2.5m-year-old tobacco found in Peru

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This discovery allows us to establish that the plant dates back to the Pleistocene Era, and confirms that it originated in northern Peru," the museum said in a statement.

Unless me discovering 2 week old pizza in my fridge proved that pizza originated in Kentucky, Corelation does not prove causation Mr Museum...

Wonder if it could be rehydrated?

I'd smoke it! :cheers: :lol!:

puros_bran":1afgjcar said:
Unless me discovering 2 week old pizza in my fridge proved that pizza originated in Kentucky, Corelation does not prove causation Mr Museum...
You can't prove anything scientifically speaking. You can only disprove some things.

It doesn't prove, but it does confirm, which is what the article states. ;)

There are no such things as synonyms.

How does finding tobacco in Peru confirm that it originated in Peru???

Hell I found a buck in an old coat, does that confirm money originates in old coat pockets??

Correlation IS different than Causation ... there are no synonyms right..

Confirm definitions from the interwebz:
•establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts
•strengthen or make more firm
•make more firm

others of a similar nature here: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:confirm&sa=X&ei=e8DqTJz1CIGdlgfdyMS7Cw&sqi=2&ved=0CBcQkAE

Finidng tobacco in peru:

a) establishes and strenghtens the case for stating that tobacco originated there
b) strenghtens and makes more firm the case for stating that tobacco originates there
c) makes more firm the case for stating that originates there

It seems to me that confirm is the appropriate word. I agree though that prove would be decidedly incorrect.

Sorry, semantics again. :D

There probably weren't people in Peru until about 10-12,000 years ago.

So if the tobacco is really 2,500,000 years old (i.e. it passes repeated testing/peer review), it wasn't brought there by people. It either grew nearby, or it was carried by wind, water, or an animal. For the quantity they found, Occam's Razor says "grew nearby" is a best guess.

But wouldn't prove Peru's the *first* place tobacco grew, just *a* place *this* tobacco grew.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/slideshow/ALeqM5ioVvFhFAqvxmk9gpFTgk_f5bXHRA?docId=CNG.00686f4ad896bf682a75eaefa3baeb5f.c01&index=0
baccy10.jpg
[/url][/img]

Would be cool to have that in the smoking den. Some serious bragging rights when people start talking about their oldest tins. :lol:

If that's an inch ruler, I'm gonna need a bigger pipe. I wonder if any of our resident carvers are up to the challenge.