10 Random Facts About Me *Please Join In*

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beaupipe i couldn't agree more on the songwriters! Congratulations on retaining a sensible Canadian outlook on things as well. :cheers:

Slow Puffs":ki6kbanw said:
Ricky Skaggs is the modern day master, for sure. I love many of his songs and tunes. I am pretty old school, though and fancy the songs of old from Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Reno and Smiley, Jimmy Martin and the Osborne brothers, among others. A lot of the modern bluegrass is losing that sound quickly. That's a bummer.

Great idea and here goes:

1. I was born in La Jolla CA. but raised in Santa Barbara. I have also called home Lake Tahoe, Palm Springs, Santa Fe, Steamboat Springs & Las Vegas.

2. I won a award for being the youngest (12) FCC licensed radio operator back in 1977. Hence a outcast & nerd from a young age.

3. Just missed qualifying for Mensa when I was 18 & lost interest in it after that.

4. Wanted to join & serve in the military but couldn't due to leathal allergies & other conditions. Instead I worked in the defense industry as a milli-meter wave technology technician building toys for our troops.

5. I don't watch sports unless I'm getting paid for it. After my work in defense most of my career has been in broadcasting (I'm a bastard engineer = no degree). I use to travel the west handling some of the satellite communications for NBA, NFL, NHL, Track & Field.

6. I went to a christian school, worked (Satellite Broadcasting) for most of the worlds organized religions from the Pope to Louis Farrakhan. The only two I respected after seeing there organizations from behind the scenes were Billy Graham & the Buddhists. This and life in general has helped me become a non believer while still remaining spiritual.

7. Somehow I missed my prescheduled departure date of 10 Aug. 1994. The date I was in a auto accident that left me under a doctors care for over 3 years. The driver that hit me was most likely drunk and a off duty sheriff. I sustained 18 injuries including amnesia that I never recovered from.

8. I'm a Lifetime Member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition - Some of my passions are 4 Wheeling, Camping, Gun Rights, Photography and Landuse/Access Rights. I even started blogging earlier this year. http://briancrichardson.blogspot.com/

9. Last January I celebrated three great years on DNR status and love beating the odds on my terminal illness's.

10. My favorite surroundings to enjoy a pipe is in the backcountry & around a campfire with friends.

Not sure if I have 10 facts that you guys dont know already, but I'll give it a shot. In no particular order:

1. I graduated Suma Cum Laude with my bachelors. Dad didn't show up to watch me give a speech. 4.0 with my Master's

2. I too love animals, have 3 dogs, a parrot, 2 fish tanks, and a turtle.

3. Grew up in a colonia in the neighborhood where the leader of the Gulf Cartel lives/lived. Mom didn't want me. Was raised by my 80 year old grandfather until he died when I was 15 in which case I moved back in with my mom and dad. I learned to cook really young and was driving by 12.

4. Have relatively no family, been on my own for so long I don't really understand family ties nor relationships.

5. I wear fedora and Western style hats.

6. I have had paranormal experiences and believe I am more sensitive to stuff than others.

7. I've been a hard core weight lifter for a good 5 years though I loved working out as a youngster, just never could afford/find the time.

8. I don't smile, so people assume I'm a jerk or mean. Shrug, maybe I am...

9. A great number of ex girlfriends have met their husbands after dumping me. 50 % call me when they get divorced to tell me that it should of been me, including one that contacting me about the time I found out I was having a child.

10. I am a disc golfer.

1. I was born and raised on a ranch/farm 10 miles from where I live now.

2. My nearest neighbor lives a mile away.

3. I wouldn't live in a town the size of Dallas if you gave me the whole town.

4. I have been married to my first and only wife for 48 years.

5. I watch TV an average of 30 minutes per month.

6. I mess with this computer lots more than that.

7. I'm not into pipe collecting, nor how they look. How they smoke is the only important thing to me.

8. I have CLL. (chronic lymphocitic leukemia) but it doesn't bother me.

9. I like to cook stuff outside. Chuckwagon cooking, dutch ovens, BBQ, etc.

10. I am bothered by the possibility that tobacco will not be available by mail. I live 150 miles from the nearest tobacco shop.

