Zippo pipe inserts

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
My new zippo insert works great and I love this company, they do customer service right.

I noticed on my new insert that it has a 'cap' over the top that I don't remember the older pipe inserts having. Anybody know what they are for? It doesn't bother me but it would if I also smoked cigars or even cigarettes for that matter.

The cap helps keep the flame going down the sides through the holes, and not out of the top and burn your pipe!! I have used Zippo pipe lighters for many years; the only way to go. Butane is hot and can char your pipe; a cigar torch lighter can turn your pipe into a charred mess in a few seconds. Zippo fluid burns relatively cool and will not char your pipe. The new fluid Zippo introduced a few years ago eliminated most of the chemical odor, and is excellent.

I've sent some back with loose hinges and they've fixed or replaced the hinges and replaced the regular insert with a pipe insert... no questions asked.

Now THAT'S customer service.

Not a fan of the naphtha flavor, but in the wind right now, I'm sure wishin' I had one. 8)

NeroWolfe":bspshnvp said:
The new fluid Zippo introduced a few years ago eliminated most of the chemical odor, and is excellent.
In that case, I think I should retry the Zippo!

DrT999":iaq4stfy said:
NeroWolfe":iaq4stfy said:
The new fluid Zippo introduced a few years ago eliminated most of the chemical odor, and is excellent.
I'm still sensitive to it, apparently. :( Which is unfortunate.

I like the cap and wish they would seal one side, like the Vector insert. That would really direct the flame down into the bowl chamber.

DrT999":29jlkrlv said:
NeroWolfe":29jlkrlv said:
The local Tinderbox had 1 Zippo pipe lighter! ('had' being the correct tense; I'll try 'er out tomorrow!)

When I first started smoking a pipe a older gentalman told me not to use zippo because of the oder. I didnt know they had upgraded their fuel so it didnt stink.

plumbernater":xz890xmk said:
When I first started smoking a pipe a older gentalman told me not to use zippo because of the oder. I didnt know they had upgraded their fuel so it didnt stink.
There was just a hint, the barest fraction, of the old lighter fluid taste (back in the '80s, a zippo was my main cigar lighter, so I know it well). I like it much better than a disposable lighter. Thank you, Mr Wolfe! (only his childhood friend and one torch singer could call him 'Nero')

DrT999: You are quite welcome, Sir; quite welcome!!! Enjoy !!!! Regards.......Nero Wolfe

I have not been able to detect much of any odor or taste in the fluid. On occasion I have gotten a wiff but if doesn't linger after the initial light.

There is also a product called the Tunderbird pipe lighter insert, it is a perfect fit inside the Zippo lighter shell but runs on butane, no more leakiness, stinkiness, and a lot less filling, I have one on the way (ebay $14 shipped) I will post it's performance when tested. UPDATE: it works pretty good but is less wind resistant than the original Zippo pipe insert.

Briar Boy":dvoqkyrc said:
There is also a product called the Tunderbird pipe lighter insert, it is a perfect fit inside the Zippo lighter shell but runs on butane, no more leakiness, stinkiness, and a lot less filling, I have one on the way (ebay $14 shipped) I will post it's performance when tested. UPDATE: it works pretty good but is less wind resistant than the original Zippo pipe insert.
Mine crapped out on me. Never really worked perfectly, but at the end she stopped working altogether.

At that time I sent my original Zippo back to be fitted with a pipe insert. Now I'm in love. This thing is absolutely perfect. I still have an old can of the original zippo forumla I actually like the smell, but shied away from it because its supposed to taint the tobacco. This new stuff gives just enough of a whiff to transport me back to the time when I was 13-14 years old sneaking Newports to prove that I was cool. But it doesn't effect the tobacco at all.