Zippo, A Great American Company

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSmoke

Reaction score
I just wanted to give some kudos to the fine folks at Zippo.

I'm not going to say that I am a superstitious person, though I do knock on wood now and then to prevent from "jinxing" myself, and I have a good luck charm, my trusty Zippo lighter. I have always carried a Zippo with me for as long as I can remember. When I was 16 or 17 (96 or 97), my girlfriend (now wife) gave me a standard chrome Zippo. Back then I was a pack a day Marlboro man and it suited me well. I took that Zippo with me all over the world with my travels as an Infantryman in the US Army (I joined at 17 with my parents' signature). I had that Zippo for about 10 years when the unthinkable happened. I was on my way home from one of my many trips (2007). My Zippo was safely packed in my checked luggage, it hadn't had fuel in it since 2004 when I kicked the Marlboro habit. Well, German customs conducted a search of my bags in Frankfurt and confiscated my Zippo.....I didn't find out until I was back stateside, it broke my heart. The Customs Agent only left a small slip of paper in its place stating that my Zippo was verboten.

Fast forward six months....

My family and I are relaxing and spending some quality time together in Orlando (pre-deployment leave) before I head back to the Middle East. We had just finished a delicious meal at the Hard Rock Cafe right outside Universal Studios, and I found myself in a nice Tobacco/Cigar Shoppe.....it was there that I found my new Zippo. A beautiful chrome standard with a waving American Flag etched on the side, it seemed very symbolic considering where I was going. It also would serve to remind me of the time spent with my loving family in the States.

My new Zippo has been with me to several different countries and two theaters of combat. It is my good luck charm. Needless to say, there is no way I am letting this one out of my sight.

So here I am in Afghanistan, waiting for my Peterson and some choice tobacco to get here from Cup O' Joes. I've been all through this forum, collecting tips, expanding my knowledge and making friends, when I happen upon a few members talking about the Zippo Pipe Insert. Now this is PERFECT for me and I've got to get one. I set out on the internet searching high and low on where I can get this insert. I never find it....not the real Zippo insert anyways. So I reach out to Zippo for help. I explain my situation via email to a customer relations associate and ask where one can be purchased.

Today, I received an email from Zippo stating that they do not offer the inserts for individual purchase and that normally the Zippo must be sent to them to have the insert installed, but because of my circumstance (and the fact that I'm on the other side of the world) an exception was made and the insert would be mailed today, free of charge. That is almost unheard of these days.

I've read the reviews out there on pipe lighters, and I know there are differences of opinion between the brothers about using a Zippo to light up their favorite bowl, but for me, I'm a Zippo man all the way. I will continue to carry a Zippo in my pocket for a long, long time. So if you ever need a light, I'm the guy to ask.

Thanks for reading this.....Eric.

Indeed! A Zippo with a pipe insert has been my lighter of choice for many years! "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking!!" If you ever get to Bradford, PA (actually quite isolated, out of the way place), stop by the Zippo-Case Museum and Shop. Worth a detour if you have an extra day and are in, say, Pittsburgh.

I think once I get back from this trip my family and I will head up to the museum. I've got some family in Morgantown, not too far from Pittsburgh, should be a great time!

I am excited to use the pipe insert on my new Peterson which could be here tomorrow, but may have to wait until next week.

Nice little story Eric, I really enjoyed reading it. I am also impressed with Zippo's service...that alone would make me a lifetime customer.

They replaced a insert on my oldest Zippo. I think the pipe insert is a big plus. All for the cost of mailing your lighter to them. I've traveled near the Zippo factory, but never stopped to take the tour, a good reminder to correct that error.

Thanks fellas,

I can't see myself opting for any other source of fire anytime soon. I guess when I get back a road trip is in order. First to Boswell's and on to the Zippo Museum!

NewSmoke":sqbkmwcx said:
Thanks fellas,

I can't see myself opting for any other source of fire anytime soon. I guess when I get back a road trip is in order. First to Boswell's and on to the Zippo Museum!
Let me know when you are going to Boswell's, I might be able to meet you. I'd love to see what you pick out! (I live 25 minutes down the road in MD)

I've got my mid-tour coming up this winter, I may try to make go of it then. I live between D.C. and Baltimore, I figure it would be about an hour and a half drive for me. That would be cool to meet, check out the sweet smoking lounge there. If I don't make it this winter, I'll def be up there early summer.

Great story, I am glad there are still big American companies that treat their customers as family.

I, too, purchased a regular Zippo lighter last weekend while at the Pipe Den in Vero Beach. It was a firefighter memorial theme. Upon taking it home and looking at it more closely, I found that it was a limited edition, numbered lighter as well. Number 101/250 to be exact. Upon calling Zippo to see if I could buy just a pipe insert, but they told me I could not. I could however, send them my lighter to have them "fit" it for a pipe insert. I explained my hesitation to send a limited edition lighter in the mail especially as I ships 100's of packages a week and I know how easily they get lost. She recommended that I insure the package on the way to them but when I asked if Zippo would insure it for it's return to me, the answer was no. After pushing her for a few minutes, she said she make an "exception" this one time but she could not guarantee that the insert will fit my lighter as I'm not sending it in. I offered to give her the SKU number and lighter information so that they could match the insert to the lighter but she then told me it wasn't necessary.

Hopefully it arrive soon and I'll be able to start using it.

Airborne":41nu0ezt said:
Great story, Eric.

Here’s my brass covered Zippo from Vietnam that I’ve had since 1967 when I was 19. Jeez, that’s forty-five years ago. Dang it, must be getting old (me and the lighter, both with a little wear on us)! Infantrymen are by and large a superstitious lot so the lighter became my talisman. I used it for a few years after I got out of the army but not since then. I often thought about putting it back in action but the urge hasn’t been strong enough yet.

Yep, Zippo’s a great company.

Wow. That's profound. I love Zippo for making great lighters like this one.