Zippo pipe lighter issue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few days ago I was striking my Zippo with the pipe insert and the top piece of the chimney flew off. That's the little channel shaped part that presses into the top of the chimney.

It's happened before, but this time I cannot find it! Seems like my La-Z-Boy recliner ate it, despite repeated attempts to feel through the cushions and such. Pretty much turned the recliner inside out but it seems to have vanished!

:!:

Despite this, the lighter still works fine without it. Haven't had any problems with lighting, flame size, or such. I'm also aware that the standard insert doesn't have this feature.

While I could send the insert back to Zippo for a replacement (or even try and order the part) it seems to work OK.

Any others have this issue?

Cheers,

RR

If it still works, why bother? Wait till it stops working and send it to Zippo for a free replacement.

I've got an old Zippo I used in 'Nam before I got my Dunhill and I at times used Av Fuel in it which burned REAL HOT and has burned out the chimney. Only reason I've not sent it to Zippo is it's the only thing I kept from then and I don't use it nor want to. But If i sent it to Zippo I know they'd fix me right up :p

Yeah, I noticed mine had that little addition (I thought it was part of the one-piece construction of the insert) and it flew right off. A bitch to get back in there, too. With it removed and lit, it may compromise the wind-proofiness by about 18%--but no more than 19%. :p

I bet if you contacted Zippo they'd just send you one. Otherwise, now you have three options for lighting direction! :D

8)

Rob_In_MO":qr0c3rc9 said:
monbla256":qr0c3rc9 said:
If it still works, why bother? Wait till it stops working and send it to Zippo for a free replacement.
Yeah - but that could be 30-40 years from now...
So? I hope he's planning to be around and still able to use it then :p

I've never had one come off accidentally before, but now that I know it's possible, it'll probably happen the very next time I use one. Luckily they work just find without 'em.

monbla256":9v6g66s4 said:
Rob_In_MO":9v6g66s4 said:
monbla256":9v6g66s4 said:
Yeah - but that could be 30-40 years from now...
So? I hope he's planning to be around and still able to use it then :p
Yesiree Bob. I hope to as well.

But that will also place me at 88-98 yrs old! There again my late Pap made it into his 80s as did a few of my Uncles. So if I have the right genes I might have the same chance!

:cyclops:

And while the loss of that little part still ticks me off, the lighter works just fine. Got a feeling it'll show up one of these days when I'm least expecting it.

Cheers,

RR

George Kaplan":2c7o6h62 said:
I've never had one come off accidentally before, but now that I know it's possible, it'll probably happen the very next time I use one. Luckily they work just find without 'em.
I didn't either until just recently. And then it started happening more frequently. My theory is the tension of the place where the bend fits into the chimney got a little out of spec due to the heat and it started to loosen up a bit. Which then resulted in the slightest nudge while lighting to flip off.

Cheers,

RR

About a year ago I e-mailed zippos customer service that I had lost a a couple of of those tops and how much would it cost me to replace them. I was e-mailed back the next day that they were mailing five new one's at no cost, got them in about a week.

Saint":z4s29wc3 said:
About a year ago I e-mailed zippos customer service that I had lost a a couple of of those tops and how much would it cost me to replace them. I was e-mailed back the next day that they were mailing five new one's at no cost, got them in about a week.
Well, boy howdy.........

Ya sure ya betcha I'm going to do the exact same thing.

Thanks for the tip Saint. Dunno why I never thought of this, but there ya go.....

:bom:

Cheers,

RR