2016 POTY

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any interest if there will be a BoB 2016 POTY? I for one would like to see one made available from one of our esteemed carvers here. And there's a good few to choose from such as (but not limited to)-

Jesse Jones
Todd Harris
Wayne Teipen
Scottie Piersal
Ozark Wizard
Cartaphilius
Growley
Mark Tinsky
David Huber

And of course not all of those would be prepared or willing to make multiple pipes for this project, but wanted to include those that I've had the pleasure of their fine handiwork as well a few that I hope to acquire sometime in the future.

If this is in the wrong forum please move it to the appropriate one.

Cheers,

RR

Ozark Wizard":wc97bwpx said:
Will they have to undergo FDA testing?

Fair question, and I sure am no expert on these matters. Yet it seems to me that this hasn't yet been resolved to my casual observation. There's plenty of independent carvers still in the biz right now, if that's any indication.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ij0foooi said:
Ozark Wizard":ij0foooi said:

Fair question, and I sure am no expert on these matters. Yet it seems to me that this hasn't yet been resolved to my casual observation. There's plenty of independent carvers still in the biz right now, if that's any indication.

Cheers,

RR
Well then, cool! Why not?

Ozark Wizard":ru5lw0r2 said:
Brewdude":ru5lw0r2 said:
Ozark Wizard":ru5lw0r2 said:

Cheers,

RR
Well then, cool! Why not?
Jolly good then Ozzie.

If your hat is in the ring, so to speak, I would heartily support you as the carver of the '16 BoB POTY. And one of your horn shapes in Black Walnut would be just the treat. I forget the exact one just now, but one of them tickled the ol' fancy.

And that's not to say I wouldn't support any of the other carvers I've listed above. After all it would be governed by the admins of the board first and foremost.

Still, so far, the Wiz is the first to step forward. So there is that.  8)

Cheers,

RR

RDP  and Jesse both get my vote!

But I could definitely make another horn..............

I'd like to add Nicholas Burnsworth of Boulder&Briar pipes.

I was waiting to see if there was a lot of interest, but I'd be more than happy to make a POY.

A couple of considerations with me. First, the pipes would probably be $225-$275 for a simple shape. That's the best I can do on club pipe prices. I know that's a little high for some folks. Second, I would also need a minimum order of 5 in order to cut enough costs to offer that price.

Everyone on your list would do well, so I think if we could get an idea about demand, price, and desired shape it would make choosing the artisan easier.

Thanks John! I would be honored to do the 2016 POY if chosen. Since taking on a seasonal occupation my pipe making hours are very limited during the late spring through early fall months, but I will be in the shop making pipes close to full time from November to March. Once a shape is decided, I can make a prototype and provide clear images here for your evaluation.

Brewdude":rbijajyf said:
Any interest if there will be a BoB 2016 POTY? I for one would like to see one made available from one of our esteemed carvers here. And there's a good few to choose from such as (but not limited to)-

Jesse Jones
Todd Harris
Wayne Teipen
Scottie Piersal
Ozark Wizard
Cartaphilius
Growley
Mark Tinsky
David Huber

And of course not all of those would be prepared or willing to make multiple pipes for this project, but wanted to include those that I've had the pleasure of their fine handiwork as well a few that I hope to acquire sometime in the future.

If this is in the wrong forum please move it to the appropriate one.

Cheers,

RR
You can scratch me off the list guys, I have a hard enough time making one pipe much less a shirt load of'em. :fpalm:

I for one would love to get a BoB POTY. Sadly I didn't get one last year due to the Aussie exchange rate shifting too far against the greenback.

Haven't really got an opinion on carvers either as I've loved just every pipe I've seen posted. Maybe we need to elect a benelevent dictator to make such decisions.  :D

Cheers

Tim

I'd love to jump in. I'll watch from afar for the time being though, as I doubt I can commit any amount of cash for something I don't "need." Occupation dictates such.

I don't think anyone has mentioned our brother Charles Goussard. He makes some spectacular pipes. In fact I've been thinking about having him make a pipe for me provided he can make one that uses a 9mm filter. :)

AJ

ajn27511":fb9z5jq6 said:
I don't think anyone has mentioned our brother Charles Goussard. He makes some spectacular pipes. In fact I've been thinking about having him make a pipe for me provided he can make one  that uses a 9mm filter. :)

AJ
Yes of course. Charl is also a fine carver.

Cheers,

RR