black is removed you are left with a very extreme rugged look which seems quite natural!)

but I cannot for one moment imagine Peterson letting this goes out the door, stranger things have happened though.

I like it a lot. See straight grain and it's resistant to scratch. Funky and kinda cool.

Peterson tumble blasts, right? This looks like a pipe that stayed buried in the mass of pipes being blasted and only got hit once or twice by the blasting media. Quality control should've put the stummel back in for another pass. Oh well!

Could also mean very dense briar that just wouldn't take a blast at all in a tumble blast setting. ::shrug::

Somebody took sandpaper to it, I expect.

Barling came out with a finish similar to that on their budget "Challenger" line back in the '70s. Smoothed after blasting.

FWIW

:face:

Yak":f3f2dpal said:
Somebody took sandpaper to it, I expect.

Barling came out with a finish similar to that on their budget "Challenger" line back in the '70s. Smoothed after blasting.

FWIW

:face:
I'd have to agree as I can't ever recall seeing THAT sort of blast/finish on a Pete that came straight from the factory. Looks like someone altered it to suit their likes. Should'nt effect it's smoking, just how it looks :p

The more I look at it, the more I think it may have begun life as an ordinary smooth Peterson, then through an unfortunate circumstance passed through the digestive system of an animal, perhaps a large ruminant like a bison or camel. In which case the taste of the smoke might be a bit earthy. Or extra mellow--who knows?