Your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Manufacturer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dakki":hrz95d17 said:
Views are counted every time someone has actually clicked on the topic, whether it's the first time or the 1000th, I think.
yes, but my point is with over two hundred people passing through I expected a few more would have voted,,,,

Piet Binsbergen":2x2ax3o5 said:
McClelland and C&D!
Kap what about GLP? these would be my top 3!
GLP is manufactured by C&D (and a number of other marques as well).

mark said:
Dakki":20b5dnc1 said:
yes, but my point is with over two hundred people passing through I expected a few more would have voted,,,,
It has always been my impression that the vast majority of those who visit this board regularly do not post, or not much anyway.

Kapnismologist":pdt1nvbe said:
Piet Binsbergen":pdt1nvbe said:
McClelland and C&D!
Kap what about GLP? these would be my top 3!
GLP is manufactured by C&D (and a number of other marques as well).
Kap, I know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
....... but there are still distinctive characteristics on both sides which are unique to the blenders themselves!!!!!! :clown:

Piet Binsbergen":7l47rdm4 said:
....... but there are still distinctive characteristics on both sides which are unique to the blenders themselves!!!!!! :clown:
Of course, the same with Orlik production (think of the difference between Dunhill vs. Peter Stokkebye bulks for example: both made in the same factory by the same workers using some common tobaccos held in the same warehouse, but the blends turn out very different) and so forth with many of the other manufacturers.

The poll was about favorite 'manufacturer' rather than 'blender'*.

In any case, it is interesting to see that McClelland is in the lead thus far!

* I would add here that I tend to group my own tobaccos by manufacturer rather than by marque. So, because my bag of C&D OJK and tin of Westminster were made in the exact same building by the exact same workers using the exact same equipment, for all intents and purposes they are both C&D to me (not in terms of front marque, but in terms of origin).

From the list, I only have smoked blends from K&K, MB, Orlik and SG so far. Most of my blends are from Dan Tobacco or Motzek. The latter is a small local German manufacturer who’s offering great tobacco blends at almost rediculously low prices, so i chose "Other".

This is a difficult choice, with so many favorite blends. If all manufacturers ceased production except the one I choose, I must vote for who makes Robert McConnell and Fribourg & Treyer. But I don't know who it is... :oops:

Wet Dottle":fr6zh29u said:
...who makes Robert McConnell and Fribourg & Treyer. But I don't know who it is... :oops:
Kohlhase & Kopp now makes the Robert McConnell line; I am fairly certain that the Fribourg & Treyer tins are also currently produced by K&K as well. For a while, they were made by another German manufacturer, Planta, who has also produced Presbyterian Mixture for years now.

However, K&K does not list the F&T line on their site (but that does not necessarily mean that they are not the one making it).

mark":upezp2hi said:
Dakki":upezp2hi said:
Views are counted every time someone has actually clicked on the topic, whether it's the first time or the 1000th, I think.
I've probably looked at this thread 5 to 10 times. Each time counts as a view.

# of people who've looked at this thread is another matter entirely.

C&D is one thing.

GLP that C&D manufacture to his specs is another one entirely.

Not a well thought-out menu of choices, IMHO.

GLP

Period.

SG FVF Honorable Mention.

:face:

Kapnismologist":wuam9xgw said:
Kohlhase & Kopp now makes the Robert McConnell line; I am fairly certain that the Fribourg & Treyer tins are also currently produced by K&K as well.
Vote cast, then. McClelland would be the runner up.

Kapnismologist":kln1ahj4 said:
Piet Binsbergen":kln1ahj4 said:
Of course, the same with Orlik production (think of the difference between Dunhill vs. Peter Stokkebye bulks for example: both made in the same factory by the same workers using some common tobaccos held in the same warehouse, but the blends turn out very different) and so forth with many of the other manufacturers.

The poll was about favorite 'manufacturer' rather than 'blender'*.

In any case, it is interesting to see that McClelland is in the lead thus far!

