Your brand of cleaners?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local B&M started stocking Vauen pipes and tobaccos. I don't have much use for those, but their pipe cleaners are MARVELOUS! Tapered just right and stiff enough to handle some of my older bent Stanwells right down to the bowl.

I use the BJ longs extra absorbent extra long cleaners. The B&M lady kept asking if I had a churchwarden. I do not, I just like how I can use both ends to clean the pipe after smoking. One for the stem and one for the hell of the bowl, and a quick bowl brush if I really want to tidy things up. I cant get many bristled cleaners through most of my stems so I like the smooth slender quality they have.

I've been using the Gloredo's that smoking pipes has, and they are quite good. Their stiffness is great, and they come with that shank brush.

The only issue is the price. A dollar more for half the cleaners you can get with Long's is what I paid.

Still, they are great. In regards to taking care of your pipe with cleaners, I heard somebody once say "Pipe cleaners are very cheap, but new pipes are expensive". Maybe it is worth going the extra mile for my briars.

I use BJ Long, I buy them in the 100 count bags. I prefer the tapered fluffy and the bristle straights. I also use Gloredo pipe cleaners, the little bristle brush works wonders.

Thanks for the tip on the Gloredo pipe cleaners -- I see Smoking Pipes sells them -- I'll need to include some in my next order. They are a bit more expensive, but I have a few pipes (particularly a twin-bore) where many other pipe cleaners have caused issues. I also like the bonus brush that's included.

I've had decent luck with Dill's -- and Dill yellow sleeves are easy to find, $1.50, with or without bristles. BJ Longs work quite well too -- I particularly like their tapered cleaners. I also have and use both bristle styles as needed.

One brand that's a disaster is "Comoy's of London Premium Rayon Pipe Cleaners" I had P&C include some in an order recently. Some of the rayon comes off between my fingers when I run them along the length of the cleaner and too often leave some rayon in the pipe. Ugh ... my first and last purchase of Comoy's pipe cleaners.

Long's & Falcon for all my needs, although I have others I've picked up and use once in a while

I use three types of cleaners. I use the Dills for when I go out because the packaging is quite handy and on thinner stems. I use the BJ Longs extra fluffy and their bristle cleaners for the rest of the times. Best price on the BJ's I have found is P&C, almost a buck cheaper per hundred than the competition.

I use three brands of cleaners. First and foremost I use the Norwegian produced pipe cleaners from Mesna (Same brand used to make GL Lillehammer pipes.).
Secondly i use Brebbia, these are easily accessible and cheap.
For some reason a Ebay seller sent me bucketloads of Dills cleaners with a pipe i ordered, so i use some now and then.

I picked up some bj-long cleaners the otger day and it seems to be a nice cleaner. Thanks for the suggestions posted

when I go to the B&M it's Long's regular, when I place an order online I order BJ Long tapered regular and try to keep a nice mix of both. I started out using Long's bristle but I quit.

I only use the Zen Bristle pipe cleaners.
I bought them from Amazon, I got a box that had 48 bundles of 44 pipe cleaners
each for less than $35 delivered.
2112 pipe cleaners for around 1 2/3 cents each. that's under 73 cents a bundle.
They work great, very bristly.
Sometimes the bristles try to poke into my fingers.

Funny you should ask. I just got my supply of Long's standard cleaners -- 10 packs x 56 per pack = 560 cleaners for $11.99. I also have a few of the shank brushes which run around $3.00 per and are reusable.

A little pipe cleaner trick I use -- Bend the cleaner a few degrees approx 3/4" from the down-to-the-bowl end. Spin it up and down the shank. When I do this in a shank that seemed dry and clean I'll remove a bit more unwanted residue.

I've been using both Dill's as well as Longs. Made an estate pipe purchase on ebay and the seller was awesome and sent along a bag of each plus a tamper as well.

BJ Longs are good pipe cleaners. Dill's are too flexible,and their bristle pipe cleaners aren't stiff enough. Rayon pipe cleaners swab, but don't absorb.

My favorite: Ream N Klean. They're a bit hard to find these days, but there's nothing like them. The regulars have a wire that stands up to swabbing it through the shank, and the bristles are just a hair's breadth longer, and staffer than other brands. And their "Fluffy Tails," a tapered bristle pipe cleaner is unbeatable. This brand really cleans out a pipe about as well as it can be done. Google the brand, and you can find places that sell a dozen packs.

As for regular pipe cleaners, Gloredo are a bit pricey, but they're superlative, and the fact that they include a shank brush is simply tops. The only problem is that the airhole in some pipes is too narrow to accommodate the brand, but then, there are plenty of other brands that will go in--nothing wrong with BJ Longs, which is where I started.

Best pipe cleaner of all--the one you're going to use every time you smoke your pipe.
best,
Eric

ravkesef":abbcsvr9 said:
Best pipe cleaner of all--the one you're going to use every time you smoke your pipe.
best,
Eric
This +1 :twisted: