2009 TAPS Show Report and Photos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in posting the Show photos! I haven't been able to get on the computer until this evening.

I'm not good at reporting and probably couldn't articulate a report as well as Dock did for the NY Show but here's a little update and some photos of the 2009 TAPS Show!

It is pretty difficult to really get around and see everyone when you have a table to tend but thanks to Jim (Ol'dawg) I was able to get around and take a few photos. A big thanks to Jim coming all the way from Georgia to help me with the table! We had a blast! Ol'dawg is one of the finest people you could ever want to meet!

The show itself really more than met my expectations! With the exception of not being able to smoke on the show room floor the venue was outstanding! They did provide us a nice area with a covered patio and tables to smoke and many took advantage of it with the excellent weather. There of course the usual suspects and a lot of newer venders and it was a full house! Jim Swindell did an outstanding job as usual running the raffle, silent auction, pipe carving contest as well as many other things. I was an official judge in the pipe carving contest this year and it was a great experience. Bob Hayes, son in-law of Craig Tarler of C&D fame won the pipe carving contest. Bob Makes an outstanding pipe! The winning pipe was auctioned off following the award presentation. I'm not positive but I believe Steve Monjure won the auction.

There were way too many pipes to look at and I am seriously thinking about foregoing a table next year so I can be able to look at everything closer, though I really like having a table!

Thanks to all the brothers that stopped by to visit at the table. It was great to see the BoB well represented! I am not going to attempt to name everyone but the experience was all my pleasure! Please give us your thoughts on the show!

Following are a few photos of the show. Again, I apologize for not getting more photos of the brothers!

Jim's and my table with Jim (Ol'Dawg) checking out the goods. In the background is Jerry Perry, maker of the famous Mountain Laurel pipes.
DSC01817.JPG

Jim again at the table waiting on a sell!
DSC01818.JPG

Robert Lawing of Lawdog Pipes.
DSC01808.JPG

Robert Lawing's wife at their table representing the Pipe & Pint and Lawdog Pipes.
DSC01809.JPG

McCrainies Table with an outstanding selection of pipes!
DSC01810.JPG

Keith Toney now of C&D representing their table with a huge supply of C&D blends.
DSC01812.JPG

Bob Hayes with the pipe carvering contest winner's trophy on his table.
DSC01813.JPG

Benny, friend, fellow club member and cedar pipe artisan at his table. Benny carves some fine and unsual pipes from cedar and they are outstanding smokers!
DSC01814.JPG

Steve Monjure working hard. I lost count of how many tables Steve had this year! I believe he brought everything but the kitchen sink out of his house this time!
DSC01816.JPG

The James Island Piper with a load of pipes!
DSC01820.JPG

Louise Jones with Jay on the side. I believe the flash got Louise!
DSC01821.JPG

The Charatan Man with his outstanding collection!
DSC01822.JPG

It was great to put some faces with the names on the board. I'm looking forward to the May TAPS meeting and hate I can't make the April meeting. It seems like a great group of pipe smokers. Here's to hoping next years show requires an even bigger venue. I know I had to walk the show twice to make sure I saw all the great pipes and accessories. And the Cornell and Diehl booth set me up with several bags of sample tobacco to try out. That was a nice treat.

Thanks for the report and some great pics, JP!

If anyone has trouble seeing the photos it is because my host limits the hourly transfer rate. They will come back up. I am looking into a different host!

One thing you can do is open a Flikr account (free) and post them there, then just post a link to your photo page here.

Looks like a great show.

Now I'm intrigued by those cedar pipes--is there a cedar flavor when you smoke from them?

Doc Manhattan":se16l955 said:
Looks like a great show.

Now I'm intrigued by those cedar pipes--is there a cedar flavor when you smoke from them?
Doc,

IMHO, they really enhance the tobacco experience believe it or not. Same with Mountain Laurel.

Justpipes":bojq8etc said:
Doc,

IMHO, they really enhance the tobacco experience believe it or not. Same with Mountain Laurel.
I can believe it. I love the smell of cedar--I can see it pairing nicely with a burley or a latakia blend.

Looks like a good time for sure. All the stuff at your table, are they mostly estates?

Thanks Mark, another great report from you, this time on this year's TAPS show...

BTW Jim... it's good to see that you haven't grown horns ;)

I ended up purchasing a nice Mastro de Pija estate from Mark's table. I had promised myself that I was only going to look this year, but, oh well. My only regret was that I had such a limited time at the show, I had another commitment I had to rush off to. It was a great show, had many more vendors than I expected.

I had a great time... scored 8 great pipes. is that top table yours? I almost got that Stanwell from that table... super great time we drove 3 hours to get there.

There's not much for me to add that hasn't already been said. It was well worth the 5.5 hour drive for me as the show was very good with lots of pipes, tobacco and accessories to see and choose from, not to mention getting to see and meet some of the BoBs. The TAPS club does and excellent job of putting on the show and I hope to they will continue and have an even bigger show next year.

Jason--The pipes in the lower left of the photo were new and made by Mike Brissett and some in the middle were new made by a TAPS club member. The others were estates.

Puffs- LOL A lot of others have wondered the same thing since I can be a little devilish at times. All in good fun though

werewolfhands--Yes, that table was Mark's which he graciously allowed me to share. (Thanks Mark!)

Jim

Please don't thank me Jim! The pleasure was all mine and the show wouldn't have been the same without you! :D

I can't wait until next time!

werewolfhands":xekeerae said:
I had a great time... scored 8 great pipes. is that top table yours? I almost got that Stanwell from that table... super great time we drove 3 hours to get there.
Ha, that's funny - I DID end up scoring the Stanwell with the plateau top from that table, in addition to that gorgeous Brissett poker!

Mark - great pics!

I was intrigued by those cedar pipes, but a little scared by the prospect of smoking from a soft, resiny wood like that. Benny explained how he lets them cure before offering them for sale, etc. I was still too scared to try one, though the prices were very reasonable. Maybe next year.

-Andrew

What a great report & the pictures were super! I attended the show too & from my past experience, this was, by far, the club's best effort. I shared a table with another old geezer so I missed seeing much of what the photos had to offer. I can vouch for the fact that running a table sure does cut into your visiting time with the other vendors. I was more than happy with the sales that I had but I sure missed the schmoozing with the guys. I managed to snare a few pipes that were the last carved by Raleigh carver, Bob Ray before his passing last fall. I am going to try to keep one big freehand out of my rotation but it's going to hard since he used some great briar. Bob was a carver who favored traditional shapes but he went crazy near the end & carved an unusual shaped thing; looks like a poker with a broken leg but, damn, it smokes like a dream. One of these days when it is cooling off, I take a picture so that you guys can voice an opinion or two.

Speaking of opinions, I'm about to voice one which won't endear me to my pipe-smoking friends in the Charlotte area. About ten years ago, Charlotte had a show that was pretty good for a few years & then, it went into the dumper. I'm way to old to even suggest organizing a new show but I'll never understand how a city the size of Charlotte, with great P & T shops, can't find 25 or 30 fellows willing to do the things necessary to put on a one day show. God knows, pipe smokers must abound hereabouts when you see the inventory that McCranies alone carryies. OK, that's my unedited opinion on that subject...for now.

All in all, the TAPS show was a great experience for a 74 year old geezer & bride even though the trip nearly put me in traction.

Thanks for the update Grant! It was indeed a great show and promises to be even better next year. The idea of having a 2 day show is being thrown around, hopefully at a venue that will allow smoking.

I for one would love to see a show in Charlotte. I was set up at the TAPS show, first door in on the right, ASB pipes plus a ton of estates. But the drive from Taylorsville in the morning to get there in time to set up plus the show then the drive home wore me out (well that and the fact that I got aobut 4 hours of sleep the two nights before the show with last minute preparations). I'm not saying I'd quit the TAPS show, but one a bit closer to home would be very nice indeed.

Aaron

aaronbtxnc":vim8ew17 said:
I for one would love to see a show in Charlotte. I was set up at the TAPS show, first door in on the right, ASB pipes plus a ton of estates. But the drive from Taylorsville in the morning to get there in time to set up plus the show then the drive home wore me out (well that and the fact that I got aobut 4 hours of sleep the two nights before the show with last minute preparations). I'm not saying I'd quit the TAPS show, but one a bit closer to home would be very nice indeed.

Aaron
Aaron! You should have identified yourself! We spoke at the show when I was browsing your table. Also you had an outstanding entry in the carving contest. Thanks for posting! I look forward to seeing more of you!