1997 Dunhill 4103 Cumberland

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schacht

Reaction score
This Dunhill 4103 Cumberland isn´t perhaps really outstanding to those of you, who are more experienced pipe smokers than me, but I have been searching for quite a while before I found this one recently. The former owner bought it in 1997 and left it unsmoked - changing this has truly been a pleasure to me.

It´s one of my favorite pipes.

_SCH2224_web.jpg

_SCH2236_web.jpg

_SCH2228_web.jpg
Kind regards
Thilo

I really like this one. I´m a big fan of the military bit pipes, and on a Dunnie, even better! That´s a great find actually....

8)

MisterE":bbqme80q said:
[…] I´m a big fan of the military bit pipes […]
Yes - me as well! It´s technically and aesthetically an elegant solution. If it´s silver, wood or ebonite doesn´t generally matter that much to me, but that Dunhill olive ages beautifully, I try not to polish it too much and keep the patina.

I like how the polished rim echoes the Cumberland stem. Pure balance.
Beautiful photos as well, again!

she is a beauty! I too like the military mount and the overall shape of the pipe. Enjoy!

Beautiful Pipe Schacht!

I searched for a particular Dunhill pipe for quite some time as well. Ended up finding this 84 Christmas pipe on Ebay in need of a good home.

Enjoy that pipe!

That's a great Cumberland for sure. Seeing that its one of the older pieces. In the earlier part of the 1990's DUNHILL stopped making the bowls with the smooth top !!!!! And also stopped using a Cumberland stem!!!!! And still stamped them Cumberland only because of the brown stain. That was a shame because all they did was cheapen the pipe, having less steps to produce them and also ruining the whole style of the Cumberland series. you have a CLASSIC Cumberland , congrats on finding a nice specimen.

Now I have a question regarding that nice Cumberland. Did DUNHILL go back to their old standard of smooth top for the Cumberland series???? I noted the hallmark on the silver dates this as a 1997 year. Now I'm confused, which is pretty common for me!
Doc

During my own search for this one I found several Cumberlands with a smooth top. But most of them had the flat top, while this one and some other examples are roundet. I´m not an expert, but it seems that Dunhill is still making Cumberlands with smooth roundet tops nowadays. Schneiderwind is obviously selling a few.

According to this, the 1997 dating should be correct:

Dunhill_Dating.jpg

Wow, that's quite a catch! Surely one of the better looking pipes I've seen to date!

Those're both great pipes! I'm a big fan of the silver and military bit and the cumberland finish. That is a great catch there, my friend!