Stan41

1. Was brought home from the hospital and raised by my grandparents.
2. My mom was in and out of my life through my childhood.We established a decent relationship in my teenage years, witch was cut short. When I was 18 she was killed in a car accident about 2 miles from home.
3. Didn't know my father until I was about 13 yrs old. He also was in and out of my life. Still to this day I have never called him dad, I call him by his name. We don't have to good of a relationship.
4. In my late teens early twenties I got mixed up with the wrong people doing the wrong things, my father being one of those people.This lasted for a few years. Found myself in alot of trouble looking at a lengthy prison sentence. I trusted in the Lord to get me through it and he did , no prison ,instead 4 yrs supervised probation.
5. Turned my life around, for the last 5 yrs been walking the right path.January 11,2010 5yrs clean.
6. I work all I can. My wife has been out of work for 3yrs now. It's so bad financially right now that we are unable to live together. She lives with her grandmother and I had to move back in at my grandparents. Things are looking up I'm paying off bills 1 by 1.
7. I love my wife. We have been together 9 yrs. She's my best friend, my rock. She was there when no one else was.
8. I have a beautiful 10 yr old daughter that means everything to me. She has changed my life in so many ways it's wonderful.
9. I smoked cigs for about 15 yrs before switching to cigars and then for some reason picked up a pipe. Man I wish I'd found a pipe 15 yrs ago. I fell in love with the pipe and everything associated with it.
10. I want to try my hand at pipe making. I've been told that I'm a creative person and that I have talented hands. So I'm desperately trying to get things straightened out so I can pursue my dream.

1. I was born in Chicago. Lived in the Chicagoland for 35 yrs. Been here in Mesa for 2. We love the change of scenery and the little things- like discovering peanut butter can liquefy in the less than 3 mile trip from the grocery store during the summer.

2. I am usually shy and quiet at first, but warm up fast. -The wife and daughter just told me "once you get warmed up, you never shut up."

3. I dont watch tv. We have 3 in the house, but we never watch them. When I called the cable company to have it cancelled, the operator asked if I was serious- and I said "Yes, please cancel the cable and leave the internet on", next she asked me, "how on earth do you live?"

4. I love to read/ learn. -answer to the above-.

5. I just earned my Bachelors Degree.

6. I have a perfect driving record, not a speeding ticket or an accident. - Seriously, I normally set the cruise control no more than 5 above the posted limit.

7. All my briars are Peterson.

8. I like Mac Baren tobaccos.

9. I plan on pursuing a Masters Degree.

10. I am a proud parent.

1. I've smoked pipes since I was 18.

2. Until recently I smoked only house blends available from my local tobacconist save for a tin of Dunhill here and there. Ordering and discovering new tobaccos online has increased my enjoyment and expense exponentially. :D

3. I collect authentically reproduced medieval weaponry, knives, and antiques. Maces, axes, and flails are prominently displayed on the living room walls much to the chagrin of my girlfriend.

4. I have enjoyed video games, especially RPG's, since the days when they were text based only.

5. I like to hike mountains in the Adirondacks and will complete all 46 high peaks some day.

6. I brew my own mead which is way more powerful than what you can buy in the stores. :twisted:

7. I own and enjoy shooting guns. I also hunt and fish throughout the year.

8. I have been a craft beer snob since before I was legally old enough to drink it. ;)

9. I have a Master's in Information Management from Syracuse University and work there as a financial systems analyst.

10.I love smoking all manner of tasty meats in my Weber smoker. :pig:

This is a great thread, very interesting.

1. I've lost my pipe and tobacco collection twice, once in a move and once in a fire.
2. I was a C student in high school and a B student in college, but still earned a PhD from the top school in the country in my field.
3. I teach at a university because it is as close as I can get to being in school forever.
4. I've never owned a new car and probably never will.
5. When one of my students asked me if I would help him build a nuclear fusion reactor I interupted him in mid-sentence to say yes.
6. My wife and I are almost complete opposites in almost every way except two -- we're both frugal and agnostic.
7. I once served squirrel pate to dinner guests without telling them what it was.
8. My daughter started to pout about 10 seconds after she was born and I've been wrapped around her finger ever since.
9. I've worked at five different national laboratories, including one in Hungary.
10. A recent personality/aptitude test told me that I should consider being either a dictator or a fighter pilot. I'm colorblind, so fighter pilot is out . . .

1- I'm originally from Dothan, Alabama. My family moved to Georgia in 71' after my Grandpa passed and pretty much been here since.

2- I was a fat boy with a bad attitude in my teen years. I did some stupid stuff in those days-drag racing, smoking pot, fighting, etc

3- At 17, I met my high school sweetheart and she changed my life. We got married 4 years later and this gal made an honest man out of me. We have 2 sons and 4 grand children

4- I didn't go to College and don't regret it. I chose to learn a few trades and earn money doing things I enjoy. I do regret not joining the Military. Most of the men in my family served in the Military and a few of them ran moonshine. I come from Confederate stock and I'm proud of it.

5- I like things of old- History, Vintage Motorcycles, hot rods, Antique Machinery and Antique Firearms just to name a few

6- I listen to Classic Country, Classic Rock, 1940's Big Band, Doo-Wop and some Jazz

7- Don't watch much TV, but I'm a Classic movie buff. I have an old 8mm Bell & Howell projector (I don't like to watch classics on a DVD)

8- I'm a very private person, I have a small circle of friends that I've known most of my life, I enjoy Traveling, Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Biker Rally's. The hard part is finding the time to do these things.

9- I love country living. The city life is not for me (I lived and worked in Atlanta in the 80's and hated it)

10- Last but not least I enjoy smoking pipes and drinking alcohol, in moderation of course

:santa: :santa: :rendeer: :rendeer:

10. Grew up a military brat...so im not from anywhere
9. Did 8 years in the Marine Corps and am now in Iraq as civilian
8. I am a Heavy Truck mechanic
7. I love cars and motorcycles...the faster the better
6. I like Heavy Metal Music....
5. Im 37 years old...and bald
4. Fishing is one of my favorite things to do...(yes I do slow down sometimes)
3. I am new to the pipe...Im so glad that I tried this hobbie....I love it
2. Im 6 ft tall 240lbs
1. I am engaged to a great women who I will be married to in about a year...(as soon as im done in Iraq.

Rick is my name

1. I started smoking cigarettes when I was 13, and switched to pipes in my 30’s. I love pipes and pipe smoking, but find more enjoyment in a bowl of Carter Hall in a Kaywoodie than I would with some fancy tinned tobacco in a $500 hand made pipe.

2. Growing up, my dad was a railroad man, mom was a home maker, and I had a younger brother. My brother died when he was 26; dad died at 60. I look after my mom these days.

3. My dad’s generation was the first of our family to have any higher education or a job outside of farming. I lived on my grandparents farm back in the hills for several years after they passed (even though I never farmed for a living).

4. Today is actually my 38th birthday.

5. My degree is in communications electronics, but I make my living as a bookkeeper. I used to own a TV and appliance store (back in the days when people had their TV sets repaired). I still enjoy repairing and collecting vintage radios.

6. I used to own half interest in a motel (the best investment I ever made).

7. I am a very active Episcopalian. I helped begin a new parish, which is now the fastest growing church in the Diocese. Our building used to be a Methodist Church (where three generations of my family went). I have been an organist since I was 18.

8. I am a long-time member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, and am a former president of the East TN region. I love antique cars, and have owned more than I can count (or remember). I am down to only one antique car in my garage right now (that’s subject to change if anybody has a good price on a Model A Ford)

9. I have always dabbled in buying and selling cars (mostly antique). The best paying (and most fun) job I ever had was running a used car lot for a guy who was in his seventies and had spent his whole life in the car business.

10. Those who know me usually tell me I’m an “old soul”. I always thought I should have been born at least a generation earlier. I’m one of the few guys my age who own spectator shoes and usually wear a hat.

Hey SP, thanks for the bump, I had never found this thread before.

Nobody tell my wife that I am "sharing", OK?

1. Born and grew up in Ontario, Canada. Grandfather was an American citizen which caused me to want to live in the USA which we have now for 15 years. Hopefully will become naturalized citizen within the next few months.
2. Been a geek all my life, yearbook photog, science fair, computers, etc. Still love anything mechanical or technological which leads to too many hobbies.
3. Was an honors student but never went to college until well after high school. My uncle got me a job doing labor at an agricultural research station which launched my eventual education and career in agriculture which I have now been in for over 30 years. Was the 2nd person to ever graduate from my ag college program with a perfect 4.0 gpa.
4 Mid-career I left to start and run a computer business for 5 years (left due to partnership vs friendship issues). Learned to do programing and hardware which I now combine with my agricultural career providing satellite imagery services to farmers to help manage their crops (like Google Earth on steroids).
5. Met my wife (farm girl) in college and been married for 31 years this June. Raised 3 boys. One has returned to Canada, one climbing the corporate ladder living in the middle east, one looking for himself still here at home. Got one grandson with another on the way.
6. Wife and I are both loners, few friends mostly work related, like to stay home or go out just the 2 of us. Bought land out in the middle of nowhere last year and are working to build our retirement place. Hunting, gardening on our own land and fishing just down the road.
7. First started smoking (a pipe) when I was about 15, smoked cigs, then cigars with pipe on and off. Been pretty much exclusive pipes for past 5 years with occasional cigars.
8. Enjoy classic rock and blues, tolerate the wife's country. Played guitar (mostly poorly) since a teenager.
9. Early in our marriage my wife was told that alcohol was bad for a medical condition she had so we quit drinking for 25 years. Three years ago she was told that was a pile of dooky so have been catching up ever since. Not really but do enjoy a (real) Budweiser or Maker's Mark on the rocks.
10. Been a conservative all my life, leaning more to libertarian these days. Don't like either party currently in Washington. Watch O'Reilly every night, like Beck but in small doses. Palin still has me confused (aka worried).

Mike

1) I had two outfits that I wore all throughout high school. Outfit 1 - Cowboy boots, cowboy hat, jeans, a jean jacket. Outfit 2 - Snake boots, jeans, leather trench coat and black sweater. For some reason, people were scared of me. I don't wear those things anymore, however i still have the cowboy boots and snake boots in a closet somewhere.

2) I dropped out of high school during my second sophomore year, then went back a year or two later and got my diploma in a few months through an alternative school for bad kids, then went to college where I took a few graduate level philosophy courses through an adult continuing education program, then got bored and droped out with a 3.97 gpa.

3) Prior to my current job, the longest I stayed at any job was 3 months. I have been at my current job for 10 years.

4) My record for shortest term of employment at a job was 6 hours at a chinese restaurant.

5) I am a blue belt in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.

6) My brother is a semi-pro MMA fighter and a black belt in BJJ.

7) My dad was one of 16 children. His parents died in their early to mid 50's, I never knew them.

8) My mother likes to tell a story about when I was born. The story goes that when I came out, the doctor held me up and said to my mother, "You have a handsome baby boy!". Then I promptly proceeded to pee in the doctor's face.

9) I have only owned one vehicle in my entire life up to this point, a black Jeep Wrangler bought new in 2002. I doubt I will ever drive anything else willingly.

10) I have somone else's anterior cruciate ligament in my right knee due to a Jiu Jitsu injury. That person is dead and doesn't miss it. Yes...this makes me part zombie.

1.I started smoking a pipe to cover up tobacco-like smoking activities in college for my friends…really, and as sort of a joke, the pipe stuck, but the friends are gone.
2.I love music of all sorts, from classical to free form jazz, bluegrass to space age bachelor pad lounge.
3.After three years of marriage, I still am shocked I am married.
4.I started drinking Scotch because of a women, then another.
5. I stopped drinking scotch in bars because I was tired of being lectured by scotch experts.
6.My dream job is a Secret Agent with a cover of international playboy/European LOLA (also my wife’s name) class racecar driver.
7. I am the current Master of the local Lodge of the oldest and most powerful (although I am not sure by which measure on the powerful tag, the local mayor does not return my calls) secret society in the world.
8. I have learned that drinking extra dry gin martinis, and not falling off the barstool, earns the respect of a good bartender.
9.I am the first male in my family to not fight in a war scenes anyone recorded family history.
10.I used to ride up to Canada with another girlfriend who loved to drive because she was a Deadhead in the 90’s, by all the Cuban cigars I could afford and sell them for a significant profit. I was the Cosmo Kramer of my area for a little while.

hello all

1. I am a Army Brat in a way my father was killed in Vietnam when I was 4 a few years latter my mother remarried another soldier who was just retired. When I turned 18 I joined the Army Airborne Infantry servered a little over 20 years. Served in two wars and never got a scratch on me how lucky am I?

2. I been married 4 times, finally found the true love of my life we been together now for 10 years, between the both of us we have 6 kids, my wife has two boys,I have three girls and a son all we need now is Alice the house keeper

3. I love to read, (W.E.B Griffin novals) and old black and white movies.

4. I am a contractor in Iraq now and believe it or not, the money is good but I didnt come here for that reason.

5. I love all my pipes and would never dream of selling any of them, I can remember every deatil of when I got it, who was with me, I even have pipes I smoke when I am in a good mood or the ones that help me get through a certian problem.

6. I love golf but haven't played in many years and when I did I was bad to say the least.

7. Old Country music like the possum, the Hagg, Man in Black. Red headed stranger, is my kind of music if you dont know them then you dont know country.

8. If you are a enemy to my country I would like nothing more than to track you down and club you like a baby seal.

9. I make pipes some love them some don't but I still love making them.

10. I wrote two books never meant to make money off either one I wrote my love my pipe as a way to pass time and humor my friends when I was in Iraq the first time, Then I wrote Reflexions which I wrote in case I was killed over here so my kidds when they were old enough to see I wasn't the SOB their mother told them I was