Your first one? :)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Any one remember the first blend they tried in their first pipe ? I got introduced to a pipe while in "Nam back in '69 by an Army doctor and he smoked Granger tobacco so that's what I started with and kept smoking it when I got back up until an English guy I worked with introduced me to the world of Dunhill :p I still have some of the old tins I got my Granger in in my garage holding nails/screws etc. Anyone remember them:
il_570xN2287147191.jpg
and is this 'bac still made as I don't see it in the drugstores anymore :p

When I was a young 'un, Pop let me try some of his Flying Dutchman, 'Bout blistered my tongue.

Mine was Borkum Riff Whiskey in a drug store Dr. Grabow... probably was around 24 or 25 at the time. Could never explain that severe tongue bite I used to get. :lol!:

My first blend was a house blend called Sweet Dutch Cavendish. Probably a Lane mixture. A lot of B&Ms take bulk and mix a few to get different blends.

Picked up a pouch the other day. Brings back a lot of memories.

BC-A in a Pete System (317, I think). My local tobacconist called it "Holmes 3". Holmes 1 was 1-Q. Holmes 2 was RLP-6.

I miss that tobacconist. I wish I would've taken greater advantage of a pipe shop with real pipes and real tins. Now its a wine and cigar place.

First go around was a Yello Bole filled with HH in the Early 90's. Kept with it, left it, came back, left, now am back full time.

Powderhorn an aromatic in a MM cob from Golden Leaf a B&M in Minneapolis. After exploring many other aros I still rate it up high. It is different tasting than anything else I have tried so far.

Ronson pipe and Revelation in '80 or '81. They were my Father's. Still have the pipe.

Carter Hall back in 1959, which was my primary blend for the next 35 years. I still smoke a few bowls of it every day.

My father had tried pipes to help him quit cigarettes, but he eventually went with small cigars. Several years later, I would sneak his pipes out and try them, using some dried up London dock and Kentucky Club samples (I still have the little sample tins around someplace).

Condor ready rubbed in a dodgy Tyrolean pipe that I had picked up on a school skiing trip.

Amazingly I did not throw up but I seem to recall that I was not myself for the rest of the day. :bounce:

Knowing what I know now I suspect I was on some kind of nicotine high.

Needless to say that first attempt at pipe smoking did not last for very long and it was at least 10 years before I tired a pipe again.

B&M Bulk Burley in a basket bent billiard when I was a Sophomore in college, about 12 years ago. Didn't really pick it back up until a few years ago when I bought a Savinelli 209 and a tin Blackwoods Flake from smokingpipes.com.

Captain Black Cherry in a Grabow I bought from CVS.

That was back in the mid 90's, and it's amazing I ever picked the pipe back up again...

My first smoke was Tinderbox's Sunset in my old no name bent billiard, which has lots of fills and is simply stamped "Algerian Briar Made in France."

A no name briar pipe and no name black cherry, from one of those smoke shops of ill repute. I still remember the tongue bite. About 1 1/2 years ago.