Your favorite Aromatic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texican

Reaction score
So I have a cheapo Dr. Grabow sitting here. I decided I'd dedicate it to aromatics.

That said, I'm at a loss. Back in college, I started out with cherry backy. Burned my tongue like crazy until I was introduced to some McClelland Va/Pers. Then I married the old woman and settled down for a bit. I do remember enjoying Sweet Killarney, which my wife (then girlfriend) went gaga over.

Fast forward six years. I've picked the pipe back up again. My tastes have sort of changed and now, for me, it is about flavor rather than ambiance.

What's your favorite aromatic? Especially those that tend to use the flavor of the tobaccos to meld well with the overall flavor.

I don't know if it qualifies as an aromatic, but I love its simple sweet room note and its tobacco centric flavor profile - McClelland Fragrant Matured 2000. It's definitely on the sweet side and moist enough to require a damn good drying. Whether or not it's an aromatic is surely debatable.

Mcclelland holiday spirit. Just cracked a tin from bombing I received. Darn good stuff , sweet smell and tasty too!

DrumsAndBeer":rrsrxgyv said:
I don't know if it qualifies as an aromatic, but I love its simple sweet room note and its tobacco centric flavor profile - McClelland Fragrant Matured 2000. It's definitely on the sweet side and moist enough to require a damn good drying. Whether or not it's an aromatic is surely debatable.
+1 , Highly recommended.

This question could be asked of me half a dozen times a year and receive half a dozen different answers. Right now my favorite autumn semi-aromatic is sounding awful good despite that my hankering is seasonally premature. It's called Essence of Vermont and it's a burley perique with a bit of maple flavor.

Summer is typically rum season for me, and as such P&W Rum Cake and G&H Rum Flake (a lakeland) are my go-to blends.

Brigadier Black Alamo can be found at P & C.com. Hands down, for me, best aromatic available commercially.

I smoked aromatics the first time around. I loved a black Vanilla Cavendish. Wasn't cloying.

I really enjoyed a bowl of C&D Mild English (also listed as Sweet English some places)...it's a mild English blend with caramel and vanilla.

Tinderbox Black Russian, the only aromatic ill smoke.. if you go slow with it, you will deffinitly be rewarded. But yeah, thats about the only one ill smoke nowadays..

Pretty much the only aro I smoke is Uhle's #255. It's cube cut burley with a light top dressing of licorice.

It's what my late Pap smoked exclusively, and if it was good enough for Pap it's good enough for me!

;) 

Cheers,

RR

Rob_In_MO":nv8rysbn said:
Milonga by Dan Tobacco.

A very high grade VA blend with just the right amount of topping.
THIS +2 for an Aromatic and McClelland's Fragrant Matured 2000 for an ALL RED VA with a nice sweet taste and pleasant room note. :lol: 

If I'm being honest, most of the time I reach for an aro its either 1Q or CBW. I have a few other favorites in there too. Holiday Cheer, as mentioned above. Autumn Evening is also very good. I would also consider H&H Classic Burley Kake to be an aro, and I definitely like that one. Boswell's makes some good ones too. Hunter's Choice is probably my favorite of the bunch.

mark":9n3h0ro8 said:
DrumsAndBeer":9n3h0ro8 said:
+1 , Highly recommended.
As monbla already gave his +2, I'll give a +3.

gravel":7q6l6169 said:
mark":7q6l6169 said:
DrumsAndBeer":7q6l6169 said:
+1 , Highly recommended.
As monbla already gave his +2, I'll give a +3.

+4.

I'll second Dave on 1Q, too...simple, inexpensive, and always reliable.

McC FMC 2000, before I started having issues with McClelland (personal thing, YMMV) was what I turned to for a sweet treat. Whether or not I'm moving up or down in the world (MMMV :lol:) Carter Hall is about as close as I get at the moment.

8)

Lane Limited 1Q and MacBaren 7 Seas Reg came in today and 1Q is definitely my new favourite. The missus loves the 7 Seas though.

Condor L/C.   No question about it.   Hell, it wasn't even close!    :lol: 

276ReOt.jpg

Well if FMC 2000 counts as an aro I like it just fine. And in retrospect, I do fancy the odd bowl of SG Firedance once in a while when the mood is uopn me.

So guess I do delve into the world of aros more than I thought.... on occasion, mind!

:rabbit: 

Cheers,

RR