would you ever "finance" a pipe purchase?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
The most I've ever spent on a pipe was $200, 4 years ago when it was more affordable for me. It was still a tough purchase even though I loved the pipe.
Then I see pipes going for at least 3x that price and many going into the thousands :shock:

I wonder who is able to afford these. Sometimes you see a pipe that you just have to have, for those of us who dont have that much, if any disposable income, would you ever consider taking out a line of credit to "finance" such a purchase? this is really in refernce to artisan pipes.

While it makes 0 financial sense, and i wouldnt recommend it, the thought has crossed my mind.

How about you?

Pipes should be a joy, not a burden. Buy what you can afford and work harder to eventually buy what you want.

Personally, I would never borrow money from anyone for a pipe, however, if I just got to have it, I will probably cut on a few other non essential things in life to spare out the expense.

With that said, in 2011 I sold a Nanna Ivarsson pipe in order to fund a new violin purchase. To date, I'm still wondering if I made the right choice or not.

The kindest term about acquiring very expensive pipes is "Disposable Income" -- others could be less kind depending on circumstances. Pipes are a personal luxury along with the Cable TV, nicer cars and a host of other purchases for gratification.

Pipes are certainly one of the "collectables" that, over time, you can at least hope to break even on. Short term it a loss -- unless you are doing it as a business. I enjoyed collecting guns and have made a long term profit like you might on a rare pipe or such. Sure be the hell out of collecting commemorative plates.

I think the thing to avoid is being obsessive in any hobby/interest. I am hardly one to advise on a peer basis. My excesses during productive years were substantial -- cutting horses, Nikons, bamboo fly rods, guns, fancy dark room and so on. Today, I am comfortable with a decent brokerage account. But, if more of that "disposable income" had gone to investments, I be far better off.

Before embarking on an expensive hobby, I'd suggest a well-planned saving program to most folks. The money you can set aside early really is important later. Good investment compounds -- powerful. Collectables seldom measure up to that. Make sure disposable income doesn't sneak into avoiding that.

Old money, silver spoon, CEO perks? Sure, have at it. But, for most, it becomes wife, kids, mortgage and college cost and that doesn't leave much room for disposable income.

I wouldn't be able to finance a pipe purchase with a clear conscience.

I think it's fair to say that there are many pipe collectors with greater financial means than you or I, BB, and like us, they occasionally spend more than they probably should on their hobby. I haven't spoken to anyone on the forums who has bought a multi-thousand dollar Bo Nordh or any such thing, so I assume that they either don't hang out with us or they don't advertise the fact. I expect that if we had attended the Chicago show this weekend, we might have met some of them.

For my part, I'm like you: $200 is about all I've ever spent on one pipe, but I'm not currently in a position to justify that kind of purchase. When I do decide to drop some coin on an artisan pipe again, I'll save my money for the purchase and buy something more modestly priced, maybe in the $200-$300 price range, from a carver I've talked to online or met in person. I wouldn't put my family in debt for my own trivial desires.

Absolutly NOT, no way in hell are you financing a pipe.
Sorry guys that would be my outside voice (my wifes).

Seriously i think the more you have to save & cut back elsewhere to accuire something you really want, the more you'll appreciate it when you finally get it. I have in my sites right now a bent bull dog meer and a Growly Ramses. The only problem i have is passing on the good deals on ebay when they come up. Polinski's & Moretti's are my weakness as they keep depeleting my pipe jar funds.

You "finance" homes, cars college loans and such. You buy what you can pay outright for in tobacco and pipes. It's a no brainer :twisted: :twisted:

Yak":g1ix3nb6 said:
It depends on the violin :lol:

:face:
Heh, I was thinking the same thing. I've gone into debt to get an instrument, but never to get a pipe.

I like my pipes to bring good thoughts and associations, not an ongoing payment plan. :cry:

Isagar":y83dlovj said:
Pipes should be a joy, not a burden.
This. Hell, LIFE should be approached this way in general.

Money does not equal quality of smoke...at some price point, most are simply buying a name, a grain or historical rarity.

I'd put my collection of briars against a five-figure collection any day. They'd win alone in character, intent, and perhaps even performance. Especially those given to me by dear family and friends, old and new. Money simply can't buy that. Maybe I'm just as much of a fool letting my sentiment flavor my pipes as the other guy allows his money to flavor his trophies, but it puts a new spin on the idea of what "value" really means. :)

I believe pipes all have a spirit, and that spirit does not care about money. It is something developed via the owner. I think something rather dark and insidious would develop in a pipe that was bought and used under financial duress, something that would taste worse than a bowlful of Borkum Riff. :lol:

8)

Forgivable debt is such as paying for a new left kidney. You had to have that. My favorite pipes cost me less than $50.

I do not want to tell anyone what to do, but please never ever ever finance a pipe

unless its one of mine of course :)

rev

$199 is the most I ever spent on a pipe. It's a Sav natural finish artisan with beautiul grain and carved as a Dublin spinoff. My missus promptly dropped it and put a slight nick on the front Dublin edge. Karma, #!@X!Y!Z. I'm too thrifty to finance pipes, but don't begrudge those that would. I might like something, but like a strong cash position more. Others disagree. That's fine.

Quite frankly, its always your call as to whether you want to finance it or not. I frankly enjoy moving from one interest free credit line to another. That said, I never put anything on credit cards that I couldn't immediately pay off in cash if I had to. That's just y own way of meandering through this world. I don't believe in paying inordinate interest on purchases of any kind... Pipes are no exception. Still, if you're comfortable using credit and using it wisely, then you should have nothing to fear.

No. I wouldn't. If there were an expensive pipe I liked I would just save up a little here and a little there until I could get it. The most I would spend on a pipe is maybe 300 and that would have to be for something artisinal or have a special history attached. Beyond that I just can't justify paying any higher.
I agree with Kyle that a pipes value is due to where or how you acquired it, the memories associated with it etc... For that reason I am happier getting a lesser priced pipe and then growing ever more attached to it as time passes. Eventually it will become priceless to me.

Yak":qtxizz6w said:
It depends on the violin :lol:

:face:
Okay it's not a stradivarius alright, but it is a lovely Cremonesi violin made by a lovely lady.

I guess the only reason why I'm not as happy as I should is that during shipping, the wooden container containing the violin must have been left somewhere under the sunlight or a very hot room. Some parts of the violin varnish bubbled and now it has alot of spots which isn't that obvious to the eye and doesn't affect it's playability/sound at all and can be removed/touched up but requires me to pay the maker a visit in Italy which I have no time or money for.

I have never financed a pipe, however I do sometimes put one on layaway and pay it off over time with no interest.

I think one of the worst things people finance is clothing on a credit card, as nothing depreciates worse than clothing. I suppose if someone could justify putting clothing on a credit card, they could easily justify a pipe purchase. However, the depreciation on the pipe would obviously be huge, after all the interest is paid, and the pipe resold at some point down the road.

Some folks really could care less how much they actually pay for some things, just as long as they can afford the monthly payment. :roll:

Price has nothing to do with it. If you want it, you want it. I have never financed a pipe, and don't recommend it. I have, however put one in "layaway" and paid on it. Did that for a few reasons, it wasn't going to cost any extra, I wanted to hold the pipe, and didn't have the cash to pay for it all at once. It was a 45$ pipe back in the seventies.

A couple of years ago, I "needed" another bicycle. A very rare, only one in the country, hybrid was offered to me at a fair price. I did not have the money and took it on budget over 24months on my cc. I never calculated how much that R10,000 bike cost me eventually.

The bike lived in my outhouse for 6 years. I've done 860km on it in that period. Tried to sell it and received ridiculous offers. So eventually I just gifted it to my new step daughter to be.

Now just think about a pipe. If I should finance it, I will still be paying it off LONG after the joy af a new pipe has passed.

If I can't pay cash for it with money I really do not need for something else, I can't have it.