Zippo Blu

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer8

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any experience, positive or negative, with the Zippo Blu lighter. Looks very similar to the classic Zippo, maybe a little bigger. Come with the same lifetime warranty. Uses a flint ignition and butane for fuel. I'm curious as to how it would be for lighting pipes.

Hammer8":lwa9ud72 said:
Just wondering if anyone has any experience, positive or negative, with the Zippo Blu lighter. Looks very similar to the classic Zippo, maybe a little bigger. Come with the same lifetime warranty. Uses a flint ignition and butane for fuel. I'm curious as to how it would be for lighting pipes.
Looks like a nice lighter with the Zippo name. The main problem with it is that the flame is not adjustable. So if you decide to get one, make sure you are happy with the flame cause that it: you can't lower or raise the flame.

For a pipe, probably not the best choice since it's not an angled flame.

Having said that, I may end up with one myself. Not sure if I'm willing to spend the money.

It's been awhile since I played with one, but I think I remember it is a torch, which would make it a bad choice for a pipe. I'll look online see if I'm right.

Texas Outlaw":2r09lc6a said:
The main problem with it is that the flame is not adjustable. So if you decide to get one, make sure you are happy with the flame cause that it: you can't lower or raise the flame.

For a pipe, probably not the best choice since it's not an angled flame.
That's what makes me leery. I really don't want to take the chance on scorching rims. Probably great for cigars, not so good for pipes. I wonder how it would work pointing the flame downward at an angle-- like using a Bic lighter on a pipe.

There's a couple on E-Bay right now. If I could pick one up for $20 or $25 I might try one just to see if it would work on an older pipe before taking any chances on a good one. Can't see spending too much more than a regular Zippo pipe lighter that I know works.

I've been watching ebay for one too. Unfortunately, these are more expensive than traditional zippos. I hope you won the last one for 22.

Texas Outlaw":33dalk7m said:
I've been watching ebay for one too. Unfortunately, these are more expensive than traditional zippos. I hope you won the last one for 22.
Actually I did win that one. :cheers: It should be here this week. I figure at that price, I still did OK to try it out. If I don't care for how it works, I won't be out that much. I'll let you know how it does.

Hammer8":fb0aur61 said:
Texas Outlaw":fb0aur61 said:
Actually I did win that one. :cheers: It should be here this week. I figure at that price, I still did OK to try it out. If I don't care for how it works, I won't be out that much. I'll let you know how it does.
Yeah I had a bid on it until I realized that we were bidding against each other, so I stopped. Enjoy!

Texas Outlaw":gvkotr1f said:
Dave":gvkotr1f said:
I like these for a pipe
Angled flame
Flint lighting system
Soft adjustable flame
Lifetime guarantee

With a good heavy feel to the lighter

http://www.xikar.com/product_lighter_pipeline.asp
I like my old boy but it has given me trouble in terms of not wanting to light. I knwo I probably need to bleed the lighter or something, but I may have to give Xikar a try.

I have had one for 3 months now and it never fails to light even with cheap butane

This one is carried in a dusty pocket while I work around the yard and has been dropped on concrete and still works fine no problems at all

Hammer8":oc9njmrc said:
Probably great for cigars, not so good for pipes.
That's exactly how this lighter is. It was delivered yesterday, and I got chance to play around with it today. A well built and heavy lighter, about the same width as a standard Zippo, but slightly thicker (maybe 1/8 of an inch) and about 1/2" taller. The size makes me think it would be almost too bulky to carry in a pocket.

I never actually tried using it to light a pipe after reading the link posted by EJinVA --thanks for the info. The non-adjustable flame doesn't seem like a drawback. It really is about where I would have it set at, however the flame usually goes out when the lighter is tipped on any angle even close to what is needed for lighting a pipe without definitely scorching the rim.

So tried, tested, and failed. Guess I'll be sticking with Old Reliable :)