Yikes...just received quite a gift from my dad

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a nice collection. Plenty of various shapes, types, etc. Really cool.

SCORE!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I see some nice Petersons in there!

Damn nice selection right there and no mistake.

When my late Pap gave up the pipe he probably had 20+ in his collection. Alas, I wasn't into pipe smoking then and his second wife threw them out! Several of which I gave him!!!!!

What I wouldn't give to have those today.

And I hasten to add that they were very likely cheap brands like Kaywoodies and Charatans. No Dunnies or the like. That wasn't Pap's style.

But he did enjoy his pipe.

Still, I often lament the opportunity.....

:|

Cheers,

RR

sentientchimp":6a45919n said:
My old man decided to give up smoking and generously gave me his pipes to hang on to. There's over 40 pipes here, some 100+ years old. I might be selling some of these in the coming days. https://i.imgur.com/TGOEn.jpg
I had to laugh when I first read this. Almost in the same breath you said "to hang on to", and "Selling some of these in the coming days."

Just giving ya a hard time ;)

Of course you would be selling them for him. right ? :twisted: Looks also to be some nice Stanwell's as well :p

Nice lot!

Do some real thinking and double-checking before you sell those guys off. Not necessarily for value, but you may decide you really like some of them later down the road. There's more than a few likely good smokers in that bunch.

8)

Yeah, absolutely. Some of these have sentimental value to him that he's told me not to sell. Others he feels are particularly good smokers and has encouraged me to keep. Some he wants me to put on eBay for him because to him they're just excess pipes.

Cool. Get some intel from him about what he smoked in each pipe and how each of them did, that'll quicken the learning curve and maybe prevent you from loading up a favorite of yours that may end up reviving a ghost of Lakeland or something insidious. :lol:

You have a lot of work ahead of you if you're gonna restore them to glory!

8)

Congratulations on having some great mementos from your dad! Unfortunately I only have one of my dad's pipes and none from my grand dad or great grand dad.

Jim

That's a hansome collection. Up in the RH corner I see what looks like a wooden case of the sort some wines are sold in. Did yr Dad improvise a pipe case? I have a few of thse boxes (presently holding fishing lures) but I've often thought they'd make good cases for a pipe collection.

Well, in his own words my dad never "babied" his pipes much and just tended to throw them in whatever was convenient. When he gave them to me some were in cardboard boxes sitting in the garage and some were in the basement in the wine box. The latter were definitely less dusty, so that might not be a bad place for them. Looks nice, too.

Hang on to them. They've got more value for you than you'd get for them, and he might decide to start smoking a pipe again, stranger things have happened!

>>my dad never "babied" his pipes much<<

Your Dad sounds like an authentic "'Burgh Guy." My gene pool is full of them. I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell his collection. Once they're gone, you won't get them back, and it's not as if you could retire on the proceeds. Hmmm. What are Steeler season tickets going for these days, I wonder.

I would also recommend not selling them. At least not soon. As has been mentioned, once they're gone they're gone. I certainly wish I had more momentoes of my father's than I do. At some point, you or those that follow you in your family might appreciate them. Of course, it would be a good idea to bring them back to pristine condition...then if you did decide to part with a few, they would have FAR more value.

I just read a thread about insuring ones pipe collection and it was suggested to take digital photos and store them in more than one location...and add a paper list with values stated too. Then I thought about needing to clean up some of mine before taking any photos...as there's a couple in there that some insurance adjusted would look at and think...who'd pay anything for THAT piece of junk? Good photos of a pristing pipe makes it LOOK like the value is there at least. Just a thought.

Oh...and congrats on a very nice load of wood. Damn fine.

I had actually meant to ask about that. Is restoration a good idea? I know with some types of collectables it can really damage the value they might have. What's the story with pipes? Is it generally a good idea to have them restored?

I think they would have to be OLD...like REALLY old to have any 'antique' value.

But the ones made within the 20th & 21'st centuries would only be enhanced by being CLEAN instead of CRUDDY. Pipes don't get a 'patina' they just get dirty...and then NO one what's them.

If you've got something rare or really old there, your dad will know. Then call a professional restorer like at Walker's.

Now furniture from the 1700's is a different story.

Hey, nice pipes mate, impressive collection.

I must admit, when I was reading your post I had a breakfast club flashback... picturing your old man with a wild look in his eyes shoving a heap of pipes at you: HEY, SMOKE UP JOHNNIE