Your brushing technique!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthonyx2b

Reaction score
I'm a young man who had braces for 5 years to good nice straight teeth, but I don't want to yellow them with my pipe smoking hobby. I'm looking into getting teeth whiteners but for the teeth fanatics, what do you do for your teeth because of your pipe smoking? do you brush more? Longer? Use different mouth wash? nothing different? don't care? id like to hear back! :D

Use good hygiene: floss daily, brush twice a day and for stains brush with baking soda 3 times a week. Anymore than that is damaging to your enamel.

For me, coffee is the bigger culprit and the above works for me.

I use crest pro health. When I first started with pipes, I noticed the detergent action of the toothpaste aggravated tongue bite. That is no longer an issue.

I brush regularly and have not noticed teeth darkening. I have read that acid levels in your mouth can add to plaque formation. Because smoke is a base, I think I have seen less plaque formation. Maybe it is just my imagination?

Also it is important to know the nicotine restricts blood vessels. If you smoke too much you can have issues with your gums.

I don't worry about it. I brush regularly and thoroughly, floss and use a mouthwash (Some pipe smokers recommend Biotene, I've tried it and it works well, but awful expensive where I'm at). I have incredibly sensitive teeth though, so I'm stuck using Sensodyne, or another sensitivity paste, but I'll look for one with a whitener in it.

No issues with stains as a result of smoking so far (As Gravel said, I find coffee to be worse) and I don't see any to come if I keep up this routine.

I enjoy cigars as well as pipes. I noticed years ago, when I kept a cigar clenched in my mouth, the resulting staining to my teeth was much worse than exposing them to smoke alone. Clenching pipes shouldn't have any negative results, compared to clenching cigars.

As mentioned by J Soshe nicotine restricts blood vessels, and gum disease is something most people experience as they get older, whether they smoke or not. To combat gum disease, I brush 2-3 times a day, and rinse with Biotene after brushing. In addition, I rinse with warm sea salt just prior to going to bed.

Biotene seems to be fairly expensive compared to regular mouthwash, but if you are careful to only use a tablespoon as per the directions, you will find a bottle goes much further, making it much more affordable. I think the secret to the effectiveness of Biotene, is the peppermint oil, which helps fight gum disease.

My dentist said the biggest problem is pulling smoke into teeth... meaning for a pipe smoker if you held the the pipe stem between your lips and pulled in the smoke with a closed jaw you would have the smoke hit your teeth first. That can cause significant staining (same for cigars). If you open your jaw such that the smoke is going to your tongue first (or hold the end of the stem with your teeth) then you will do less staining. Otherwise I brush twice per day and floss a couple times a week... my dental hygienist says she can't tell I smoke or drink a couple coffees per day. I use Crest ProHealth (as recommended by my Dentist). I think the issue of staining (coffee, wine, tobacco) is less these days since many toothpastes contain whiteners.

Everything you really like is illegal, immoral or smells bad. Get over it. :lol!:

Cigars, pipe tobacco and coffee do a collective number on the color of your teeth. If that's an over-riding concern, the implication's pretty obvious.

FWIW : I was at the dentist's yesterday morning. Since my (maduro brown) top front teeth were numbed already, he polished the brown staining completely away. Didn't take him long at all, either.

Of potential relevance ?

:face:

Anthonyx2b":2msjezsy said:
Will baking soda help with previous stains?
Yes, if they are surface stains. Baking soda is abrasive and should not be used daily.

Yak":d8ru4ulb said:
FWIW : I was at the dentist's yesterday morning. Since my (maduro brown) top front teeth were numbed already, he polished the brown staining completely away. Didn't take him long at all, either.

Of potential relevance ?

:face:
What!! You must be mad! Next someone will tell us that getting yr teeth cleaned every six months will keep yr pearly whites pearly and keep yr gums healthy. In between, use a whitening toothpaste and pro-health m'wash. (read the directions, though). Red wine is also problematic. Red wine plus pipes is worse, but, hey, if you have the antidote, who cares ;)

FWIW -- I use Crest Multi-protection. I used it for about a month before I read the directions :oops: which said to use it after brushing and use only four teaspoons

Yak":pa7hn5cs said:
Everything you really like is illegal, immoral or smells bad. Get over it. :lol!:
Too true! :lol:

I must admit I haven't really given much consideration for this. Just the normal brushing-flossing routine for tooth health but indeed as a coffee drinker I think there are few chances if any for me to keep my teeth white... or I guess I could if I gave up pipe and coffee, but then I wouldn't smile enough for anyone to notice the pretty chompers lol

Wire brush and dettol......definitely! :lol:

It's a little more expensive as you will need to buy a 2nd wire brush (I don't recommend doubling up with the same brush that you use for cleaning your gentleman's bits)

Hope this helps!

Jers

Thank you for all the positive feedback! I have troubles with staining on the back of my lower teeth, i don't think its from smoking but probably from coffee and other dark drinks such as tea whatever it might be. I have permanent retainers behind my teeth so getting my tooth brush below that and yet effectively is difficult.

My tooth stain nemesis is hot tea. Try to brush AND FLOSS after every meal and before bed. Get your teeth cleaned every 6 months. Other than that it depends a lot on your chemistry. My hygienist gave me a metal shaver for my trouble teeth (lower front). You can find floss that's a little more abrasive to use once a week.

A lot of whiteners kill my teeth. I guess I'm sensitive. I may get them whitened by my dentist if they get too bad. Artificial white is little extreme to me. Women seem to like it but it would suck if you kill your enamel with OTC whiteners. YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR ENAMEL!! I'd rather have ivory colored teeth than rotten teeth from not having enamel. I have a relative that was born with enamel problems. It sucks.

Flossing is as important as brushing. If it bleeds, keeps flossing every day until it doesn't, or else see your dentist. Find a good thorough dentist and make him/her your friend. My dentist has caused me more pain than most surgeries I've had but he's my buddy. We joke about it.

Suck it up, be a man and keep those choppers in tip top shape.

A man's best friends are his lawyer, accountant, mechanic, barber, doctor and dentist. Find good ones! It takes a while.

I'm surprised nobody else has already mentioned this but investing in a really good electric toothbrush will help greatly in removing stains and keeping good oral hygiene. You may already own one in which case I think you are ahead of the game.

Pair a good electric toothbrush with some of the cleaning agents and mouth rinses mentioned above and I think you are on a winner.

As previously stated regular visits to a good Dentist is also a good idea.

Fraternally

Jers

ps of course for the cost of really good electric toothbrush you could buy a very nice pipe.... :scratch:

Crest Pro-Health Whitening toothpaste daily, and hydrogen peroxide a couple times a week are all I do. The wife complains my teeth are whiter than hers....I personally don't care so long as they are healthy and I don't have cavities. I went to the dentists for the first time in about 10 years just before starting this job and he told me "You must see a dentist regularly because your teeth are in great shape." I told him I hadn't in years and he told me to keep up doing what I am doing.