Would you make the Trip...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
Hello BoB,

After 5 yrs of waiting, my family is finally going on Vacation... from NYC to PA!!

Not the vacation we wanted but we definitely need it.

We will be in the King of Prussia area for 7 nights and as I was preparing, I thought to look up Boswell's shop.

From our apartment, it would be a 5 hr drive. But from King of Prussia it would be 2.5 hrs, 141 miles.

We don't have any real pipe shops in NYC, and seeing that I would already be halfway there, I would love to see this place in person. I would have to leave at 6 am if I plan to get back to hotel before 12pm...

But 141 miles both ways is still AAAAA LLLLOT of time and driving. I do need at least a lb of tobacco and maybe even a pipe.

But keeping this in mind...would you make this trip?

I don't really think you have the option of not going  :D 

I would go its a great place with super nice people.

If I had the opportunity and it was not going to break the bank or put me in hardship, ... I would gladly make the trip. I hope my opinion was helpful bb.

I think you should. Why? Because you love pipes and tobacco, and because it's a vacation.

I just got back from vacationing in Ocean City NJ. I love beer. So what did I do? I drove down to Cape May, took a 1.5 hour Ferry boat ride to Lewes Deleware, and drove to Rehoboth Beach to visit Dogfish Head Brewing. The beer, food and beach boardwalk was so fun we missed the last ferry out and drove back 2.5 hours and got back to Ocean City around midnight. Magical time and something I'll never forget.  :D 

I value everyone's opinion and suggestion.

Why I'm reluctant:
- It is a family vacation, which would mean I would be away for half a day.
- It would add 300 miles to the trip, 2.5 hrs x2 is a PITA

Yes I LOVE pipes and tobacco, but I also HATE driving for long periods!

Just so y'all know. Sunday I drove from Lake of the Ozarks, to Alto Pass, IL. Ate lunch, shopped a bit down the road. Then beat feet for home. 10 hours. Much of it on unfamiliar roads. Not my longest drive by far. 141 miles or so is no big deal. Enjoy.  :sunny: 

Don't take up Truck Driving anytime soon.  ;)

Oh, And like Carlos said, heck I have to drive about the same or more just to go see my stepdaughter in Arlington and I'm a cripple SOB. You can do it, for your family.  ;) 

It depends on what your family wants to do. They may just want to chill out, or they may want to go with you. Check with them and see if they would want to go. If I were going by myself, I would probably not go, especially if my family wanted to do something else. However, if they want to go with you, it would be a lot of fun.

d4klutz":ilv02zi9 said:
It depends on what your family wants to do.  They may just want to chill out, or they may want to go with you.  Check with them and see if they would want to go.  If I were going by myself, I would probably not go, especially if my family wanted to do something else.  However, if they want to go with you, it would be a lot of fun.
Yeah, this would be just me, myself, and I.
My old lady can't stand anything tobacco related and I don't think my daughter is ready to see me pipe smoking (though she knows what a pipe is)

bentbulldog":26brfvx2 said:

I also HATE driving for long periods!  

this would be just me, myself, and I

My old lady can't stand anything tobacco related
I think you have your answer....

bentbulldog":xy7e95dm said:
I value everyone's opinion and suggestion.

Why I'm reluctant:

Yes I LOVE pipes and tobacco, but I also HATE driving for long periods!  
IT IS A FAMILY vacation and even though it might be enjoyable for you, it's really not a part of THAT. Not only would you have to add the cost of fuel and driving time, you will probably be spending a few HOURS in there so you realistically would be taking a day away from the family for yourself ! Nothing wrong with that, just don't try and rationalize things, be straight and honest with your family that this is something you want to do FOR YOURSELF  :twisted: :twisted: 

you could combine the trip with doing the loop around Gettysburg's battlefields quite interesting.

Stay with the family Buddy, you can always order baccy online and really, you want to drive all that way just to go to a baccy shop, that's just crazy talk Buddy, spend the day with your daughter and Mrs, that's what you're going on vacation for right.  :sunny: 

You'll be in my hood. Boswells is definitely a hike, but if you're a Civil War buff you can always visit Gettysburg while you're out that way.

That being said, I understand not wanting to make that drive. We do have some great pipe-centric tobacco shops around here. Near you is Black Cat on Germantown Ave (about 5-10 minutes from KOP by car). They are a big supporter of our local pipe club. If you are in Center City (half hour to hour from KOP depending on traffic), Holts is worth stopping into, but not really worth making a dedicated trip for, though if you're into cigars they have a quite a selection of some hard(er) to find smokes.

If you are willing to drive about 20-30 there is a place called Top Shelf Cigar Company that the folks in the pipe club rave about (I haven't been there myself, but I have been meaning to make the trip for a while now).

Hopefully Les will chime in, he knows all about the local tobacco seen.

I would say don't go. You already have time limits on the side trip so it probably wont be relaxing or fun. To me vacation is about taking my time and enjoying, you could order everything you want online, save on gas, and not be hurried. I live about the same distance from Boswells and haven't justified making the trip yet.

I guess I'm in the "don't go, be with your family" crowd.  Having said that, I'm about 30 min outside of KOP (the wrong direction) and I made the trip myself a few weeks ago and was glad I did.  If you decide to go maybe we could meet up for a pilgrimage.  Heck, I'll even drive (and yes, smoking in the car is allowed and encouraged)  :twisted: 
I'll second Dave's recommendation of BlackCat.  I go there frequently, and it is a great cigar shop and pretty good pipe shop, albeit no Boswell's.  Plus Sam is a top notch guy.  I didn't know there was a local pipe club, so Dave please tell me more!
Mike.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

Im here sitting on the patio at the Hyatt enjoying this AMAZINGLY beautiful night with a new pipe(coming up in PAD), praying one day I will have the option to do this on my own porch/patio.
Getting out of NY was a big PITA but the Penn Tpke was a breeze. Driving around seems pretty simple.
Still the drive was annoying, so Ive decided not to go to tbe Boswell shop. I dont have THAT much to buy.
However, as luck would have it, the flint on my Zippo konked on me and i need to get fixed and refilled, so I will likely be heading to Black Cat this week.
If any of you happen to be around, I'd love to see some brothers in person and share a bowl or two.

I don't go anywhere without hoping to fit a pipe shop into the trip. But I can't think of an example where I've gone that far out of the way either. I might for Boswell's though, it seems to be a bit of a landmark b&m.