Yay, Health Insurance Enrollment Time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
It's the time of year again, when I'm reminded of how much extra I have to pay for enjoying the finer things in life. I get dinged 600 bucks a year. Why don't they tax over weight people too? Being 100 pounds overweight is probably more costly to insurance companies than pipe/cigar smoking. Really dislike that we're lumped under the umbrella of "tobacco user" without differentiating between cigarette smokers and non-inhaling pipe and cigar smokers.

I absolutely love that pb's two word reply to this comes only one minute after the original post, awesome. :D I don't know why that struck me so funny, but I was laughing at the computer when I realized it.

Go check out prudential insurance they have a different view on pipe, snuff dip users then cigarette smokers

unfortunately my company uses cigna and it seems that they don't distinguish different types of tobacco users.

A lot of it depends on how large the company you work for is and how awestruck they are with the progressive liberal controlling philosophy. I work for a very large company that is probably the 2nd largest employer in the United States, that has bought into the mentality hook line and sinker. Because I smoke a pipe and dip snuff, I have to pay an additional $5 per week for everyone on the plan. They believe that my wife will develop cancer from second hand pipe smoke or from kissing me after I've had a dip. :shock:

Guess I'm lucky, they don't even ask. Especially being I work for the liberal government. ;)

Considering I cover myself and my wife through my work, even with the "tobacco tax" insurance for both of us still costs less than if she was to just get insurance for herself through her work, so I guess that's a semi-saving grace.

600 bucks a year? I wish. Try 5k for crappy coverage for my wife and I through her job...which was the cheaper option.

Frost":l9gi73ns said:
600 bucks a year? I wish. Try 5k for crappy coverage for my wife and I through her job...which was the cheaper option.
I think he meant $600 EXTRA per year for being a pipe smoker.

yeah, 600 extra, i think my total comes to around 3200. so that's better than your 5k though.

Ah, that makes more sense to me then. Thanks for the clarification :D