2012 St. Louis International Pipe Show

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Hester

Reaction score
2012 St. Louis Pipe Show - February 18, 2012

The St. Louis Pipe Club will host the 24th annual Gateway Area Pipe Show and Swap on Saturday, Feb. 18, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Heart of St. Charles Banquet Center, 1410 S. Fifth St., St. Charles, MO 63301, 636.947.8270. Lodging for the event may be found at Quality Inn & Suites at 1425 S. Fifth St., St. Charles, MO 63301; phone: 636.946.6936. Make a reservation and mention the show by Jan. 20 to receive a special room rate of $65. Smoking is welcome at both locations. For information, contact Jay Milton at 56 Glen Echo, Glen Carbon, IL 62034; phone: 618.288.2090; or Bob Callaway at 220 Pralle Lane, St. Charles, MO 63303; phone: 636.946.8555.

Wish I could be there. I hope everyone that attends has a blast!

I'm looking forward to the show. I hear it's sold out. Any idea of who the vendors will be? I do have a friend, Rod Margherio, who's taken a couple of tables. He's always got good stuff.

the Vendors To my knowledge will be and this is just a couple I know off the top of my head is Ador, Dr.Bob,Bear Den, My wife will have a table with my pipes Hester pipes so if you see her tell her hi for me,Toni Nelisen just to name a few. There is also a lot of tobacco for sale and to try, This is a SMOKING show which makes it that much better. I am sorry I have to miss it this year but my wife will have it on skype so I can still have a little fun.
Best Regards
Richard

Behike54
you will not be sorry for this. The first time I went my wife had to drag me out crying it was only after she told me if I didnt act like a big boy she would take me to the restroom and give a whippin, and me being the coward I am went along peacefully.
Best Regards
Richard

I'll be there midday Friday to Sunday morning. I can't wait! shock:

Richard Hester":ze0en11t said:
The first time I went my wife had to drag me out crying it was only after she told me if I didnt act like a big boy she would take me to the restroom and give a whippin, and me being the coward I am went along peacefully.
My wife has to work that weekend, so i'll probably be going solo. Of course she will limit my available funds :( , but time is of no concern for me that Saturday...

OK, I am IN for Saturday.

Is anybody up for a BoB meet-up or gathering before or during the day.

I have never been to a pipe event and would love to walk the floor with someone more knowledgeable than me. Which, at this point, is EVERYBODY.

Are there any "do's" and "don'ts?"

1) For instance, do tobacco reps mind you sampling? Is it expected?

2) Is negotiating insulting and/or a faux pas? Or does it depend on the maker? For instance, I am sure it is useless to negotiate with Will Purdy or Alex Flurov, right?

3) How many pipes does one bring if you are just there to try/buy blends?

4) Are samples to be smoked AT THE EVENT, or can you bring them home?

Thanks. I would really like to meet some other members while I am there. Pipe people are pretty laid back, I like that.

Me, not so much. :bounce:

Just put the date in the Blackberry. Missed last year, but went the year before.
If you guys plan a BoB meet, count me in.

Last time I went by myself, and I agree it would be more fun if you knew a few people there.

Behike54":ido5lkiq said:
OK, I am IN for Saturday.

Is anybody up for a BoB meet-up or gathering before or during the day.

I have never been to a pipe event and would love to walk the floor with someone more knowledgeable than me. Which, at this point, is EVERYBODY.

Are there any "do's" and "don'ts?"

1) For instance, do tobacco reps mind you sampling? Is it expected?

2) Is negotiating insulting and/or a faux pas? Or does it depend on the maker? For instance, I am sure it is useless to negotiate with Will Purdy or Alex Flurov, right?

3) How many pipes does one bring if you are just there to try/buy blends?

4) Are samples to be smoked AT THE EVENT, or can you bring them home?

Thanks. I would really like to meet some other members while I am there. Pipe people are pretty laid back, I like that.

Me, not so much. :bounce:
I will try and answer your questions.
1 they will have open tins for you to sample from at the event to smoke while you are walking around if you like it you can buy some if not try another blend no problems.
2 no prices are sent in stone and closer to the end of the day they are more lickly to drop their prices so they dont have to carry them back home, but remember if you like a pipe talke to the dealer then for it may be gone if you wait too long.
3. If I was going just for the tobacco alone I would bring a few cobs one for english and the other for Va's or what kind of tobacco you like.
4. rule of thumb is samples is to smoke there and if you like you can buy that tobacco to take home but I have seen some folks bring in four pipes load them and take them home, also at the end of the show a lot of the time they will give you the open tins, Alos Bob Callaway the man who runs the show gives tobacco away at the front door so it wil be a great. I am sorry I wont be there.
Best Regards
Richard

Thanks, Richard.

I don't have a lot of pipes, I was just asking from both a pipe and tobacco buyer's perspective.

I was thinking that if you go to a NON-smoking event, you probably sample up stuff. Like I said, been to a lot of shows, but never a pipe show.

I imagine if you want something like Sobranie, PENZ, or SL, one should get there from the get-go, right?

I may have to get there the night before. It's a little over 3 hours from where I am and I want to hit the ground running! :mrgreen:

Behike54,
If you are going the night before make sure to reserve a room at the mentioned location and you will get a discount ,also alot of the folks who will be having booths will have their room open the night before and you can get a lot of gret deals there. Also before you head back home there is a great B&M called John Denglers just a couple mile from the center in old town St. Charles.
Best Regards
Richard

C&D comes in full force with bags and markers for samples. Their show specials are good too. At the end of the day they sell the open tins for a good price. Last year I got 3 full or almost full GLP tins for something like $15 dollars.

Gentlemen,

It looks like I won't be able to make it there till just before noon. Shall we meet for lunch and then go hog wild?!

Even if it's dogs THERE, I am down for anything just so we can gather and connect! :)

Making this thread a sticky for a few weeks. I should have done it sooner. So it should be at the top and easy to find. :sunny: