14-Month+ Old Trout Stream

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallSmoke

Reaction score
I had asked a while back if anyone knew how the HPCS Adirondack Trout Stream blend would hold up if I cellared it but no one had much experience with it. So, I thought I would share what I found so far. I opened a Mason Jar full that I put away back in the end of March, 2009, this weekend and smoked a couple of bowls. (With it being my favorite aromatic I was curious to know how it would hold up, so I put some in three jars to open at the one year, two year, and five year points and have kept them in the bedroom closet.)

I must say this jar was better than the bags I have been receiving throughout the year. Still a flavorful and cool smoke with no apparent loss of taste, moisture or texture. But the "sweet spot" I normally hit in the middle of the bowl seemed to come around sooner and lasted much longer, which was a pleasant surprise. Sipping on some Sweet Lucy Bourbon with each bowl made it an even nicer hour of enjoyment. I'm looking forward to putting the rest of this jar up in smoke and then seeing how the 2-year jar turns out next spring.

Nice report! Do you think the Sweet Lucy Bourbon may have skewed the results?

Jim...first time hearing of Sweet Lucy Bourbon. On the supply list now :!:

Ol'Dawg":56h16ksg said:
Nice report! Do you think the Sweet Lucy Bourbon may have skewed the results?

Jim...first time hearing of Sweet Lucy Bourbon. On the supply list now :!:
If it did, I might stick with it!

Sweet Lucy is in the Prichard line of drinks. They are best known for their rum, though. But that Sweet Lucy Bourbon is nice. They're in Tennessee. http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/

TallSmoke":v1jve7wp said:
Sipping on some Sweet Lucy Bourbon
I haven't been into Trout Stream but I sure would like to know more about this Sweet Lucy Bourbon! :D

I am glad that aged Trout Stream is treating you right. :D

Tall one,

Thanks for the link! I didn't think there were but two distilleries in TN, one at Lynchburg and one at Cascade Hollow, both of which I been to. Anyway, the next time I go to Music City I'll have to make a detour and go on their free tour.

Jim

Just an update. Just popped a 23-month old mason jar of trout stream and can only say, "Wow." Such good stuff. Nothing lost. I just cellared a pound the other day. Going to order another pound soon.

TallSmoke":3xnu0yw0 said:
Just an update. Just popped a 23-month old mason jar of trout stream.
Glad to hear you were able to age test it.My bottle of Sweet Lucy didn't make it that long. Not bad stuff, but a tad sweet for me.

Jim

Jim, I usually mix my Sweet Lucy with Lemonade. It's nice on a hot summer day. They don't call it "Sweet" Lucy for nuthin'!

TallSmoke":yzp9ni9f said:
Jim, I usually mix my Sweet Lucy with Lemonade. It's nice on a hot summer day. They don't call it "Sweet" Lucy for nuthin'!
Didn't get around to trying that mix, but will this summer. In the past I've spiced my summer time lemonade with Seagrams Blackberry Vodka.

Natch":yzp9ni9f said:
Dang, I hope so! If Bourbon didn't "skew" my life and view of the world, I'd probably stop sipping it! :lol:
Natch
Not to take any chances myself, I infuse rum, Irish, vodka, brandy and a few others to help skew my views too! :cheers:

Jim

Indeed!
Just cracked open a jar of trout stream I've had for over a year and same tasty results!
It was already good. Now it's just stupid good!

Glad for the report folks. It saved me asking the same question about cellering.
I don't think cellering will improve bad tobacco but, when you start with god tobacco...now you will have something. :bounce: