Your Most Unusual Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiltjlp

Reaction score
Any of us who have been pipe smokers for a while probably have a varied collection. But what would you say is the most unusual pipe you’ve ever had? And you define what is meant by unusual. Now, it’s not enough to identify that one pipe, but please tell us why it’s unusual.

For me it’s a Ropp cherrywood poker, and I find it unusual for several reasons. First, it’s made from an actual piece of a cherry tree branch, with most of the bark left on the outer bowl. It’s square, or I should say, diamond shaped, but being from a tree, it’s a bit uneven on its sides, so it has a unique feel in the hand. Also, the bottom wasn’t cut perfectly, so it sits at a bit of an angle.

But the most unusual feature to me is its carburetor, or air hole, in the bottom of the pipe. My guess is that the carburetor feature was created to help improve airflow for pipes that were packed too tightly. And I would imagine the carburetor does its job nicely, if you pack too tightly.

But I pack my pipes looser than most smokers, and so that carburetor just made things worse, to the point the pipe was almost unsmokable. Which is why I gave it away a few years ago. Well, since I began smoking again earlier this year, I was given the pipe back. This time, I decided to try Dark Strong Flake in it, and it smoked it like magic, as long as I kept my thumb over that carburetor air hole. So I thought about it, and came up with an easy solution. I cut a short piece of pipe cleaner, and pushed it into the carburetor air hole. The problem is solved, and the Ropp cherrywood poker is now a very good, unusual pipe.

trevor_talbert_goblin_1.jpg

trevor_talbert_goblin_2.jpg

sstodvictory":cykjtws3 said:

Whoa - now that’s some pipe! Talbert is a great pipe maker who pushes the boundaries. He uses excellent briar so I’m guessing that it’s a great smoke. There was one Goblin I was looking at pretty seriously, but it disappeared in a flash saving me a pretty penny.

Unfortunately, it is exactly what it appears to be.

Whether it's hillbilly ingenuity gone wrong, or an implement of voodoo, it's just plain GROSS!

Dude, that's kind of..... gross :suspect:

Have you smoked it? Might have a "buffalo wings" kind of ghost to it....

MisterE":4mxx3zch said:

Oh you should see it up close! It is creepy! It has a rubbery feel.
I got it for a Halloween photo of scary pipes, and as soon as I take the pic, the KFC pipe is going in the dumpster!
The scariest part is that somebody smoked out of it...:pale:

Harlock999":01w8flea said:
MisterE":01w8flea said:

Oh you should see it up close! It is creepy! It has a rubbery feel.
I got it for a Halloween photo of scary pipes, and as soon as I take the pic, the KFC pipe is going in the dumpster!
The scariest part is that somebody smoked out of it...:pale:
Eeeeeeeew!! :lol!:

I cant decide if the fact that it is real makes it even more awesome or less so. I would definitely keep it. Probably put it somewhere so that it is the first thing people see when they come in my house.

That pipe needs to be preserved as a warning to future generations. You didn't really get a pipe you intend to throw out before smoking, did you? Now, what tobacco would constitute a worthy contribution to that pipe's ghost?

Frost":e0kolnhc said:
I cant decide if the fact that it is real makes it even more awesome or less so. I would definitely keep it. Probably put it somewhere so that it is the first thing people see when they come in my house.
Hey Frost, after Halloween, that "pipe" is yours if you actually want it!
Free of charge, hell, I might even pay you to take it from me...

Harlock999":6r5hp11c said:
Frost":6r5hp11c said:
Hey Frost, after Halloween, that "pipe" is yours if you actually want it!
Free of charge, hell, I might even pay you to take it from me...
Hell, I'll take it when your done with it, if only to freak out my wife and the neigborhood kids! :cheers: :lol: