Zippo Tip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianr

Reaction score
I appreciate that some frown on using a lighter to light a pipe but, for those like myself who like a trusty Zippo, here is something to prolong time between refuelling.

I've always been frustrated by the way Zippos seem to allow fuel to evaporate when not in use and I've heard of people using Vaseline (or other similar grease) to act as a seal. While I've never tried this approach, I've doubted how effective it would be.

My solution is, after filling,  to wrap a short length of PTFE tape (as used in plumbing, at least in the UK) around the base of the insert. One wrap, with about 1cm overlap. It is positioned to that the tape is half on the insert and the other half folds over the cotton packing. Then carefully assemble the lighter, ensuring the tape is 'tucked in'.

For me, I estimate the time between refills is more than doubled.

The tape is replaced each time.

I keep a few precut lengths of tape by my can of fuel.

I would be curious if others find this useful.

Brian.

That's a good idea, I'll have to try it. i have a few Zippo lighters I never use, mainly because I fill em and two days later the fuel has evaporated.

Excellent idea! I've been using a 1 1/2 inch section of inner tube from a bike to cover the joint where the lid meets the body with similar results but its not exactly pretty.

Jim

Having to refuel my Zippo every other day is a pet peeve of mine. I'm certinly going to give this a try. Thanks for the tip. :D 

AJ

I, too, have some Zippo lighters in a drawer I hardly ever use. I'll have to give this plummers tape thing a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

like to see a photo of taped section of lighter to understand better the part taped.
thinking of buying a pipe zippo didnt know of leak issue

thanks

I've been carrying a Zippo since the 60's and never really noticed it drying out quickly
like it seems to do nowadays. Could it be they've done something to the fluid or the design in the lighter? After inspection I find there doesn't seem to be as much wadding in it as I remember and nowadays it seems when I fill it, it leaks like a sieve. That's something else I don't recall happening with the older ones. I'm gona try and do a little research and take a good look at my older ones in comparison to the newer ones.

SMOKERSPICKUP":rx0lfsuq said:
like to see a photo of taped section of lighter to understand better the part taped.
thinking of buying a pipe zippo didnt know of leak issue

thanks
zippo.JPG

I have been pondering What plumber's tape was. The idea of adhesive and lighter fluid did not seem a good idea. DUH! We call it Teflon tape in the states.

Thanks I will have to try this.

:D

Cartaphilus":64w8cjfo said:
I've been carrying a Zippo since the 60's and never really noticed it drying out quickly
like it seems to do nowadays. Could it be they've done something to the fluid or the design in the lighter? After inspection I find there doesn't seem to be as much wadding in it as I remember and nowadays it seems when I fill it, it leaks like a sieve. That's something else I don't recall happening with the older ones. I'm gona try and do a little research and take a good look at my older ones in comparison to the newer ones.
The wicks used today are different and allow for some excessive evaporation (I think).
The old wicks were more or less woven/twisted solidly and encased in a cotton sheath while today's
wicks are threads twisted around a wire.

Some of my Zippos slide into the cases tightly and some loosely and it doesn't make much difference.

My pipe Zippo goes dry quickly no matter what I do to it so it usually lies in a drawer while I use my
Nimrod Commander. After filling, the Zippo is good for two or three days while the Commander is good for a week.
The Commander still has a tightly fitting, old fashioned wick with the cotton sheath but has always been a better lighter.

On Nov. 15 I decided to try this and its still holding fluid and lighting today. I've used the zippo about 10 or 15 times and it is still lighting. Usually I need to refill it every two weeks no matter how much I use it.

That's a heck of a good idea...I may have to try that out. Like the rest, I like the reliability and ease of use of the Zippo, but get quickly frustrated with the constant refilling, to the point that I've pretty much stopped using 'em.