young smokers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
33 here, just missed your cutoff. Think I started at 30 or 31 with the pipe (tobacco at any rate). Damn, now I feel old and excluded.

Oh well, my wife says I have been a cranky old man since I was 17 anyway. :lol:

I began smoking a pipe just over a year ago at 20, 21 now and almost 22. Cigars though I had smoked long before that. I'd been enjoying cigars here and there for ages with my brother, probably since I was 15 or so. Though I did this I always preach waiting till legal age to buy and smoke, I'm no saint I'll admit but if I can try and keep others on track I do my best.

21 here. Really got started pipe smoking on the suggestion of a fraternity brother and I think it's great. We tend to be the old souls of the fraternity, much more relaxed in slacks or a pair of good dark denim jeans and a collared shirt while sipping an Old Fashioned where most of our other fraternity brothers are happy to be in basketball shorts all day drinking Four Loko and Jagerbombs. While we take flak, we simply shrug, take a draw from our pipes, and simply reply saying "we enjoy the simpler pleasures of a time now lost."

koogs":blus4bqd said:
21 here. Really got started pipe smoking on the suggestion of a fraternity brother and I think it's great. We tend to be the old souls of the fraternity, much more relaxed in slacks or a pair of good dark denim jeans and a collared shirt while sipping an Old Fashioned where most of our other fraternity brothers are happy to be in basketball shorts all day drinking Four Loko and Jagerbombs. While we take flak, we simply shrug, take a draw from our pipes, and simply reply saying "we enjoy the simpler pleasures of a time now lost."
Welcome!

ZombieWeinerDog":d0a6z9xc said:
koogs":d0a6z9xc said:
Welcome!
...plus, where else are we going to get fanciful forum names like "ZombieWeinerDog?" :lol: I crack up every time I read that.

I'm glad there's youth pouring into the pipe, someone has to keep it going, after all. 8)

joshoowah":oy1bz8gu said:
We're experiencing a revival with all of us young folk taking up the chimney.
It's great to know the craft will continue for at least several more decades.

I still get carded at the liquor store. Does that count for anything? I'm 40.

Wayne_Teipen":fjln4nj6 said:
I still get carded at the liquor store. Does that count for anything? I'm 40.
It's the last bastion of hope in our minds that youth will never leave us. I prefer to cultivate the sophomoric heart and soul rather than rely on outward appearance. Cops often ask me how old I am when I'm up to mischief...same concept, but an entirely different conversation than at the liquor store. 8) :lol:

Just hit 29 here and enjoyed my first bowl almost 3 years ago. Looking forward to lots of tobacco smoldering in my days.

I've been told that I have an old soul, but I like to think I'm just ahead of the game for my age...

I honestly am curious how many young, closet pipe smokers there are. I'm 21 and I only smoke at the house and in the car, occasionally the wonderful cigar lounge we have here in town. However, I can see a lot of true pipe smokers being afraid of smoking in public, possibly due to ridicule of idiots who want to stereotype pipe smoking as an "old man's" hobby.

If they don't like your hobby, they can get off your #@$!!! lawn. 8)

IronKnight":ixiwkrj6 said:
I can see a lot of true pipe smokers being afraid of smoking in public, possibly due to ridicule of idiots who want to stereotype pipe smoking as an "old man's" hobby.
One of the few advantages of being old(er) :face:

Kyle Weiss":dh2vyo8k said:
Indeed, I just acquired an old rocking chair to put on the front porch...

IronKnight":p0lybdc4 said:
Kyle Weiss":p0lybdc4 said:
Indeed, I just acquired an old rocking chair to put on the front porch...
...flannel blanket, shotgun in your lap... whiskey bottle nearby (throwing it when it's empty is called a "warning shot"...) got the makings of "curmudgeon" all over it. 8)

I consider myself a young coot, you're just a real young coot.

I started smoking cigars at 19 while in college, didn't pick up the pipe until a couple of years ago. I'm now 27 and enjoying every minute of this lost art. Even trying to corrupt introduce some of my younger coworkers to it. Thankfully my wife has been on board from day one. We bought our first pipes together just after I proposed and she was right there with me digging through the drawers at the Peterson store in Dublin on our honeymoon. She's about to turn 25, so I guess she's a double anomaly, young and female, smoking a pipe.

ua_piper":n3i3sofz said:
Thankfully my wife has been on board from day one. We bought our first pipes together just after I proposed and she was right there with me digging through the drawers at the Peterson store in Dublin on our honeymoon. She's about to turn 25, so I guess she's a double anomaly, young and female, smoking a pipe.
That's an extra dose of rad--what a great wife. 8)

IronKnight":87yy8bs4 said:
I honestly am curious how many young, closet pipe smokers there are. I'm 21 and I only smoke at the house and in the car, occasionally the wonderful cigar lounge we have here in town. However, I can see a lot of true pipe smokers being afraid of smoking in public, possibly due to ridicule of idiots who want to stereotype pipe smoking as an "old man's" hobby.
Me and my buddy already get this at school. We usually put a chair out on the fraternity house porch and enjoy. We usually get odd looks and people call us old, but we embrace it, tell them to get off our steps, and pour and Old Fashioned.

IronKnight":m6aatrlb said:
However, I can see a lot of true pipe smokers being afraid of smoking in public, possibly due to ridicule of idiots who want to stereotype pipe smoking as an "old man's" hobby.
But it IS an "old man's" hobby.

that is why it is so awesome/fun/enjoyable.

I don't hesitate to smoke in public if the opportunity arises, though I'd prefer to smoke at home when I have the time to sit and relax. Initially I expected those same type of comments but I was surprised by how few were actually made. It seems that people are not easily caught off guard or surprised anymore. People either didn't notice or didn't care. I'm a creature of habit, so by now most of the folks who see me smoking in public have seen me before. It may be cliche but most of the comments I get are form aquantences who tell me about how an older relative of theirs used to smoke a pipe. No one has every been critical of it. The only complete stranger who actually approached me directly was an older guy who smoked a pipe himself and after talking briefly about how few pipe smokers there are anymore, asked me if I knew many younger guys like myself or mostly older guys who regularly smoked a pipe.