1792 Flake,,, My first try.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
:D Woohoo Jr cigars sure gets stuff here fast.

So , I am sitting here, re- reading reviews, because I opened the tin of 1792 about a half hour ago,, and WOW! it has a very different aroma. I cant place a name on the smell, and it is soooo different to me ! Heck, I might really like it. The tin aroma has me really confused.
So, here I am at the kitchen table, smelling some of it as it dries,, and I cant decide "WHICH" Pipe to try it in???????????

I "will" be trying 1792 tonight,,,sometime.. but this 'Tonquin " smell is really somethin else !!

As our own friend and Brother Carlos so eloquently put it, dead mouse in a tin. 'Bout sums it up. Nevertheless, I still like it. Be forewarned, it's a strong smoke, lots of nicotine.

A tobacco this new to you should be tried in a pipe you are familiar with. At least that is my opinion. In the same way that a new pipe should be tried with a tobacco you are familiar with.

Let us know how it goes, sounds like an enjoyable evening before you.

I really like 1792 flake... Or at least I do now lol

The first tin I smoked, I smoked in various briars.

But one day while doing some yardwork I tried it in a cob... Bingo! A match made in heaven. It's even sold as "cob flake/plug" in the EU

Lol pick a pipe that you never want to smoke again, and after you're done, take the pipe, set it up on something outside, and shoot it with a deer slug. When you're done picking up the pieces of your shattered pipe, shout curses at them, put them in a bucket, pour some kerosene on them and light them on fire.

When the fire goes out, shout more curses at your bucket of ashes. Dig a deep hole, throw the ashes in, and bury those fuckers with a crucifix planted at the top.

When satan comes to reclaim the remains of the vessel that held his creation, perhaps the crucifix will prevent him from breaching the surface and claiming your soul.

That sums up my feelings on 1792. I too was confused when I smoked my 1st bowl of this stuff....thats how the dark prince fools you..his creation tricks your senses into thinking it may be something good....but all the while..deep in your soul, you knew it was evil from the start.
Subsequent bowls enlightened me to it's sinister intentions....I heard a horrifying voice that became louder with every puff. "Come to me, partake of my demon weed. I will ghost your pipes with the smell of a thousand sweaty gym socks...you cannot resist!" It was then that I snapped out of my trance with a shudder.
I called the Vatican and had an exorcist cleanse my pipes....it almost killed him. He renounced his priesthood and last I heard he was walking the streets of Rome muttering insanities about the stench of the abyss.

Don't listen to these men who seek to steal your soul for the dark one...they are his minions...and they are wretched beings.

I like 1792, just needs to be smoked in a dedicated pipe, nice and strong. Tonquin is often used as an adjunct in vanilla blends, as it is cheaper than the vanilla bean.

Lol @ boxerbuddy

You really disliked 1792 that much? Haha oh well. Dry time and a smaller bowl are essential IMHO

Priest is merely optional!

Boxer makes me smile. It has nothing to do with 1792, I have yet to try it. But, Boxer just makes me smile.

Bill

EVERYTHING boxerbuddy said above and MORE !!! If you like the taste and odor of "old lady's hand soap" in your 'bac, load 'er up and smoke it. Was offered a bowl at a "pipe night" at the B&M I sometimes go to and it was one of the few tobacco's I've ever smoked that I dumped out BEFORE I finished it! "Different strokes for different folks" as they say :p

Boxerbuddy":l0yt9rdo said:
When satan comes to reclaim the remains of the vessel that held his creation, perhaps the crucifix will prevent him from breaching the surface and claiming your soul.
Good stuff! :cheers:

LMAO ! Dam Boxer ! Thats just too funny.
Well, I decided on using a broke in Cob (Va), I did let it dry for a few hours, till I finally got the nerve to go outside and give it a try.

I was surprised, in that I didnt taste the tonquin after lighting. I guess, to me it seemed heavy and dark, kind of like Irish Flake in the sense of nicotene. Maybe its the Kentucky that makes it heavy.??

But I survived ! and will try it again.

I will say this,, I was smelling it constantly, as it was drying out, because I just couldnt figure out if I liked it or not......and I ended up smelling it all night, like it stuck to my mustache or something.

Btw, Boxer,, Im still laughing , LOL .

It's definitely a love or hate blend and I happen to love it!

