yet another jar question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benmarcum

Reaction score
so i have been storing my tobacco in mason jars. i went back to one i have not smoked in a while the other day and it was like smoking old cardboard...dry and burned hot! did i do something wrong?

You've got to put a lid on them Ben.. :D :D

Seriously I always use a new lid. I've found that when I don't I get exactly what your describing.

I'm assuming your using the two piece lid...
The 'Flats' are cheap.. Sometimes the gasket fails on the old ones. another thing to look for is tobacco between the jar and the lid.. That'll do it too.

I'm glad you reminded me your from the Lou though... If my old lady kicks me out can I sleep on your couch? I'll bring tobacco...lol

Sounds like a simple matter of seal failure. I am sure others would give the same advice: check your mason jars every so often. Make sure the lid is still tightly depressed down in the center (when you push down on it, there should be no springiness at all) and give the edge of the jar a sniff (if you can smell tobacco, it ain't sealed). Also, use fresh lids for each jar if at all possible so as to avoid potential problems down the road (I reuse lids occasionally, depending on how long I anticipate storing the tobacco, but extra lids and bands are so cheap that I often just toss them after a single use).