* I would add here that I tend to group my own tobaccos by manufacturer rather than by marque. So, because my bag of C&D OJK and tin of Westminster were made in the exact same building by the exact same workers using the exact same equipment, for all intents and purposes they are both C&D to me (not in terms of front marque, but in terms of origin).
Agreed Kap and spoken like a true academic.................
Agreed on McClelland! did not think it would be in the lead by such a long shot! It is 2015 week for me, can't seem to leave the stuff alone!!

Yak...... for sure, a hearty shout out for FVF!!

Piet Binsbergen":sog7sq2b said:
... Agreed on McClelland! did not think it would be in the lead by such a long shot! It is 2015 week for me, can't seem to leave the stuff alone!! ...
Given what seems to be a general popularity of Euro stuff amongst our brothers its lead so far has surprised me too, but there is still time to go for the poll (I set it at 7 days).

But then again, that 2015 is tasty stuff indeed!

Anders And":6dc0e15w said:
From the list, I only have smoked blends from K&K, MB, Orlik and SG so far. Most of my blends are from Dan Tobacco or Motzek. The latter is a small local German manufacturer who’s offering great tobacco blends at almost rediculously low prices, so i chose "Other".
Found the site for Motzek here: http://www.raucherhimmel.de

Cool!

What do you say about their blends? No Name sounds interesting!

Manufacturer? Blender?

Define the difference?

I didn't vote because there was no place for GLP.

Slow Puffs":pr4cngi6 said:
Manufacturer? Blender?

Define the difference?

I didn't vote because there was no place for GLP.
Sure - I suppose I should have done that up front!

This poll has nothing to do with particular marques, but rather simply with the actual physical factories which produce the various marques we all know and love.

The marque GLP would be under C&D (as a manufacturer, not a marque), where the blends are actually made and tinned on the same machinery, with many of the same common stock of base tobaccos, with the same mixing trays and tinning machines and tins, by the same workers, etc. as everything else C&D makes at their little facility in Morganton, North Carolina (i.e., C&D marques, Hermit blends, Low Country, GLP, etc.).

A manufacturer is the one who actually manufacturers a blend (i.e., owns or runs the actual factory). A blender would be the one who simply provides the recipe to the factory. Most manufacturers on both sides of the pond produce blends from different 'blenders'. By this definition, some manufacturers are also 'blenders', such as SG or GH for example.

But, again, this poll is simply about manufacturers rather than specific marques/blenders such as GLP (C&D), Dunhill (Orlik), Rattray's (K&K), Esoterica (Germain), etc., etc.

Should have clarified what I meant up front - sorry!

Kapnismologist":bspnbq3l said:
Found the site for Motzek here: http://www.raucherhimmel.de

Cool!

What do you say about their blends? No Name sounds interesting!
Yep, that’s the site.

These are the blends I’ve tried so far:

Herbst 84 – my favourite English blend to date, imho a very well-balanced composition of VA, LA and Orientals. Not too strong, it’s a nice all-day smoke.

"TAK" M74 – light, but spicy VA, PER & BC blend.

Typ 3/2 Danish Blend – very mild VA/BC blend with a subtle spiciness.

Typ 6 Meistermischung – granulated cut with a very small portion of LA. This was my first contact with Latakia blends. I got hooked as soon as I smoked my first bowl.

All of these blends are non-aromatic. I can recommend all of them and would buy them anytime again.

My next order will be the curly rope (BU/PER core and VA) – I’m very curious to explore this one!

I voted for GH as I do love their high nicotine blends, Dark Flake and Plug and their ropes. Although I do have a jar or three with some of their other blends, that's it. I also love VAs, am learning to like burleys more and more; for instance, I'm breaking in a new pipe with C&D's Burley Flake #1 and really am enjoying it. But for a burley blend it seems to have a good amount of VA and Perique, or so my nose and taste tell me.

It seems that I have one blend from each tobacco maker/blender that I really love:

GLP - Cumberland
K&K - Various
Peterson - University and Irish Flakes
SG - Best Brown
C&D - With their stupendous amount of blends, it's not clear to me why I don't have a C&D favorite.
GH- the above

Interesting results so far, as for my vote the top manufacturer would be C&D for the amazing GL Pease line, next would be McClelland and next Samuel Gawith.