Zippo pipe lighter...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishMonk

Reaction score
I was pretty happy to pick up a Zippo pipe lighter... great company. However, I used it for the first time today and found myself reaching for the matches ! Fairly difficult to puff hard enough to get the flame to reach down into the bowl. Maybe I need to tweek it or something...

I find it difficult to use without burning the rim of my pipe, so I tend to only use it when I am outside in windy conditions. I don't mind a little blackening on my cobs, but I won't use it while smoking one of my Moretti's. lol

IrishMonk":ztq1ge02 said:
I was pretty happy to pick up a Zippo pipe lighter... great company. However, I used it for the first time today and found myself reaching for the matches ! Fairly difficult to puff hard enough to get the flame to reach down into the bowl. Maybe I need to tweek it or something...
Sadly, that's one of the few problems with that particular Zippo. Getting that last bit re-lit in a deep bowled pipe can be some work. Thats where the angled flame of the "old boy" style of butane lighters shine. Sort of the nature of the beast :p The old Nimrod "Sportsman" pipe lighter, the tubular style that you pulled open to get a spark really was the best but they are not made anymore !

monbla256":eapxx3pb said:
IrishMonk":eapxx3pb said:
Sadly, that's one of the few problems with that particular Zippo. Getting that last bit re-lit in a deep bowled pipe can be some work. Thats where the angled flame of the "old boy" style of butane lighters shine. Sort of the nature of the beast :p The old Nimrod "Sportsman" pipe lighter, the tubular style that you pulled open to get a spark really was the best but they are not made anymore !
Those can still be picked up off ebay. I have one in my lighter collection. A very neat and unique design!

The "mini Bic" is my cheap solution to getting to the bottom of a bowl. Since it's also good at lighting the top as it turns out, I often have one handy--when my Fujima and IMCO just won't do.

I like my pipe Zippo. A few of my deeper bowls it can be a little ineffective, though.

As for Zippos, my personal preference is the slimline Zippo lighter and tilt the pipe to one side in order to light. It has a smaller and easier to control flame.

Jim

My pipe lighter was a regular Zippo that I milled 3/8" holes into the windscreen. Don't know if the holes are bigger than a real Zippo pipe lighter has but I don't have any problems. One thing I noticed is if the wick is really short it'll give ya problems, especially with deep bowls. I pulled my wick out to about 3/16"-1/4". I let it burn for about 7-8 seconds and then commence pipe ignition. :)

Have you tried putting in the butane pipe lighter insert made for zippos?

kaiser83":foittdeb said:
Have you tried putting in the butane pipe lighter insert made for zippos?
No, but my buddy has the regular insert for his Zippo which is the same thing. I was playing around with my Zippo last night and came to the conclusion that there isn't really a more reliable portable option at this time, barring matches. The closest would be the Old Boy or Magie. I cut up a bicycle tube and slid a piece over my Zippo. It should help with halting evaporation. We shall see.

I've been really happy with the now-defunct IMCO brand of pipe lighters. The G77R for butane, and the TriPlex or Junior (almost identical) as a "Zippo alternative." One of my biggest problems was being in Nevada heat and dryness and having Zippos go dry on me in a matter of a day. The TriPlex/Junior lasts four or five. And they're neat looking. And cheap.

DSCN3788.JPG

8)

Actually, the Imcos are pretty sweet. I've got that same one myself as well but I think the Zippo lasts longer. As I said, I'm going to give my ghetto-gasket a shot on my Zippo. If it keeps the fuel around longer I'll be happy. :bounce:

Zippo pipe lighters take a few smokes to master but even I in my newbness can light my pipe with my Zippo quickly without burning my bowl rim.

IMO you don't need the flame to be in the pipe, just the heat from the flame. Pull/draw air through the pipe a little bit more briskly then you would with a match. Make sure the Zippo is held flat (horizontal) when lighting your pipe. Make sure the Zippo lid is all the way open (seems like a small thing but the lid can mess with the air flow making your flame go out). Break in your Zippo before you give up on it (a slightly chard wick seems to hold flame better). Do not overfill your Zippo (the fiber batting should look moist but not drowning in fluid). When not in a pocket set it upright (storing it on its side will make the lighter fluid seep into the cap giving off a lighter fluid taste when you light your pipe). Lastly, not everyone is a Zippo guy just like not everyone is a match guy. If you find that after all the trying you can muster you still like matches better then light your bowl with a match. After all isn’t smoking a pipe supposed to be relaxing just the way you like to relax? If that includes matches to get the perfect relaxing smoke for you then ditch the Zippo. As for me; my perfect smoke wouldn’t be possible without my handy Zippo Pipe Lighter! :D

Just my 2 3/4 cents worth

Dan

I have always found the Zippo to be the easiest of all lighting methods. I'm really surprised to hear folks have trouble scorching rims. That seems, to me at least, to be the Zippo's biggest strength. The flame goes straight up and down, so it should never touch the rim. At least, that's been my experience. If the Zippo has a down side, IMHO, it would be the fluid. It requires refilling much more than any butane lighter (at least any that I have every used), and it does have a very faint odor to it. I don't notice it anymore, but my wife hates it and always manages to pick up on it.

TonyS":3riqim8v said:
Actually, the Imcos are pretty sweet. I've got that same one myself as well but I think the Zippo lasts longer. As I said, I'm going to give my ghetto-gasket a shot on my Zippo. If it keeps the fuel around longer I'll be happy. :bounce:
You must use your lighter a lot, and run the fuel itself out due to sparking up the works rather than it merely "drying out" as are my problems. The IMCO has outperformed the Zippo in almost every way for me, personally, except I miss that "ting" the Zippo so gratifyingly gives when it is opened. I particularly like the fact you can separate the wick/cylinder alight to get down into a deep-chambered pipe.

8)

Kyle Weiss":rcle60hc said:
You must use your lighter a lot, and run the fuel itself out due to sparking up the works rather than it merely "drying out" as are my problems.
Not at all. I find I Zippobate more with the Zippo and very very little with the Imco. :) Pro'lly because of that satisfying "ting" you speak of when closing a Zippo.

Kyle Weiss":rcle60hc said:
The IMCO has outperformed the Zippo in almost every way for me, personally, except I miss that "ting" the Zippo so gratifyingly gives when it is opened. I particularly like the fact you can separate the wick/cylinder alight to get down into a deep-chambered pipe.
I don't have any problems yet with lighting any of my pipes but I haven't got the Stanwell yet. That should be my deepest pipe yet so we'll see how the Zippo does then.

Don't get me wrong: I'm "pro-Zippo." I had a $5 plain-jane matte finish chrome Zippo in my pocket for about ten years in my youth. I wish I still had it. I did, however, incidentally, find an identical one for $5 in perfect condition at a junk store recently to replace it.

There's just something about those IMCOs that does it for me. Change is good, but the performance for me spoke volumes. I can look forward to looking back on this IMCO as I do the Zippo today, years from now. Hopefully I'll have the ability to hang onto just one Junior/TriPlex to say, "I started smoking a pipe for real with this lighter." It'll hang out proudly next to my Zippo.

8)

What the hell. I'll refill the Imco and give'er a shot. I agree..it's good to change up things once in a while. Maybe with the new Zippo fluid it may make a difference somehow. I doubt it but I'm still up for the try.