Your brand of cleaners?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenleaf

Reaction score
I've used Dill's ever since I took up the pipe. The others I've tried are just cheap, flimsy, and messy by comparison. At least I think so.

What brand do you use?

I've always used BJ long's, and there's not a thing wrong with them.

I'll have to start being conscious of how flimsy the different ones I have are....never even entered my mind. :|

I caught a sale on Angelo fluffy tapered about a year ago, Made in Germany, the price was right,,they're stiff but the fluff is thick enough to guide the wire through a bent stem without scratching the walls.

I used to use Dill's, now I use Long's. Not sure if I'm heavy handed or what, but the Long's seem to bend a lot.

I use Longs but I use two types. The ones with the red bristles I use inside the draft hole to try and keep the cake to a minimum. The standard cleaners I use for the bit.

Inside the bowl I lightly swab with a q-tip dipped in Jim Beam so I remove the ash but still allow some cake to accumulate.

I received a package of the Gloredo pipe cleaners as a sample in one of my tobacco orders from Smokingpipes.com. These things are great. The rod is some kind of alloy that doesn't bend over and kink while you are trying to use it and the package comes with a small bristle brush for use in the airway when needed. They work really well for me.

chevy5759":7p90a6fo said:
I received a package of the Gloredo pipe cleaners as a sample in one of my tobacco orders from Smokingpipes.com.
Maybe I'll get lucky and score some with my recent purchase as well!

Back to the point, I also use Longs. Primarily I use the regular soft ones with a bristle one here and there for hard cleaning. I think I may also try the extra absorbent ones as well and see how they do, I'd imagine they're awesome as well.

Greenleaf":iafc0hqi said:
I've used Dill's ever since I took up the pipe. The others I've tried are just cheap, flimsy, and messy by comparison. At least I think so.

What brand do you use?
BJ Long and only BJ Long.

dbreazeale":1svhvqje said:
Longs and BJ Longs are the same company. They're manufactured in Rochester, NY
Interesting. I did not notice that. I really thought they were two different manufacturers.

I find that the "Longs" are a much better quality than the "BJ Longs". Specifically, the wire used in the Longs version is much sturdier than the one used in the BJ version. I find that I need to be more careful when inserting the BJ version into a stem and through the shank or the cleaner will bend. The Longs version is much stronger and bend much less often and with much less fuss.

Just an observation after years of using both. I also use Dill's but find them very thin and for some of my pipes with wider airways, they can be rather ineffective so I them only on certain pipes.

Lou

Good ´ol B.J. Longs. Botk regular and bristly ones. I buy ´em in bulk and use ´em like there´s no tomorrow.... 8)

The last five bundles of Longs I was sent have one end bent in a short curve. Their "chopper"'s dull I guess.

I've either got to bend them straight, (tough because of the shortness of the bend), or take a pair of cutters and nip off last 3/8".

Anyone else get a bundle like those?

Yeah Tommy, several bundles of Long churchwarden pipecleaners I picked up have the same problem. Quality control issue I guess.

I use BJ Longs and Dunhill. I like the BJ Longs on pipe stems with large airways, but I like the Dunhill's for leaving in the stem to absorb tar as they are all cotton and seem to be a bit more absorbent.

I have used longs, and have some bristled cleaners by them, but I'm using Tom and Jerry's right now, because that is what the local B&M carries. The quality doesn't seem great--some bundles contain what I think is inadvertent extra fluffiness.