Boxerbuddy":lv1jgihj said:
Lol pick a pipe that you never want to smoke again, and after you're done, take the pipe, set it up on something outside, and shoot it with a deer slug. When you're done picking up the pieces of your shattered pipe, shout curses at them, put them in a bucket, pour some kerosene on them and light them on fire.

When the fire goes out, shout more curses at your bucket of ashes. Dig a deep hole, throw the ashes in, and bury those fuckers with a crucifix planted at the top.

That sums up my feelings on 1792. I too was confused when I smoked my 1st bowl of this stuff....thats how the dark prince fools you..his creation tricks your senses into thinking it may be something good....but all the while..deep in your soul, you knew it was evil from the start.
Subsequent bowls enlightened me to it's sinister intentions....I heard a horrifying voice that became louder with every puff. "Come to me, partake of my demon weed. I will ghost your pipes with the smell of a thousand sweaty gym socks...you cannot resist!" It was then that I snapped out of my trance with a shudder.
I called the Vatican and had an exorcist cleanse my pipes....it almost killed him. He renounced his priesthood and last I heard he was walking the streets of Rome muttering insanities about the stench of the abyss.

Don't listen to these men who seek to steal your soul for the dark one...they are his minions...and they are wretched beings.
This might be my favorite tobacco review ever!

I just tried my first bowl of this in my small yello bowl flake friendly pipe, it was kinda let down though. I was almost hoping to find something so crazy but it never happened, it was a medium nic hit for me with a pleasant flavor. Only thing I was not a huge fan of was a odd after taste but was quickly cured with water. It will not buy massive amounts of it but can see having some on hand. The room note will get me thrown out of the house though so its going to be an out side smoke

New stuff has a more chocolaty sort of smell. Stumble across an older tin, say from 2004 or so. Then the aroma of dead mouse permeates that tin. I've had older tins that made you wonder just where that dead mouse went. Like he laid there and stewed for a few days after becoming deceased. "SIGH!" I miss the older stuff.

I just can't handle it straight, but mixed in low amounts with light aromatics or latakia blends, it adds a nice "punch" to the smoke, but allows me to smoke near nonsmokers who don't complain when most of what they smell is Trout Stream, or 1-Q.

Natch

Regarding Boxer's feelings about 1792...

roogles":zt3duj3i said:
This might be my favorite tobacco review ever!
This.

Puff Daddy":zt3duj3i said:
Hey Boxer, you need to go to tobaccoreviews.com and post that review :)
And this.

I pretty much have side cramps from laughing so much. I'm thinking about writing a short film screenplay with this as the theme. Considering I have yet to man-up enough and try 1792, I'm likely going to see if filming myself trying it and having this reaction might happen. That would be worth it.

8)

First tried out 1792 about 10 yrs ago. Remember it being very odd, but also strangely beguiling. I finished the tin but didn't buy another. Figured it was one of those weeds that one had to smoke a bunch of in order to catch the taste.

10 years on, I got in another tin but haven't cracked it yet. I remember BH saying something like it needs multiple years of ageing to tone down the Tonquin, and then it's sublime.

So perhaps I'll get a tin every year and wait at least 5 years to open the first.....

Then again, maybe I should just open the tin and go from there. After all, my tastes have changed fairly radically in 10 yrs!

:albino:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":3ml9mu3u said:
First tried out 1792 about 10 yrs ago. Remember it being very odd, but also strangely beguiling. I finished the tin but didn't buy another. Figured it was one of those weeds that one had to smoke a bunch of in order to catch the taste.

10 years on, I got in another tin but haven't cracked it yet. I remember BH saying something like it needs multiple years of ageing to tone down the Tonquin, and then it's sublime.

So perhaps I'll get a tin every year and wait at least 5 years to open the first.....

Then again, maybe I should just open the tin and go from there. After all, my tastes have changed fairly radically in 10 yrs!

:albino:

Cheers,

RR
Its just the same old "different strokes" with this blend. Like I said, I enjoy it. But then again I may just be crazy lol

I also think part of my enjoyment comes from feeling like this is a blend that would have been enjoyed wayyy back in the day out of a clay tavern pipe. Feels like I'm gettin' back to the roots when I'm having a bowl of 1792 and working in the yard.

P.S. when I said that smaller bowl and dry time are a must... I think being outdoors is almost a must as well :study: