Zippo Pipe Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clueless

Reaction score
I was wearing sores on my thumbs trying to get my Zippo - fluid not gas - lighter to light. Checked fluid, wick, flint and just couldn't figure out a consistent procedure or formula to get it to light reliably. I then removed the Pipe lighting attachment that sits over the 'chimney'. Now it lights everytime like I expect of a Zippo.

It worked fine at first. This problem just developed recently. It seems that it just wasn't getting enough air since there was spark, wick, and fluid and all I did was increase the air available.

Has anybody had this problem? Any fixes besides removing the pipe lighting attachment?

Just blow across the wick prior to lighting it. A "gas lock" forms in the hood from the fuel fumes. Blowing across the wick gets rid of it & introduces oxygen so that the spark can ignite the wick.

Thanks Mike for the instructions on "properly" lighting a Zippo. I've had the same problem and never thought to blow some air on the wick. I've been puzzled as to why the inside of the lid lights but not the wick. Now I'm educated.

Muddler has a point about the gas lock. I personally find it useful to take a Q-tip dabbed in lighter fluid to the area where the wick comes up. Flint tends to build up there and makes the lock worse.

How often is Q tip service necessary in your experience?

LIPIPE, I think it's related to how often you use the lighter and what kind of flints you use. Some flints are dirtier than others...
I generally clean my own lighter about once a month or when I experience vapor lock.

Here's my routine:

1. Remove the lighter from the case
2. Dribble a small amount of lighter fluid onto a Q-tip or folded over pipe cleaner, then some on the wick (enough to saturate.)
3.Push the wick to the side and scrub the floor plate of the lighter with the Q-tip/cleaner, esp. around the base of the wick.
4. Take a small screwdriver or knife blade and push the wick back into place.
5. Reassemble and let the lighter sit for a few minutes with the lid open, this way the excess fluid dissipates and does not give off a ball of fire when you light it.
6. Light it.

Thanks for your reply. I use zippo flints and I smoke about four to five bowls a day so I'm hitting the wheel frequently. I'll try your maintenance routine and l hope for smoother results. I've never changed a wick yet. When the insert poops out I send it back to Zippo for a free replacement. I have two Zippo's so I never out of lights.

Cleaning a Zippo? We can do that? :lol: :lol: :lol: I swear I never heard of doing that before. Well, cleaning the flint wheel, but not the rest of it. I have one of those brass armor Zippos and it's got a layer of tar and whatever else on the tobacco side of the wick area. Sometimes the lid closes a little rough because of the buildup. Looks just like the stuff on top of quite a few of my favorite pipes. Suppose I could lick it and try rubbing it off with a cloth.

"Zippos, they take a lickin' and keep on clickin'." :sunny:

Sometimes I have a problem lighting my pipe Zippo, and I take some needle nose pliers and pull the wick out a bit, trim off the old top of the wick, and it works fine. I have never had to take the top of the pipe lighter chimnney off.

Carlos":p056ndsu said:
Cleaning a Zippo? We can do that? :lol: :lol: :lol: I swear I never heard of doing that before. Well, cleaning the flint wheel, but not the rest of it. I have one of those brass armor Zippos and it's got a layer of tar and whatever else on the tobacco side of the wick area. Sometimes the lid closes a little rough because of the buildup. Looks just like the stuff on top of quite a few of my favorite pipes. Suppose I could lick it and try rubbing it off with a cloth.

"Zippos, they take a lickin' and keep on clickin'." :sunny:
I consider it cake for my lighter! :D

Mine doesn't get a thorough cleaning, but a pipe cleaner to the area does work wonders for a good strike. I hear ya on the 'zippo thumb' problem though...

I love my Zippos (w/pipe inserts)! They don't have a problem if you send 'em back to the factory just because the flint or wick needs replacement? Cool. I guess that technically falls under the "it don't work anymore" category, huh? :)