WW2 pipers....question.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taja-big dog

Reaction score
I've seen pictures and videos of US military men smoking their pipes. What was their tobacco supply? Brought from home? Local stores in various European countries? They never seem to run out.

taja-big dog":wia0uziq said:
I've seen pictures and videos of US military men smoking their pipes. What was their tobacco supply? Brought from home? Local stores in various European countries? They never seem to run out.
I would imagine the same place most military men got there cigarettes, through military supply and most likely what ever country, Germany, England, France that they were in. I would think all 3 countries would be a splendid place to get tobacco. And there certainly wasn't any cockamamie laws or taxes on tobacco then. That's just my opinion for what ever its worth.

Soldiers in the field were issued cigarettes with their other rations. Pipe smokers at US bases would have had tobacco available at the various commisaries (most likely PA at the least)

Cartaphilus":jyno4plk said:
taja-big dog":jyno4plk said:
I would imagine the same place most military men got there cigarettes, through military supply and most likely what ever country, Germany, England, France that they were in. I would think all 3 countries would be a splendid place to get tobacco. And there certainly wasn't any cockamamie laws or taxes on tobacco then. That's just my opinion for what ever its worth.

Really?? http://archive.tobacco.org/resources/history/Tobacco_History20-1.html

There's always been 'cockamamie laws and taxes' on tobacco. Tobacco was actually one of the first attempted Prohabitions in the US.
There's nothing new under the sun Cart.

But. If you google around a bit you'll see there were many tobacconist catalogs floating around back then and the actual concept of Tobacconist b&m retail operations wasn't as foreign as it is to us. Consider in rationing and whatnot to ensure the troops had what they wanted/needed and I'd imagine that at least some the troops had access to any tobacco the wanted regardless of the type.

puros_bran":nk8r1qr5 said:
Cartaphilus":nk8r1qr5 said:
taja-big dog":nk8r1qr5 said:

Really??    http://archive.tobacco.org/resources/history/Tobacco_History20-1.html

There's always been 'cockamamie laws and taxes' on tobacco.  Tobacco was actually one of the first attempted Prohabitions in the US.
There's nothing new under the sun Cart.

But.  If you google around a bit you'll see there were many tobacconist catalogs floating around back then and the actual concept of Tobacconist b&m retail operations wasn't as foreign as it is to us.  Consider in rationing and whatnot to ensure the troops had what they wanted/needed and I'd imagine that at least some the troops had access to any tobacco the wanted regardless of the type.
I meant NOT like there are now, in Extreme. I'm sure everyone understood that and if not I apologize for not making myself Perfectly clear.

My father was in the 82nd Airborne and mostly smoked cigars when he was in the field. reserving his pipes for when he got back to a base. His father would send him pipe tobacco and cigars and when he could get to a tobacconist in a town he would buy tobacco then as well. He was stationed in London right after the war and bought several pipes and tobaccos at Astley's while there and I still smoke those pipes. I'm sure it was similar for other guys back then as well. My father did the same for me when I was in 'Nam with a once a month package of Granger and I would pick up other 'bacs when I got in to Siagon occasionally. Some things don't change.  :twisted: :twisted: 

I fail to see how an outright ban in several states is some how less 'cockamamie' than what we have now. But whatever.

Hey Monbla. What was available in the commissaries and whatnot , if you remember.

puros_bran":cp59nos5 said:
Hey Monbla.   What was available in the commissaries and whatnot , if you remember.  
In the main PX in Siagon and at the PX at the airbase I recall Granger, PA, London Dock, H&H,Mixture 79 and some others. Cigar wise the usual Lovera, RoiTan, Dutch Masters etc. I remember going to a French tobacconist in Siagon who had a small selection of Brit bacs and Cuban cigars as well as mostly French briars. And he carried Russian cigs as well as all the American and Brit brands. It was a sort of open front shop that you would step into and point to what you wanted on the shelves or in the case. When you bought it you got it in your hands  :twisted: :twisted: 

LZ English ('69-71). (a small blimp on the map compared to saigon)  The PX had basically your avg OTC selection of pipe tobacco, machine make cigars (dutch masters, swisher sweet, etc) cigs limited to 2 cartons a month (ration card).  cigs became as good  as cash (remember cash was not us dollars but gov funny money). same as booze (again rationed plus you had to be non-com) e-5 at Army PX's and e-4 at Air Force bases. as far as out in the field you hauled what you could, mysteriously cartons of cigs would appear same with beer or you were too busy and too wet to worry about a smoke.

Just to help clarify, I find no proof of any states having a ban on tobacco products or cigarettes after 1927 which is before WWII. If you wish you check this site out, here are some excerpts from its document. And they just mention cigarette NOT tobacco as a whole.
Rising of the cigarette

1900: REGULATION: Washington, Iowa, Tennessee and North Dakota have outlawed the sale of cigarettes.

1901: REGULATION: Strong anti-cigarette activity in 43 of the 45 states. "[O]nly Wyoming and Louisiana had paid no attention to the cigarette controversy, while the other forty-three states either already had anti-cigarette laws on the books, were considering new or tougher anti-cigarette laws, or were the scenes of heavy anti- cigarette activity" (Dillow, 1981:10).

1905: POLITICS: Indiana legislature bribery attempt is exposed, leading to passage of total cigarette ban

1906-04: SMOKEFREE: IN: Richmond resident Orville Stanley is arrested and pleads guilty to possession and unlawful use of tobacco. Fines are suspended because he is a minor.

1909: 15 states have passed legislation banning the sale of cigarettes.

1917: SMOKEFREE: Tobacco control laws have fallen, including smoking bans in numerous cities, and the states of Arkansas, Iowa, Idaho and Tennessee.

1922: REGULATION: 15 states have banned the sale, manufacture, possession, advertising and/or use of cigarettes.

1927: LEGISLATION: Kansas is the last state to drop its ban on cigarette sales.

1939-1945: WORLD WAR II

As part of the war effort, Roosevelt makes tobacco a protected crop. General Douglas McArthur makes the corncob pipe his trademark by posing with it on dramatic occasions such as his wading ashore during the invasion and reconquest of the Philippines. Cigarettes are included in GI's C-Rations. Tobacco companies send millions of free cigarettes to GI's, mostly the popular brands; the home front had to make do with off-brands like Rameses or Pacayunes. Tobacco consumption is so fierce a shortage develops. By the end of the war, cigarette sales are at an all-time high.

puros_bran":cmavfut1 said:
   My entire point was...    

You don't think that's 'cockamamie' ????      
It wasn't as Bad as it is now. Of course its cockamamie!