Zippo problem with one pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
So, last year I got a Peterson Straight Donegal Zippo box set. The Zippo has the pipe insert. Now, I don't recall this at first being a problem, and maybe I don't remember correctly, but lately I've noted that I cannot draw flame into the pipe, to even start the pipe, with the Zippo. All my other pipes have no such issues while using the Zippo. Only the pipe that came with the Zippo has the issue. :?: Now I can use a normal lighter on said pipe like a charm. And there isn't any blockage. So what's up?

My zippo pipe insert didn't want to draw into my Boswell plateau top with a pretty deep bowl. So, I sold that pipe...<g>

I'm not sure why sometimes that insert just doesn't want to pull the flame down. I use a Vector butane insert most of the time, and never have that kind of issue. For outside, windy days, the Zippo is the only thing I can keep lit. So that has become it's purpose.

I've had this problem when I've packed too lightly. I also experience less "pull" on the flame in broad diameter bowls.

Muddler":2piuvvbu said:
I've had this problem when I've packed too lightly. I also experience less "pull" on the flame in broad diameter bowls.
Great point, which explains the issue is compounded on pipes with a wide open draw (Boswell, Castello), packing is the key. (isn't it always?)

riff raff":e8jg5vms said:
Muddler":e8jg5vms said:
Great point, which explains the issue is compounded on pipes with a wide open draw (Boswell, Castello), packing is the key. (isn't it always?)
Usually is. 8)

...also, I'm willing to give a Zippo with the new, fancy "no taste, no stink" juice a try, with a pipe insert. One thing I considered recently after a guy let me try his, is that he very recently switched to the newer fluid and there was still some older fluid in his well-used Zippo...I thought it was just me being sensitive to the new fluid as well...

Basically, I'm sick of the wind. :lol:

Thanks everyone. It could be the packing. That Pete seems really sensitive to packing...more than my other pipes.

Not sure exactly, but check the wick on the Zippo, sometimes they need to be trimmed/replaced.

I use matches and Bics at home, but a regular Zippo while driving or outdoors. I don't see the point of the pipe Zippo, with the dorky cut-out. There is a technique to lighting a pipe with a Zippo without charring up everything, but I have never had a problem with the draw not pulling in the flame. What I have had a problem with are pot type abortions, where the bowl is wider than the height, or close to it. Hard to light, hard to keep lit, and if it stays lit at all, burns hot with very little smoke.

Richard, so reading between the lines, you feel that the pipe-adapted inserts are gimmicky and not helpful?

I'm planning on picking up a Zippo at some point, the inserts are a new thing I'm not married to one way or the other. Truth to tell, I'd love to fire up my old one if I can find it, and that one happens to be paid for in full.

Kyle, I have never owned or used the pipe Zippo, so don't know what I'm talking about. It's just that the regular Zippo works so well that I don't see the need, nor do I understand how having a cutout would work any differently from one without. I keep one on my shift console, and it works better than anything else in a car or outdoors. The flame is big and broad, etc. I prefer the Armor Chrome, which is 50% heavier than the regular Zippo, but that's neither here nor there. I once thought using a Zippo would be objectionable because of the fumes, but in practice the scent is negligible.

Personally, standard naphtha I do object to. I tried it and perhaps I'm sensitive to it. I'd like to get a new Zippo lighter and try the new formula to see how it goes. As I mentioned, the wind is frustrating. Somehow I don't think it's just me. :lol:

The only design advantage I can imagine with the pipe cutout is that the flame is being drawn directly off of the wick, rather than making a 90° or so turn off the tip of the wick, then down into the pipe. Maybe it acts more as a funnel to reduce the flame's interaction with the wind and/or the edge of the pipe? Either way, I'm sure that the non-use of the pipe-specific insert would make any regular user of pipe and Zippo pretty adept at getting the same results.

Whether or not to specifically request this feature, in my case, is up in the air. I suppose I'll get great results either way--anything beats an upturned gas station Bic lighter to that end. :) Which isn't my case, I have a much more "upscale" cheap, refillable Chinese-made "pipe lighter" that shoots the butane flame sideways. It's terrible in the wind.

Yeah, you have to be adept enough to tilt both pipe and lighter at the same time, then draw the flame in. It's done so quickly that the flame doesn't get a chance to scorch the rim. I do more damage with matches than I ever have with a lighter. Hey, want a laugh? I once hit a deer while lighting a pipe. The car was a Rolls-Royce trade-in belonging to a dealer I worked for. Yuk, yuk!

That's a hell of a tale, Richard. :)

I don't really like matches. I have some for emergencies, though.

I agree the pipe insert is kinda pointless. I guess it kind of helps but just tilt the Zippo and you kinda have the same thing. I don't think it matters either way.

riff raff":ic527wkf said:
My zippo pipe insert didn't want to draw into my Boswell plateau top with a pretty deep bowl. So, I sold that pipe...<g>

I'm not sure why sometimes that insert just doesn't want to pull the flame down. I use a Vector butane insert most of the time, and never have that kind of issue. For outside, windy days, the Zippo is the only thing I can keep lit. So that has become it's purpose.
I'm with you Al, I use matches and butane at the house but outside when it,s breezy got to use the Zippo.

I have several of each Zippo inserts. For me, the pipe insert is a more focused flame and I can actually work it around the bowl, without damaging the bowl top. On a standard Zippo, the flame is pretty broad. For me, the pipe insert seems to be less damaging to my bowl tops. (Vector Thunderbird butane inserts are even more pinpoint)

I have never had that problem with mine. Maybe rest the lighter on top the bowl, sounds dangerous but doesnt damage the pipe, and suck a little harder than usual until its lit.
When its not windy usually use my Colibri pipe lighter, but when it is i grab my zippo.
I actually got a zippo pipe lighter very shortly after starting to smoke because i never could keep a pipe lit and was burning through tons of matches.
I like my Colibri, but its beginning to be a little weird at times so ive been using my zippo more often. Theres something about the flick...ping....scratch that is so awesome, also, itll take hurricane strength winds to blow it out.

Inside I always start with matches and if I don't have to relight too often I'll keep with them. If I have to relight several times, I'll switch to the lighter.