Wowski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefBull

Reaction score
Just got in a Charatan 'Ben Wade' pot [Standard]
My Da' always told me about Charatan when I was sprat; he really loved Charatan but with 14 whelps to raise and feed a 'Charatan' was quite out of the question
Have a Charatan 'TinderBox' pot.
They both earned the top shelf in the Secretary, along with the Hardcastles.
One of the things I've noticed about Charatan pots, they have positively "Jeye-normous" chambers. They look like funnel cut chambers; I've heard arguments that say funnel cut is not necessarily good. Looked at a top shelf Dunhill and it has a funnel cut chamber? so???? Coulda' fooled me; they smoke smooth, cool, and sweet just like the Hardcastle Executive Billiard [Parker]. "Dark English".
Is there such a thing as 'chemistry' so to speak? The 'Tinderbox' really smokes quite well with Red-Cake Virginia; but, when you stoke up with Dark English the overall bouquet is incredible [may as well be a good K/C barbecue pit] heavy, smokey, and full bodied. If ya' ever been to "King Arthur's" in K/C Mo. you'd understand, lotza beef! full and heavy.
The Charatan 'Ben Wade' pot? you stoke up with "Dark English" and the bouquet is very fragrant, almost "Rose" in the nose; the smokey character is there but not as 'brazen' as the 'Tinderbox' with almost a subtle 'Rose' [please I'm not crazy here] finish to it, incredibly wonderful.
Now, the Hardcastles [I call'em the "Infantry"] they display "Dark English" in all of its "smoked glory"; they are remarkably consistent in their nature, any of them. Have a pre-Cadogan four panel billiard that is wonderful with anything English; smoked it right down to the bottom not a rattle not a dottle. Doesn't matter if its 'Presbyterian', Dark English, Properly English 1025 or Sobranie. The Hardcastle 229 Marquis Pot has thick, boiler plate sides [mic'd at .375" on the bench in the reloading shop] and a big chamber, not the size of the Charatans but close. "Dark English" is its fuel of choice, with 'Red Cake' it is alright but not near its same self as with "Dark English" .
The Peterson's [a Shamrock Billiard, a ChristMass calabash, and a Killarney Red pot] are positively snooty, they like only "Dark English". Red Cake is nondescript and tends to bite in them.
Put Red Cake in a good Custom Made Corn Cob and that is as good as it gets, somewhat nutty and quite earthy; anything English is 'non-descript'.
Lotza crazy questions here and sensations.

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

Hey Chief, You got any pictures?  :) 

AJ

Years ago I read a biography of Herman Lane - of Lane Limited.  He always spoke very highly of Charatan pipes and always carried them, in several different grades, in his shops.  This was probably the one brand he recommended the most, and for good reason.

I've never had one, but it's on the list for sure.  Your post makes me want one even more.

Pipe for pipe I think my Charatans are my best smokers. Grade doesn't seem to matter either. They're just great pipes.

Bravo!

Will figure out how to do it and post them straightaway

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

I own one older Charatan, it's a little bent bulldog. After a little restoration job she's a wonderful smoker with many more years left in her. I hope you enjoy yours. And yes please post pics!

I own two Charatan Make pipes = a large After Hours Exectutive with a plateau rim and a large Charatan Make Astley 8-panel half-bent dublin.  Both are terrific smokers.

Thanks for posting, Chief!

Having acquired 25 Charatans btwn 1970 - 1976, I have to say they were some of the BEST production Brit pipes made back then. I have almost all grades btwn Perfection up thru Executive and ALL are and have been some of the BEST smoking pipes I own. I find it interesying that you describe the chamber on the Pot you got as "funnel shaped" as all 6 of my Charatan Pots have straight almost 'U' shaped chambers but my definition of a "funnel" shape is wide at the top and tapering down to a narrower circumference at the bottom and NONE of my Pots have this shape to them. But this is the 21st century and ALL things are now different than what they were.  :twisted: :twisted: 
I've not got any of the charlatan made Ben Wades so maybe their pots were drilled differently than the Charatans :?: But you need to remember one thing about Charatan's, they are "....missdrilled, Golf Clubs" as has been stated by many of the "experts" here in the past  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Regardless, enjoy your "new" pipe !! :cheers: :cheers: 

When I say "funnel cut" I may be misapplying what I see visually.. The boring generally describes a fat "U" geometric shape. Now, I used that frame of description for quite some time before my tobacconist use it as a technical description that is used in the craft.
Hmmmmmmmmph live and learn; there really is nothing new under the sun. Just when a guy thinks he's developed something someone comes along and says '...well yes and...."
The 'Standard' appears to have a 'funnel cut' bowl with something quite peculiar; it is flat at the bottom ~ly <1/4", just a very small area. The 'Tinderbox" doesn't have that, nor does the Executive.
Also too, for clarifications, I bought the three from "Shiney Pipes" in an "E" bay auction. They are "not" new Pipes [think I probably won't buy another new again; as there are some hidden advantages here that do not pot themselves immediately]
They are in absolutely pristine shape; the Long Billiard could have passed for new in front of an uncritical eye.
I've reset my Secretary an these get all the TLC the Hardcastles and Petersons do.

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

Rob in Mo
Go on "E" Bay
I go on in the Hardcastle [gee why?] window; I am sure you can quite probably go on I any window. When you get there punch up 'Charatan' pipes. It will be in the header line and just scroll down.
I have never seen Charatan have less than four windows for viewing; oh yes, they're pretty proud of'em as some go for 2500 large. I guess that's top shelf?!?
Have to watch out; there are some stalkers and they follow closely the bidding, and as likely as not when you start one will follow you[the perils of the digital ether net] and attach himself to you . Hang around a bit and you'll pick put the patterns. There will more likely than not be some Charatans come in that are absolutely fantastic buys. Hang around; funny thing is that there always are "...the last one at this price...". Be patient.
Here's the gig; these pipes are already "broken in" for You and are sanitized, polished, and cosmetically dressed up.
Personally, I find "Shiney Pipes" to be really reputable. I have "NOT" [yelling here to make the point] been disappointed.
If you've ever wanted a "Charatan", well "Rob in Mo" there's no better time to be alive than now. Hang around you'll have fun.

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull